Dentistry for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) !!!

I am an international student applying for dental schools, and got a very important question: Can international students work as dentists in the U.S. after graduating? Can they open their own dental office? How do they get a work permit? Are there a lot of foreign trained dentists who want to work in the U.S.?

Thanks,
D.C.

Members don't see this ad.

To practice in the US, you will need to fulfill licensure requirements and visa requirements. The processes are not related. Both need to be completed separately.

Thanks for reply! If they need a visa they can not open their own office, but need to find an employer who sponsors a visa right? Are there any statistics about where foreign trained dentists work like government, private clinics, military etc.?

Thanks for any information :) ,
Magyar

Members don't see this ad :)
If they need a visa they can not open their own office, but need to find an employer who sponsors a visa right?

I believe so.

Are there any statistics about where foreign trained dentists work like government, private clinics, military etc.?

Not that I know of.

Thanks a lot :)! Does anyone know companies which sponsor working visas for foreign trained dentists or international graduates?