Dentist to MD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JML1DDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you seen prior dentists in your classes. I am in my second year of Pediatric Dentistry. We treat a lot of medically compromised children (i.e. hemophilia, ALL, CP, various syndromes, etc.) After working with these children and in coroboration with the M.D.'s followin these children I really am considering going back to school for an M.D. What have ya'll seen as far as that goes. Any suggestions. I scored very high on my dental boards and graduated in top 20% of my dental class, however I have not taken the MCAT and If I do I am sure I won't score super high because I have not taken O-Chem and Physics, etc. Since at least 6-7 years. What are my options? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JML1DDS:
•Have any of you seen prior dentists in your classes. I am in my second year of Pediatric Dentistry. We treat a lot of medically compromised children (i.e. hemophilia, ALL, CP, various syndromes, etc.) After working with these children and in coroboration with the M.D.'s followin these children I really am considering going back to school for an M.D. What have ya'll seen as far as that goes. Any suggestions. I scored very high on my dental boards and graduated in top 20% of my dental class, however I have not taken the MCAT and If I do I am sure I won't score super high because I have not taken O-Chem and Physics, etc. Since at least 6-7 years. What are my options? Thanks•••••I would guess that you might face an uphill battle as far as getting accepted to med school. They might queston your dedication/motivation etc. Also, going to med school after finishing dental school is a huge step. You're talking another 4 years in school and then at least 3 years residency. You'll be 86 years old by the time you get out and start practicing! well, you know what I mean :wink:

I can understand the desire to go into medicine, but if I were you I would think really hard before leaving dentistry to embark on 4 yrs of school and 3 more years of residency (minimum). It's one thing if you are saying "my life will be absolutely miserable unless I get an MD" - if that's the case then go for it. But you will face an uphill fight for sure. MCATs will still be important and you will be expected to do very well regardless of the fact that you are out of school. Bottom line: if you can be at all happy/content remaining in dentistry - then do so! Just my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
I see what you are saying. I have looked into it and a few places offer a dual residency Pediatric Dentistry/M.D. Starting as a 2nd year MD student finishing Med school then doing 2 year pediatric dentistry residency. Dual degree DDS/MD kinda like OMFS (oral maxillo-facial surgery) I am looking into this option.

I work in a hospital and though I don't know the specifics of how he went back and obtained his MD degree, I can vouch for the fact that it can be done. One of the pediatricians was a dentist before going back to medical school and went through an Internal Med/Peds residency. He has built a strong practice though he has only been in town a little over a year. I would check with the schools that you are interested in and see what they recommend you do. Good luck.

I know personally of two people who were dentists and returned to school to pursue an MD. One was the plastic surgeon I met while he was sewing up my face (hit by a car i was); and the other is currently an M2 in Minnesota. So it can be done.

Yes, you have some work ahead of you reviewing long-forgotten material for the MCAT, but that too can be done. Case in point, I took my physics in 1992, but relearned what I needed on my own and scored well on the MCAT in 2001.

Don't let the time factor stop you. You'll get older no matter what, so you might as well get older doing what you really want!

Good Luck!