Dental Volunteering for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Bruins2013

I am going to be volunteering for a company that does reconstructive surgery for disadvantaged children. However, they only have "surgery weekends" every 2-3 months or so. The same company has dental clinics that do the same thing as the surgery weekends, except dental obviously. These clinics are held every month. Do you think that it would be beneficial to me to take part in the dental clinics as well? I want to become an MD or DO physician. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

dentist shadowing is still health-care, and i would think it will be a valuable experience. But of course MD/DO shadowing is best because that's what you want to become.

just be prepared to explain/know the difference between dental and medicine in your interviews and why you prefer medicine over dental.

ADCOM thinks to him or herself: "Does applicant X want to be a doctor or a dentist?" "Does applicant X know what the practice of a physician is?"

Members don't see this ad :)
ADCOM thinks to him or herself: "Does applicant X want to be a doctor or a dentist?" "Does applicant X know what the practice of a physician is?"

Jajaja. +1. Are you trying to become a dentist or a doctor? If you're not sure yet, go ahead and shadow them, but I think it wouldn't contribute anything to your application for med school. If adcoms ask about it, you could say that you wanted to make sure medicine was the right path for you.

This is no more relevant than veterinary experience to your medical ambitions. The principles are generally similar, but the practice of medicine in dental and allopathic care are fundamentally different.

You mean I won't be using my extensive knowledge of tail docking as a physician? :confused: