dentistry is actually atleast 5 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:(i was actually not sure about this because its four years of dental school plus one year of residency, atleast, for general practice. is that right? so even after denal school, we cant get out and practice right away as an associate, is that right? can anyone please shed some light on this?
so it is never going to end is it... even after dental school, i have to compete to become a general dentist..

Members don't see this ad.

There are only certain states where a residency is required to practice general dentistry, New York is one and I can't remember the other (Connecticut? Rhode Island?)

Or you can just be a rockstar and go to the accelerated 3 year program at University of the Pacific.

You are always going to have to do some form of schooling...and you can practice right out of school, just not in NY (maybe another state or two, i don't know). Just be thankful that it isn't like medical school where you may have an internship and a residency...

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe most states do not require a GPResidency or an AEGD. There are only a few states ^ such as NY that do require it. For all the rest, you can beging practicing as soon as you graduate and pass the licensing boards for your respective region. You can associate, buy a practice, start a practice etc.

To get a license in New York you need to complete a General Practice Residency (PGY-1).

If you DO NOT want to work in New York, you can get a license by passing a licensing exam, either the North East Regional Board (NERB) or the Western Boards (WREB). If you were to take both of those exams you are able to get licensed in about 46 states, I think...(NOT new york, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina maybe...)

Hope this helps.

what about schools like Loma Linda and UCSF? do they require GPR to practice also?

and no, california does not require it.

I feel legislation in the future will make GPR or AEGD residencies a requirement for every state. It only makes sense.

I feel legislation in the future will make GPR or AEGD residencies a requirement for every state. It only makes sense.
That's essentially the same thing as making dental school 5 years. and thats a debate I'm sure found elsewhere on this forum

That's essentially the same thing as making dental school 5 years.

Well, maybe for AEGDs but GPRs are hospital-based. Also, at least for NY, that year of residency replaces some of your boards/licensure exams (I keep forgetting which sections specifically.) That's the whole point of it....the NY component of the ADA didn't think it was ethical to examine that portion of the tests and wanted new grads to get out and have clinical experience instead.

So it's not like they're just "tacking on" the year...it's a very politically charged issue of the best way to send d-school grads into practice.

So what if you get out of the school, get your license and practice in one of those 46 state for a year or two. Can you come back to New York and practice?

I've talked to faculty about requiring residency to practice and they all view that very favorably. I think dentistry is eventually going to be headed the way of medical training. Dental school then one or two year residency. This seems to make sense because people coming out of dental school are very raw and green.