1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dentistry: Not that hot

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Enmarchad, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmarchad

A lot of you probably have chosen dentistry here over medicine because of "money" or "lifestyle" as compared to medicine (everyone is always compared to being a physician in the healthcare field). While it is true that most dentists work in comfortable practices and have a better "lifestyle" than physician, medicine runs in cycles. Today dentistry is the hot thing - in 20 years the environemnt could change a lot. Personally, I don't see the whole cushion dentistry thing lasting much longer. There is a big time difference in the level of education needed to fill a cavity/clean a tooth/perform a root canal as compared to performing medical surgery. IF you think about it part of the reason why dentistry is so appealing is the short amount of time before practicing - but this is also a downfall because that means they are easily replaced. In the end, in practice dentists do not utilize the breadth of knowledge about the human body that an MD must do on a daily basis. Also, while dental schools start out learning a lot of fascinating info on anatomy and similar stuff, by the time of their third year, they start to only concentrate on hand-work instead, hence similar to a trade school. These trade school techniques
    require not a lot of knowledge about pathology, usually only needing hand skills similar to those of an artist or a plumber.

Many dentists are very unethical. There aren't official stats to support this just like there aren't official stats to support that many dentists are unethical. The public does not view doctors in this same regard. A patient does not fear a doctor scheduling them for a random procedure they are unaware of when they feel perfectly healthy. In fact, it's quite the opposite. They feel doctors don't do enough to serve them, and many patients will actually demand and request a full work-up when one isn't required. I never suggested the majority of dentists were corrupt but there is a significant portion of them who routinely cheat patients to the point that there are several websites, books, television documentaries, jokes about them in pop culture to suggest that you are aware of this phenomenon to some degree.

I went to see a dentist for a clearning; I had no pain like you assume. I have never had any cavities. I don't have a family history of cavities. I'm pretty regular about hygiene. The dentist suggested I get my molars sealed because their shape was deep which could later lead to cavities. I was suspicious so I saw another dentist who laughed at the previous dentist's recommendation and said I didn't need that. I then saw a "friend" who was a dentist suggested I put a crown on a different tooth altogether that both the other dentists missed. This was all done within a 2 week time span. 3 dentists had 3 different diagnoses? I talked to another dentist who is a member of our family. She said there is a large ethical gray area in dentistry that concerns "preventive care" in which the patient doesn't currently have anything wrong but X-rays may indicate a problem in the near future. However, she said that in many situations, the dentist could realistically avoid performing a procedure and wait for a more conclusive diagnosis but many dentists would go ahead and do the procedure "just to be on the safe side." Sound familiar? Dentists also try to push whitening and bleaching tray products which I don't feel is appropriate. There is a difference between knowing a service is available and pushing a service onto a patient which dentists are notorious for doing when it comes teeth whitening.

If dentists want to improve their perception among the public and hence their prestige, they need to address the fact that a significant percentage of their colleauges are unethical and simply trying to build the million dollar practice. You can't just downplay this by suggesting that all medical fields have their wackos. You guys even have magazines that unabashedly devote themselves to building these lucrative practices. In one of those magazines, they had photos of dentists posing at their practices. Some of the practices looked like Liberace built them with huge gaudy aquariums. It also doesn't help that when you drive on the freeway, you see big banners with ZOOM on them and some dentists' practice being advertised. These incidents only reinforce the image, however false it may be, that you are businessmen first and health providers second. This is why the public doesn't view dentists in the same light as doctors. Maybe it's time dentists took some responsibility for their image? I know as osteopaths we need to take responsibility for our image. We continue to preach about cranial manipulation although the evidence supporting such a practice is anecdotal. If we want the public to view us as equal to M.D. then we need to police ourselves. Even though the majority of osteopaths do not believe in cranial manipulation, we don't voice that opinion loud enough and thus give the false impression that all osteopaths are in favor of this type of manipuation.

2. Livineasi

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Umm....I'm confused. Why are you becoming a dentist?

3. NEdent

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    dude you have no business on this site. you obviously have something against dentistry with your outrageous remarks. i don't know, maybe you're a med student and you're upset about the fact that you chose the wrong profession. hopefully this thread will be deleted by the admins so no one else has to read this biased crap!

