dentistry and basketball

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone on these forums play basketball? still a few weeks till d-school officially starts. i've had a lot of free time on my hands and i've been playing some bball. i sit here typing right now with two jammed fingers... it got me thinking...can dentists afford to play sports like basketball where the risk of injuring oneself, specifically hands/fingers, exists?

Members don't see this ad.

vaio said:
anyone on these forums play basketball? still a few weeks till d-school officially starts. i've had a lot of free time on my hands and i've been playing some bball. i sit here typing right now with two jammed fingers... it got me thinking...can dentists afford to play sports like basketball where the risk of injuring oneself, specifically hands/fingers, exists?

i like to watch.

ucla just got a pretty good player and Farmar was signed with the lakers - so we now have a new Mark Madson!

-Tuesday, Howland's four-year recruitment of the best big man in the class of 2007 paid off when the 6-9 Love announced he would go to UCLA, choosing the Bruins over North Carolina-

its called golf and tennis

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:
i like to watch.

ucla just got a pretty good player and Farmar was signed with the lakers - so we now have a new Mark Madson!

-Tuesday, Howland's four-year recruitment of the best big man in the class of 2007 paid off when the 6-9 Love announced he would go to UCLA, choosing the Bruins over North Carolina-

madsen? lakers don't need another male cheerleader ;) they have the laker girls for that

nothen2do said:
its called golf and tennis

i don't play tennis....i've played golf a few times, but i find it incredibly boring and frustrating to play.

I still box, was on the club team in undergrad,
golf will never keep you in shape

bsmcga0 said:
I still box, was on the club team in undergrad,
golf will never keep you in shape

i don't box but i like to watch. i could be good, i got a pretty big wing span/reach :cool:

vaio said:

When I used to play soccer, I was goalie. I dislocated my finger twice and broke a wrist.

When I moved to tae kwon do, I always got bruised up and drained me the next day.

Best thing to do is stay away from contact sports. Excercise to stay in shape, play golf or tennis or racquetball to have fun. Thats what I do.

Basketball was never my thing, and its not as much contact. Boxing is a disability waiting to happen.

Just my opinion

Tennis can seriously injure your wrists and elbow if you are not using the right equipment.

I recently had to spend quite a bit on a couple of new racquets and new tennis shoes with more cushioning since i go through 1 pair every month (it's pretty hard on pockets). But i love this sport.

Is golf a sport? i think it's more like a recreational activity (or inactivity).

running and soccer, don't need to use your hands at all.

cricket is like the weirdest sport ever. A match that can last for over a day? My attention span isn't that long.

Members don't see this ad :)
vaio said:

It's SO important to protect your hands. This isn't just limited to sports, but to making sure you're typing correctly, not sleeping with your wrists bent (so that you wake up and your hands are numb), etc. etc. This is your livelihood, your career, your future! You can still take precautions and don't have to go around with your hands wadded up in foam, but just remember how much is at stake in those tiny little phelanges :D

gator1210 said:
Boxing is a disability waiting to happen.

Just my opinion

so is growing v@ginas all over your body, haha from southpark

INFNITE said:
cricket is like the weirdest sport ever. A match that can last for over a day? My attention span isn't that long.

Therefore, watcing and playing cricket has a direct co-relation to your dental education and grades, thus your future.

Hahaha, now you regret, don't you?!

I'mFillingFine said:
It's SO important to protect your hands. This isn't just limited to sports, but to making sure you're typing correctly, not sleeping with your wrists bent (so that you wake up and your hands are numb), etc. etc. This is your livelihood, your career, your future! You can still take precautions and don't have to go around with your hands wadded up in foam, but just remember how much is at stake in those tiny little phelanges :D
Tennis & volleyball as often as I can. Sure, you take care of yourself, but freak accidents are what disability insurance is for. You can't spend your life in a bubble because you're afraid of getting a paper cut on your money hand.

drengineer said:
How about cricket?

I would certainly love to play it however, I doubt many people play cricket as it takes forever to finish the game and requires like 11 people in each team....

heck with it..play whatever u want..me too, off to the gym again

how about poker!

that's a sport with no risk of hand injury, unless you count breaking a nail on a 11.5gram clay chip.

howui3 said:
how about poker!

that's a sport with no risk of hand injury, unless you count breaking a nail on a 11.5gram clay chip.

i want to learn poker.

I used to play basketball. Well, until last November. I was pulling up for a jumpshot and a guy whacked me right in the mouth. Two of my front teeth were loose as a result. It had me saddened. I stopped playing as a result. Its too much contact. I got a lot of other injuries before (ankle, shoulder, partially torn ACL, finger) and never thought of quitting. But when I get injured above my chest, then I become deterred. With basketball, you never know when things are going to happen.

I think as long as your not a competitive thumb wrestler, you'll be ok. Enjoy life.

This is the lamest thread ever. Play what you want. Enjoy life. I'm not saying do risky things just to do them, but dentistry is your career, not your life. Most of my classmates and I are very active, with working out, lifting weights, playing basketball, soccer, softball,etc. Enjoy yourself whenever you can.

Golf can keep you in-shape if you walk 18holes carrying your clubs on your back. You're not going to get ripped, but you'll burn a lot of calories.

i don't know why i made this thread...ignore it....i'm still going to play/do what i enjoy