Dentistry: Ambitions and Trascendence?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saikyo-Shikai

Accredited User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow practitioners!
Last weekend, on Sunday to be precise, a close relative asked me about the potential that dentistry has to give you fame, power, and all those things that a lot of people crave to possess: recognition, greatness, world changing potential, maybe prestige... or on other more benevolent tone, the potential to make a huge change for humankind that could influence or help the future generations to come, maybe just research, say writing books, lecturing or doing something great aside traditional dentistry to change history/the world. Leaving a legacy, other than your own practice.

She also poder stuff with me about the self, ambition, legacy, continuity and trascendence.

Dentistry is fullfiling to me, but probably not for her, who seems to value trascendence of her personality on a far-reaching level. hmmm. and then throws me comparations of other fields like medicine, philosophy, politics, music, arts ... by the way, she thinks that there is no art in dentistry, which I know to be failed :cool: (there's a lot of art in my dental practice!), but I must agree that is not the kind of art she is reffering to; creative art, something new and personal, original, rather than working on making something already ideallized (as teeth aesthetics, natural looking pieces, a curator's job perhaps?).

Maybe dental practice is of no good option for this relative of mine, :( although you could perhaps spark some ideas on how a single dental practice can let a practitioner become famous (or infamous), creative and trascendent in a world level. What do you come to think at this view? :rolleyes: :)

Members don't see this ad.

Saikyo-Shikai said:
Last weekend, on Sunday to be precise, a close relative asked me about the potential that dentistry has to give you fame, power, and all those things that a lot of people crave to possess: recognition, greatness, world changing potential, maybe prestige... or on other more benevolent tone, the potential to make a huge change for humankind that could influence or help the future generations to come, maybe just research, say writing books, lecturing or doing something great aside traditional dentistry to change history/the world. Leaving a legacy, other than your own practice.

She also poder stuff with me about the self, ambition, legacy, continuity and trascendence.

Dentistry is fullfiling to me, but probably not for her, who seems to value trascendence of her personality on a far-reaching level. hmmm. and then throws me comparations of other fields like medicine, philosophy, politics, music, arts ... by the way, she thinks that there is no art in dentistry, which I know to be failed :cool: (there's a lot of art in my dental practice!), but I must agree that is not the kind of art she is reffering to; creative art, something new and personal, original, rather than working on making something already ideallized (as teeth aesthetics, natural looking pieces, a curator's job perhaps?).

Maybe dental practice is of no good option for this relative of mine, :( although you could perhaps spark some ideas on how a single dental practice can let a practitioner become famous (or infamous), creative and trascendent in a world level. What do you come to think at this view? :rolleyes: :)

i know alot of ppl in impoverished countries lack dental care, a neurosurgeon from my school went with a team of other medical and dental personnel to south america, seeing they needed more help with dental procedures than neurosurgery, he learned some dental procedures and started to do dentistry there...

i think its very unlikely that any human would be remmembered by the world once they are dead, but its very likely that one person you touch and help would remember you...

Saikyo-Shikai said:
Last weekend, on Sunday to be precise, a close relative asked me about the potential that dentistry has to give you fame, power, and all those things that a lot of people crave to possess: recognition, greatness, world changing potential, maybe prestige...

and then throws me comparations of other fields like medicine, philosophy, politics, music, arts ...

Well, studying philosophy, music and arts in college doesn't really increase your chances of obtaining fame or power but it does increase the likelihood that your career will peak when you are promoted to manager at the local McDonald's. Now, if that isn't transcendent --- I don't know what is. :laugh:

And the great majority of physicians and politicians aren't going to make any bigger mark on the world than your average US worker. Despite what you see on ER, the rate at which doctors from Chicago make an unexpected layover and end up saving an entire African country from a killer epidemic is actually pretty infrequent. They are managing hypertension, taking out tonsils, etc...

Most politicians spend 90% of their time trying to keep their job, 9% managing staff and paperwork, and 1% thinking about important issues.

The people who leave the biggest footprints in this world are people who are passionate. It is less about what these people do for a living and more about what they live for. Ben Franklin was a printer, Paul Revere a blacksmith. Bach was a church organist. Sometimes --- no, most of the time --- incredible people have mundane jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
...and Einstein worked in a patent office shuffling papers.

trypmo said:
...and Einstein worked in a patent office shuffling papers.

PETER
You're always so concerned about your reputation. Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!

RAY
You know how much a patent clerk earns?

PETER
No!

RAY
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities. We didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results.

Saikyo-Shikai said:

Is your "closed relative" a crack head? Is she on medications?
"fame, power, prestige, greatness"? such an illusion of grandeur.

12YearOldKid said:
Well, studying philosophy, music and arts in college doesn't really increase your chances of obtaining fame or power but it does increase the likelihood that your career will peak when you are promoted to manager at the local McDonald's. Now, if that isn't transcendent --- I don't know what is. :laugh:

And the great majority of physicians and politicians aren't going to make any bigger mark on the world than your average US worker. Despite what you see on ER, the rate at which doctors from Chicago make an unexpected layover and end up saving an entire African country from a killer epidemic is actually pretty infrequent. They are managing hypertension, taking out tonsils, etc...

Most politicians spend 90% of their time trying to keep their job, 9% managing staff and paperwork, and 1% thinking about important issues.

The people who leave the biggest footprints in this world are people who are passionate. It is less about what these people do for a living and more about what they live for. Ben Franklin was a printer, Paul Revere a blacksmith. Bach was a church organist. Sometimes --- no, most of the time --- incredible people have mundane jobs.

Yes, it is PASSION :love: which drives those who live on the fringe of society daring to make a difference in the world. Those who believe wholeheartedly in what they do and are driven despite opposition will go far.

If you want any sense or meaning from your life, you have to do whatever it is that YOU want and not give a s**t :thumbdown: about what others say. If you listen to others' opinions and let them define who you are, you won't go far in life.

At some point in your life, you have to block your ears to the world and say "I don't give a f**k what others tell me! I am going to do what I WANT because this is MY choice and MY life and I BELIEVE in myself."

Those that accomplish much are those who have faced opposition head on and have faced their fears and did not let these factors deter them from their ambitions . If anything , it is these very things which DRIVE an individual to pursue their passions.

I completely agree with you Smilemaker100.

duh? said:
I completely agree with you Smilemaker100.

Thanks, :) some people would perceive my attitude as being "fresh" or even "sassy" but that is who I am and too bad if you don't like it! I am not going to change to please others!

Gargamel said:
[....]
RAY
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities. We didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results.

Dad, is that you, cleverly disguised as a new SDN member?? :laugh:

Really, though, you do sound just like my dad. Very funny, and a little creepy.

trypmo said:
Dad, is that you, cleverly disguised as a new SDN member?? :laugh:

Really, though, you do sound just like my dad. Very funny, and a little creepy.

Actually that's a line from one of the most amazing movies of all time. You must be VERY young if you didn't recognize it.

ARguy said:
Actually that's a line from one of the most amazing movies of all time. You must be VERY young if you didn't recognize it.
Awww, that's the niceset thing anyone's said to me in a long time. :) It's like still getting carded for beer. YES!! :thumbup:

Slightly off topic......

If you look closely at the Ray Charles CD (the one that came out with the movie, Ray), you can see a metal clasp on his #12 or #13.

Doggie said:
Slightly off topic......

If you look closely at the Ray Charles CD (the one that came out with the movie, Ray), you can see a metal clasp on his #12 or #13.

yea i noticed that too