Dentist LOR - No official letterhead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentiger1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A dentist that I shadowed/worked a couple of years ago agreed to write a LOR for me, but he has now retired and he has no official office letterhead for the letter. I understand this is a unique situation, so would this be an issue at all? Would including contact information instead be permissible?

Thank you so much for your help and input!

Edit: Based on what I have seen, only some schools are very specific that the letter must be on official letterhead. Most schools don't mention this at all, but I have read that the official letterhead should be the standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention that I am set on applying to the California dental schools for sure (USC, UCLA, UoP, Western, UCSF, Loma Linda) and still looking into other schools out of state. If anyone has input, I would greatly appreciate it. I called the admissions offices but was not able to speak to anyone for a concrete answer.

You 100% need it to be written on letterhead. Every letter my committee wanted was required on letterhead. Obviously they are all different, but it looks way more professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine from my dentist was not on a letterhead from my understanding. In fact, he had me type in his AOL email address onto AADSAS. I have no idea how schools didn't think this fake. I asked him if anyone contacted him to confirm my experiences, but he said no.

He sent me a copy of the final product and it was literally just a regular letter typed out on a Word Document.

Mine from my dentist was not on a letterhead from my understanding. In fact, he had me type in his AOL email address onto AADSAS. I have no idea how schools didn't think this fake. I asked him if anyone contacted him to confirm my experiences, but he said no.

He sent me a copy of the final product and it was literally just a regular letter typed out on a Word Document.

Thanks for your input! It's reassuring to hear that.

After calling all the schools' admissions offices, I was told that the letter does not need to be on official letterhead. As long as the dentist's contact information is provided, it's fine. Hope this helps in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

Yeah none of my letters were on letterhead and I got an acceptance, so I think you would be alright.

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile app