dentistry in california - how bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redpillchick

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how saturated is it? what are job opportunities looking like in 5 yrs or so? Moving to the sacramento area probably.

would it be possible to make $100k (not that much as starting but maybe down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Worked in california- central and bay area for 2 years. Was making about 100-120 give or take 5 days a week. Moved up to washington, making about 200k without bonus- so more if its a good month. Working 4 days on, then 5 days on....

California sucks for dentists.

Edit: with your debt load, 100-120k is not sustainable
These are simply my opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
im not in it for the $$$ haha but thats good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
the average salary according to different sites is 130k-150k. is this only attainable after building a patient base for 10-15 yrs?

the average salary according to different sites is 130k-150k. is this only attainable after building a patient base for 10-15 yrs?

Perhaps. I know people making less then 100 in california. If you aren't in it for the money, you'll be fine anywhere. California is really rough on new graduates. 150k+ attainable later on with experience sure, but thats anywhere.

Disaster. I can't find an honest dentist. Upsale and unprofessionalism everywhere

Is it really that bad even in the more rural parts, like in the very north of CA?

I don't believe it's that bad in the more rural parts; however, you have to ask yourself;

Why should I live in a rural part of California to make a comfortable living...

When you could move to another state and live in the city or nice suburb and make as much as a rural dentist in California?

Unless you grew up in that rural town and that's how you want to live...that makes sense. It doesn't make sense to go out of the way super rural when you could just as much or more in a less saturated state. Quality of life man!

And yes the saturated parts of California is bad. You have no idea.

yeah i was thinking about going to dental school but i don't think my heart is in it as much as med school. i did shadow a dentist and liked the idea of sculpting, working w/ my hands, and being my own boss tho.

yeah i was thinking about going to dental school but i don't think my heart is in it as much as med school. i did shadow a dentist and liked the idea of sculpting, working w/ my hands, and being my own boss tho.
I saw your other thread. If your priority is being in California, and you don't even care what job you have, do something that requires less training and leaves you with less debt. Maybe something else in the medical field, or a dental hygienist.

Reactions: 2 users
yeah im thinking about it....shadowing a PA and a dentist so we'll see. i already applied to a bunch of med schools.

how saturated is it? what are job opportunities looking like in 5 yrs or so? Moving to the sacramento area probably.

would it be possible to make $100k (not that much as starting but maybe down the line?
I know a family friend who practices dentistry in Sacramento. The answer? No, just no. If you think a place like Los Angeles is saturated, dentistry-wise, Sacramento is worse, because it is mostly residential and lacks many Fortune 500 businesses. Practicing in California, in general, is career suicide. I've personally applied to many OOS programs, and whether they see me as a typical Asian Californian and throw my AADSAS away, we'll see.

Edit: spelling error

If you're in it to make money, and in California, bad news all around. There are people who need care in California, but they're not going to be the ones most able to pay for dental work.

If you're looking to make money in general, I'd recommend investment banking, real estate, or consulting.