dentistry in australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ada22ching

ada22ching
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to study dentistry in australia as an international student from Hong Kong. When i finish my BDS degree five years later, i know that i will need to apply for PR in Australia and practise dentistry there. However, if my applicaton of PR fails, then i must leave Australia. I am worried that i can't practise dentistry even after finishing the BDS degree.

My questions are:

Is it very easy to stay in Australia (ie get PR) after qualifying as dentist?

Can all international dental students get employment contracts in Australia shortly after graduation?

Besides Australia and New Zealand, what other countries would immediately recognize the Australian dental degrees without further licensing exams?

Have you heard of any Australian dental graduates who cannot practice as dentists due to similar problems that i face and have to change to other careers?

Is it common for dental students to spend one or more years to complete the BDS program?

If, after getting the BDS degree, i don't practise dentistry for a certain period of time, will i have problem renewing my state license?

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Would anyone please help? I basically want to know,

What are the employment prospects for newly graduate dentists in Australia? Is it very easy for dental students, including international students, in Australia to seek employment shortly after graduation?

Thanks!

You should search the forum or perhaps message Dr.Millisevert as he is a final year dental student.

I do not like to comment on things I haven't had personal experience with because often, unless you've dealt with several people who've gone through something, or you've done it yourself, the information you give is purely rumour and hearsay.

Based on my knowledge of things, at the moment, Australia has a shortage of dentists which is much more severe than its doctor shortage. I believe this is based on the availability of dentists in the public system.

Immigration laws change but because I sincerely doubt the workforce shortages in dentistries will be ameliorated in the next 10+ years.... I am certain you could work the system to stay.

At the moment, being a dentist will help you with your permanent residency application. I am almost certain that when you graduate, you can get a working visa to stay while you apply for a PR.

If you really want to be a dentist and have exhausted your possibilities in your own country, give Australia a shot. I think it's a safe bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I have a friend who has a dental degree 2000 and just one year of exp as volunteer dentist after that she stopped working as dentist due to health and family reasons. She will be coming to Australia as perm resident soon. She wants her dental career back badly as a dentist without any experience as such.

What is the way for her beside doing Doing fulltime dental degree course all over again over here?
Are there any other courses available for such overseas dentists who might be not eligible for ADC or not get accepted by ADC to sit for the exams.

Do newly graduate overseas dentists without experience beside one yr internship get accepted by ADC to sit for the exam or join OTC somewhere?

Where & to whom take her case for better explanation and guidance?

I Told her whatever I knew but she wanted some more info from everybody who might hav more solild information regarding this case.
Plz writte whatever idea u have.

Hi everyone,
I have a friend who has a dental degree 2000 and just one year of exp as volunteer dentist after that she stopped working as dentist due to health and family reasons. She will be coming to Australia as perm resident soon. She wants her dental career back badly as a dentist without any experience as such.

What is the way for her beside doing Doing fulltime dental degree course all over again over here?
Are there any other courses available for such overseas dentists who might be not eligible for ADC or not get accepted by ADC to sit for the exams.

Do newly graduate overseas dentists without experience beside one yr internship get accepted by ADC to sit for the exam or join OTC somewhere?

Where & to whom take her case for better explanation and guidance?

I Told her whatever I knew but she wanted some more info from everybody who might hav more solild information regarding this case.
Plz writte whatever idea u have.

The University of Adelaide has a 2 year advance standing program for foreign trained dentists so they can earn an Australian dental degree. Tell your friend to email them for more information. :thumbup: Goodluck

Thanks for the advice but I think they have some very strict criterias or assessments. Well, Hope they consider her inspite of her being out of touch with dentistry for a long time! I will tell her to contact them soon. Thanks doc!!
all the best with ur studies u r in third yr I presume!!