Dentistry and Hearing Loss?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ericokle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that dentists are at a higher risk for hearing loss because of the daily, long-term exposure to the high pitched noise of the high speed dental tools, as the the following article and study seem to suggest?

Hearing Loss And High-speed Dental Tools

After 36 years in private dental practice, Fred Kreutzer, D.M.D., began struggling to hear. It's been five years since he retired from his practice and Kreutzer now wears hearing aids in both ears. Although he has a family history of hearing loss, he believes the high-speed tools he worked with eight hours a day for so many years may have played a role in his hearing troubles. "I think if you listen to any high-pitched noise for any length of time, it will get to you eventually," said Kreutzer, an assistant professor in operative dentistry at the OHSU School of Dentistry.

[...]

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/49678.php

Members don't see this ad.

No offense dude, but it is 12:28am est on Nov 30th and I don't think anyone is concerned about hearing loss right now.

I've heard is true. Dentists I know told me so. Oh well, is better than getting cancer due to some pollution exposure

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't like the responses you got on the dental forum so you started the exact same thread over here?

LOL

And, to the OP....by the time we're dentists, they're going to have better technology. And, actually, some dentists are already starting to use lasers to cut teeth!!

My father is a dentist who has been practicing for 20+ years. Anyway, he has lost some of his hearing. It's not too bad but he listens to the TV really loud now. Also, he complains of back pains and wrist pains as well. Just something to think about.