Dentist Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supernova11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-dental student who will be applying during next year's cycle. I shadowed a dentist for two weeks in January of this year and was planning on asking him for a letter of recommendation. Do you think it's okay for me to ask him for a letter of rec even though there will be a year and a half gap between the time I shadowed him and when I will be applying?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools require dentist LORs. So although it's not ideal, it's necessary. Ask him nicely in person and tell him you're down to hang (not with that terminology) if he wants to get to know you better before writing the LOR. I took two of my letter writers to lunch and it was really fun!

Reactions: 1 user
I would certainly ask and explain to him the time that you'll be applying so that it doesn't 'feel' out of date when read. However, I would consider this a backup letter, as you can probably find something long term that will produce a much stronger LOR in the future. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed an Orthodontist in 2013 and asked him for a letter in late 2015. I gave him my personal statement and had a 30 minute chat with him explaining who I am and why I chose dentistry (felt almost like a casual dental school interview). I recently asked to add his letter to my portfolio now that I've been accepted and I could not believe how good it was.

Just be genuine and show your true kindness / passion for dentistry. If it worked for me, I don't see why it couldn't work for you too.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of schools require dentist LORs. So although it's not ideal, it's necessary. Ask him nicely in person and tell him you're down to hang (not with that terminology) if he wants to get to know you better before writing the LOR. I took two of my letter writers to lunch and it was really fun!
Bro you are too pro.

Reactions: 1 users