Dentistry in Canada after 2009 for Graduates of Non-accredited Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDDS

Dentally Yours
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Information for Graduates of Non-accredited Programs

(www.acfd.ca)

The Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD/AFDC) facilitates graduates of non-accredited dental programs in becoming licensed practitioners in Canada by providing the Eligibility Examination/Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) for general dentists and the Dental Specialty Core Knowledge Examination (DSCKE) for graduates of specialty programs.

The Eligibility Examination is currently an admissions requirement used by dental education institutions that provide a Qualifying Program or a Degree Completion Program for general dentists. In 2010, the PLA will replace the Eligibility Examination as the requirement for entry into these programs.

The DSCKE is used to facilitate the admission process for entry into Dental Specialty Assessment and Training Programs (DSATP) offered at various Canadian faculties of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Dates and Fees

Application and Registration Instructions – 2010
Application – December 1, 2009: $400.00
The completed Application Form and all of the required documents outlined on page 3 of the Application Form must be received by the ACFD office by the registration deadline date for the Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge examination. The Application Form must be completed legibly and must include your current address, telephone number and email address in case we need to contact you.
The Application Fee is payable once and is non-refundable.
World Education Service (WES)
You must apply to WES (http://wes...) and pay the necessary fees to have the required documents sent by your institution directly to WES for verification.
Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge Examination - February6, 2010: $800.00
To register for an examination, you must notify the ACFD office in writing of your intent to take the examination. Please pay particular attention to your choice of examination location and language, as no changes will be accepted after the registration deadline.
The registration deadline is December 1, 2009. No late registrations will be accepted.
Assessment of Clinical Skills Examination - June 11-13, 2010: $4000.00
To be eligible to register for an examination, you must obtain a minimum overall test equated score of 75 on the Fundamental Knowledge Examination. Please notify the ACFD office in writing of your intent to take the examination. Please pay particular attention to your choice of examination location and language, as no changes will be accepted after the registration deadline.
The registration deadline is April 30, 2010. No late registrations will be accepted.
return_to_top.gif

Withdrawal from an Examination:
In circumstances when an individual must withdraw from the examination, the ACFD office must be notified in writing as soon as possible.
If notification to withdraw is received by the ACFD office in writing prior to the registration deadline the full examination fee will refunded.
Individuals who withdraw from the examination after the registration deadline, and up to 15 days prior to the examination are entitled to a refund of 50% of Examination fee.
Individuals who withdraw from an examination within 14 days, or fail to appear for the examination are not entitled to a refund.
Manual Re-scoring of the Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge Examination: $200.00
Candidates who wish to have their examination remarked can request a manual re-score. Requests for a manual re-score must be submitted to the ACFD office in writing within 3 months of the examination date.
Request for Review of the Results of the Assessment of Clinical Skills Examination: $500.00
A candidate may request a review of the score of any component of their Assessment of Clinical Skills Examination result and is entitled to make submissions in writing to the ACFD within one month of the release of results. These submissions must clearly identify the component(s) that the candidate wants reviewed and must set out the grounds for requesting to have the score changed.
All payments must be made in Canadian funds to the order of the Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry. Funds from outside of Canada must be sent in the form of a money order or bank draft. The ACFD does not accept credit card payments.

I do not understand the following statement,
The DSCKE is used to facilitate the admission process for entry into Dental Specialty Assessment and Training Programs (DSATP) offered at various Canadian faculties of dentistry.
Does it mean a separate program for people with speciality?

I do not understand the following statement,
Does it mean a separate program for people with speciality?

Obviously yes:rolleyes:. But we don't know for how long/how much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monreal, do u have masters degree from your country? r u studying dentistry in canada or planning to study?

hi guys
i am looking for study material for licensing exam.Please wriet back form where to srudy.Thanks

why they made it more complicated ??:thumbdown:meanie::smuggrin::smuggrin:

i'm going to chang my major to other which is more easier than this :sleep:

really really baaaaad:scared:

Lolitadento, do not get frustrated.Give your best for EE in May'09 and do not change your field.If you want you can give NBDE and try in US schools.It is easier to get admission there.

Hi ,
Can you please tell me how can i buy dental deck in vancouver ,canada .Is there any store where i can get this book ?
Cinderella

hello everybody,
i am new here and i wish to enroll in a canadian program for ftds in the future.
i understand which textbooks i must use, but its really hard for me to understand whats happening here besides the studying part- after reading so many threads about this entire changing process of getting into school.
as you all know, the acfd site is kind of vague.
it would be of great help if someone would draw me a picture:)
thanks a lot!

BDDS there is no information on the ACFD website about the PLA. For the time being the EE is maintained.
There might be minor changes to EE which will be posted in November, however it is expected that the current path will be maintained.
This is the information I am getting from the ACFD web-site.
May I know where did you get your information?
Is your information official?
Can we have a link to a website where we can read your information?

BDDS there is no information on the ACFD website about the PLA. For the time being the EE is maintained.
There might be minor changes to EE which will be posted in November, however it is expected that the current path will be maintained.
This is the information I am getting from the ACFD web-site.
May I know where did you get your information?
Is your information official?
Can we have a link to a website where we can read your information?

You do realize the date on BDDS post. Right?

Information for Graduates of Non-accredited Programs

(www.acfd.ca)

The Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry (ACFD/AFDC) facilitates graduates of non-accredited dental programs in becoming licensed practitioners in Canada by providing the Eligibility Examination/Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) for general dentists and the Dental Specialty Core Knowledge Examination (DSCKE) for graduates of specialty programs.

The Eligibility Examination is currently an admissions requirement used by dental education institutions that provide a Qualifying Program or a Degree Completion Program for general dentists. In 2010, the PLA will replace the Eligibility Examination as the requirement for entry into these programs.

Eligibility exam has two parts of fee one for registration and the other for test itself. there are two seperate application forms too. but the info is not clear can somebody help me