Dentist in Kentucky.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drago2184

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here is the deal. I am currently a sophmore at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and I plan to go back to my hometown after graduating. My hometown is located in Southern Kentucky and is extremely rural and poverty stricken. I realize that my income will be greatly reduced by doing this but I really want to help everyone I can from my small town. Question is---If I open a private practice in my hometown, what would the financial outlook look for me as a dentist. Any advice would be helpful.. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

OK, here is the deal. I am currently a sophmore at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and I plan to go back to my hometown after graduating. My hometown is located in Southern Kentucky and is extremely rural and poverty stricken. I realize that my income will be greatly reduced by doing this but I really want to help everyone I can from my small town. Question is---If I open a private practice in my hometown, what would the financial outlook look for me as a dentist. Any advice would be helpful.. Thanks in advance
Generally speaking, rural/small-town practice is very financially rewarding. Not only are you unlikely to face an income reduction by practicing in a poorly served area, you may well find yourself earning significantly above average due to favorable demographic ratios, minimal marketing expenditures, etc. The main reason many dentists don't choose to practice in that setting is that they would prefer to be closer to a metropolitan area where there is a wider variety of things to do with that income. Good luck to you.