1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dentistry as a career

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Jimmy B, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I have been thinking about dentistry for the past few days-here are my stats:

GPA-3.7
    science GPA: 3.8
    DAT-plan on taking it (took the MCAT twice)

I am really considering dentistry since I love to work with my hands and I am a big visual/conceptual person. I've been able to work with my hands for hours on end ever since I was a kid. I've heard a lot of good things about this career but are there any negative points to dentistry? I know medicine has a lot (insurance, long hours) but I haven't heard much about dentistry. Has anyone taken the DAT more than once? I know the science part is a lot easier than the MCAT, but the quantitavie part is pretty tough as well as the PAT part.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

negatives of dentistry:
    your in charge.... if the business fails its your fault.
    inter office stealing..... i.e business manager cooking books.

positives.....

You can make a difference in your patients life.

Your in charge... If you work hard the business can grow and you can reap the benefits of your hard work.

You decide your hours, if you work a lot of hours thats up to you, but if you don't want to work a lot of hours thats your business.

Job security...

great time to get into dentistry... A lot of practioners are retiring.

lots of avenues of dentistry.... academic, endo,perio, pros,pedo, foresenic..

Dental research..

personal satisfaction.