Dentist or Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
life goes on

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaa *COUGH* The hangover movie, a DENTIST IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR, I LOVE THAT JOKE BECAUSE ITS SOMEWHAT TRUE...DENTAL EDUCATION IS WAY EASIER COMPARED TO MEDICAL EDUCATION + RESIDENCY.....sorry for Caps...haha but I want to emphasize my point

Wow, you're basing your view on a movie that's chock full of immature antics. Second, of couse dentists are not PHYSICIANS. But to say that they are not DOCTORS is just plain ignorant. Are they not doctors because their training is supposedly not as rigorous? If so, then I would say that PhDs are the real "doctors". Also, how would you know that dental education is not as hard or harder than a medical education? You're not in medical or dental school. What a ****ing tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry good luck to all and remember the health care system is a team..........

sorry good luck to all and remember the health care system is a team..........

Man, you are like a bad case of herpes. Just when you think it is about to go away, it flares up and ruins the party again! And there's no real treatment for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're basing your view on a movie that's chock full of immature antics. Second, of couse dentists are not PHYSICIANS. But to say that they are not DOCTORS is just plain ignorant. Are they not doctors because their training is supposedly not as rigorous? If so, then I would say that PhDs are the real "doctors". Also, how would you know that dental education is not as hard or harder than a medical education? You're not in medical or dental school. What a ****ing tool.

Finally! Let the torching begin!

Having no confidence in yourself will get you nowhere in life.

Just stating the facts.

Well, I was kinda in the same boat as the op, but my reasons were a bit different. The only reason I would like to go through med school would be due to me really liking surgery - working with my hands - and being able to cut into other parts than just the mouth. However, dentistry seems to be a better fit for me, because I have shadowed dentists and liked what I have seen. Moreover, I do not have to worry about not matching into surgery and not being able to do what I like. Although, I don't think matching into surgery is as difficult as matching into OMFS - at least the rates of match.

So why did you waste everyone's time?

It is safe to say that he is simply confused.

since clearly as of today I am confused and need to sort out the drama inside my head before I make a clear choice

Sure, I'm confused about my future, but that's why I'm on SDN

in the end, I'm just a college student confused about life, uneducated about politics in healthcare

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to assume that OP ends up not getting into any professional school.

premed idiot vs predent forum

:sleep:

At least he was entertaining.. But not quite sure how he got into a B.S./M.D. program.... he can't spell, write, or even make a point properly?? Hm.. what a waste..

This is the silliest thread I've ever seen. What adcom didn't manage to screen that guy out?

Can someone please delete this thread....thanks!

DENTAL EDUCATION IS WAY EASIER COMPARED TO MEDICAL EDUCATION + RESIDENCY.....sorry for Caps...haha but I want to emphasize my point

Just tell us your reasoning behind this statement, how did you figure this out?

We are just as curious as you are, don't you want to help us out too?

Haha, please don't. This thread will provide much entertainment for bored, future predents.

Worked for me. LOL.
And to the original poster, grow up. All of my pre-med friends know and understand that dental school is different than medical school. One is not easier to say but they are different. I hate these ignorant pre-med students bashing other professions because they believe what they want to do is higher than the rest. And no Dentistry is not less stressful than other fields, hence why dentists have the highest suicidal rates.

Grow a pair of balls and take your MCAT. ALL MED STUDENTS HAVE TO TAKE IT and they all don't cry about it.

Worked for me. LOL.
And to the original poster, grow up. All of my pre-med friends know and understand that dental school is different than medical school. One is not easier to say but they are different. I hate these ignorant pre-med students bashing other professions because they believe what they want to do is higher than the rest. And no Dentistry is not less stressful than other fields, hence why dentists have the highest suicidal rates.

Grow a pair of balls and take your MCAT. ALL MED STUDENTS HAVE TO TAKE IT and they all don't cry about it.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/suicide.html

Crappy reasoning anyway though.

hahahaa *COUGH* The hangover movie, a DENTIST IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR, I LOVE THAT JOKE BECAUSE ITS SOMEWHAT TRUE...DENTAL EDUCATION IS WAY EASIER COMPARED TO MEDICAL EDUCATION + RESIDENCY.....sorry for Caps...haha but I want to emphasize my point

I interviewed at a dental school (harvard) and had dinner with med students and dental students. They all agreed that the dental students work much harder.

I was interested in dental school at one time. In the end, the only thing I could see myself doing was OMFS. I've always believed that if you wouldn't be at least mildly content doing the general stuff then you probably shouldn't pursue it. I also liked the variety in medicine. Dentistry is a great profession and you can make people very happy and help people a ton, but I'm also the kind of guy that wants to be there in the life/death moments in addition to the more mundane. It is just what you can see yourself doing. This requires shadowing, some reflective time, and a little bit of guessing. Many of the docs that say not to pursue medicine are also old guard or went in with different expectations. Whereas many of the docs I shadowed began before the days of managed care, lawsuits, and all the other hurdles, this is all I know. It is what I grew up. I expect it to some degree. I'm sure I'll get jaded and bitter later on, but for now I have no regrets.

Basing your decision off of something that a guy may or may not do in a 4-8 year span is kind of stupid. If anything, the hours/pay may more closely resemble dentistry when done. Who knows. This crap is anyone's best guess. If anyone says what will happen they are too ignorant to realize they don't know.

wow, i could not even read that whole thread is was so ridiculous...

OP, how old are you? you really need to do some thinking to yourself. If you cant be committed to 8-10 years for medicine, then do yourself a favor and dont go into it...

Dental is not some easy back up plan...
your first post said "dentistry seems so boring"

then you should not go into dentistry either. its not somthing you can put up with for a few years and be done with. you will be practicing for 20 years and if it seems boring, you wont last.

do us a favor and grow up and stop making predents and premeds look bad

It is kind of funny. Here is a post that the OP posted in the pre-allo forum.

Don't worry about MCAT, the time will come when it arrives, and then you can worry, that's my plan for now....good luck to all!

This was posted after he is freaking out about taking the MCAT in this thread.

ahaha that was entertaining

Oh, and let's not forget to mention that the OP (PreMedHopeful) started this thread the other day in pre-allo:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=652491

I think he is starting to freak out that med schools will see this thread and link him to his perceived inadequacies. Hey, let's take a vote. Do we want to see if the mods will delete this thread for his sake? All in favor say aye. All opposed say HELL NO.

HELL NO!

This reminds me of another "pre-med" a while back who made a huge thread in which he detailed his plan to use dental school to circumvent the MCAT. It was full of limp-wristed remarks about how easy dental school is and how dentistry is an inferior profession. I think he was planning to get an M.D. through an OMFS residency. Yeah, he was willing to go through four years of dental school to avoid taking the MCAT and 2 years of medical school (and the competition of plastic surgery residencies). Blows my mind too.

in the end, you gotta do what you love and I love medicine, so reach for the stars and dream big!

One of the reasons I chose dentistry over medicine is that dentistry has many artistic aspects. Sure, dentists only focus on the mouth, but teeth have incredibly complex bone structures which dentists have to entirely understand when doing restorative procedures. In medicine, there is no finalizing artistic process (except for in plastic surgery). Furthermore, while medicine is harder than dentistry academically, dentistry often involves greater fine motor skills. Many areas of medicine (e.g. any surgical field) will involve fine motor coordination, but usually not to the degree that is applied in dentistry.

Even if this idiot was right, I'd rather be a dentist than a "doctor" anyday. :thumbup::thumbup:!

Sucks for him, he's also wrong :D!

whatever, dental/pharm/medicine...in the end everyone is in health-care, its a team, life goes on....sorry about this whole thread...someone can close it now

I'm always going to be a PremedHopeful and remain weird...cuz everyone is crazy-it's all about perspective and what you want in life....you do whatever that floats your boat, right...and I will be happier as a doctor because that's my dream:)

sir or madaam, rest assured that you will indeed weed yourself out of any professional school you apply for by your misconstrued ideas. go ahead, say what you've been saying here on SDN, enlighten the Adcoms with your knowledge and insight into the health-care fields. let us know how your interviews go when (if) they come.

Last edited by a moderator:
doctors pay high-malpractice premiums because informed people like you somehow matriculate through the cracks and end up servicing patients.

oh btw glenn beck is on right now, you'd better log off of SDN so you don't miss his lectures on OliGarHcIES.

:laugh: :laugh: you crack me up...

I think the op is making it up anyway. B/c if you get accepted in early-dec program, you are practically in with very average MCAT. For most eraly programs that means 25-27 which is like getting 17-18 in DAT. And then the fact that the op is applying to both MD and DO programs does not make sense (if he/she is already in early decision program). Their application and programs are diffrent !!!!

Actually, I've heard it argued that dentists are also physicians.

The definition of a physician is :A person licensed to practice medicine.

And dentistry is just another branch of medicine, and dentists are licensed to practice in it...

Ah, good ol' semantics.

solstice, i love your avitar

Thank you :D

That pretty much sums up this thread.

Maybe

Actually, I've heard it argued that dentists are also physicians.

The definition of a physician is :A person licensed to practice medicine.

And dentistry is just another branch of medicine, and dentists are licensed to practice in it...

Ah, good ol' semantics.

But this is a ture conclusion :eek:

solstice do you play world of warcraft moon runner server same name?

nop, that's not me, but thanks for letting me know so I can suite him/her for copying me. well I need some money for interview(S) too.

I have just about the same problem here ... I was thinking about becoming a Prosthodontist or a Neurosurgeon. I really am stuck on this one. I cannot decide which is best for me. I know that I want to be happy with whatever I do, but I can picture myself in both a Prosthodontist and a Neurosurgeon's shoes. I love the human body! I am also a very family oriented person. My parents are pushing for a dentist instead of a doctor because they say that I would probably not have to work as hard. Really, I just want to do whichever will make me happy, but now I do not know what will make me happy anymore. I am really stuck and could use some help and advice. I would appreciate it VERY MUCH if you all let me know what you think!
HELP!

And Thanks

I have just about the same problem here ... I was thinking about becoming a Prosthodontist or a Neurosurgeon. I really am stuck on this one. I cannot decide which is best for me. I know that I want to be happy with whatever I do, but I can picture myself in both a Prosthodontist and a Neurosurgeon's shoes. Ilovethe human body! I am also a very family oriented person. My parents are pushing for a dentist instead of a doctor because they say that I would probably not have to work as hard. Really, I just want to do whichever will make me happy, but now I do not know what will make me happy anymore. I am really stuck and could use some help and advice. I would appreciate it VERY MUCH if you all let me know what you think!
HELP!

And Thanks

People like you are irritating...just choose what you want and don't let your parent influence you.