4. hersheyslove

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i just love these type of posts when i am bored the heck at work:p
    anybody have popcorn??:D

5. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    :troll:

Go get ready for your next trip because you met your prescription quota

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. klpennin

klpennin 20/22/20
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So, what was the point of that thread? Just to say that dentists aren't seen in the same light as MDs? Why would you post that here? Are you just looking for a reaction out of us or what? Get a life! P.S. How long did it take you to write that peice of crap??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dRdNs

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    who said we all are going into it for the money and/or lifestyle?? stop stereotyping hater!

8. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    [​IMG]

9. ^^ He's not an MD, he's an osteopath. There's a difference according to wiki

10. dRdNs

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Enmarchad: Not that hot

11. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Odd. According to Gallup, Dentists are one of the top 5 most trusted professionals.

12. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Table: Harris Poll percentages of Americans surveyed who trust various professionals to give good advice.*

[​IMG]

13. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just like with medicine there are grey areas in dentistry. The fact that you went to several dentists (which shows you like to shop and then complain about the others) signifies that you are untrusting of the profession as a whole.

Now I do not down play your right as a patient to seek a 2nd opinion. I endorse it. But when you seek a 2nd opinion it is unprofessional for the other dental care providers to speak badly of another. Everyones philosophy is different and the way that they practice is different. That is just the way that it is.

As for the sealant thing. It is purely preventive in nature. It is only recommended to those that have deep pits and fissures in order to help "prevent" the development of carious lesions (cavities) on the occlusal (biting surface of your teeth). Or even children that tend not to brush well. Sure you could use them. We all could. But a good possibility for the dentists and/or hygienist talking to you about them is simple; you would benefit from them do to the aforementioned.

It seems as though your dental IQ is low and in that you have no real concept of a behind the scenes experience in a dental office. For this I am sorry for you.

But I do have to trump you. I have lost count of how many patients have presented in my chair with 5-6 mm pockets, BOP (bleeding on probing), erythematous (red) tissue that is soft (indicating inflammation) only to tell them that they have periodontal disease and I am recommending that SRP's (scaling and root planing) be completed. The number one reaction: it does not hurt so I only want a regular cleaning.

Conditions of your mouth are typically painless. That is why general dentistry is known as preventive dentistry. The general publics view and understanding of dentistry is low and that is why as practitioners we need to educate patients such as yourself.

I am sorry that you have had such a disheartening experience with dentistry. I hope that your next one will be better.

Oh yeah about the whitening. Just say "no thank you and please record in my chart that I am not interested so that you will stop asking me everytime that I come in the office".

14. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hahahahaha

Wait sorry....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That's so hilarious because it's so far from the truth. Good one!

Not to mention the rest of your post.

15. sarah_bellum

sarah_bellum ^ ban pls.
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I completely agree and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

16. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Ha! Isn't that a Homer Simpson quote?

17. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Every profession has its contingent of "unethical" members, which you freely acknowledge amongst your osteopathic colleagues. Whether or not a particular procedure (sealants) is warranted is more a function of the experience of a particular practitioner than of "unethical" behavior. "Pushing" bleaching by some dental professionals is no different than the bombardment of advertisement seen in Star, Parade or TV Guide for procedures such as dermabrasion, botox, liposuction, tummy tucks, mini facelits and breast augmentation, to name a few. Without business sense we would have no physicians, osteopaths or dentists to attend to our needs. Most patients do come in for a "cleaning" but in reality the primary concern for dentists is the comprehensive clinical and radiographic exams. Like it or not some patients do like the spa atmosphere with the "Liberace" touch and the "huge gaudy aquariums" otherwise those dentists would have closed up the circus long ago.

18. swlu2

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hahahahah that was funny..... I am totally confused by this post. Maybe you should go complain to your own actual dentist about why you're getting conflicting diagnosis instead of randomly posting on this forum. I mean, what do you want from us?? Should we say that you're right and then change to another profession?? Or... what?

But apologies about the potential cavities or whatever you might be getting. I'm assuming that your dentist didn't want you to go through those painful drilling procedures when you eventually get your cavities. But, you know, he's just a dentist. What would he know? Maybe you can go on Wikipedia and figure out your teeth issues for yourself.

19. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    actually, that's very untrue from what i've seen.
    and dentistry really can be that great. i'd take three day work weeks over 100 hours + being a physician anyday.

i've seen dentists charge ppl a lot less than they could because they person couldn't pay.

you can make a good living in dentistry, unless you're bad with money.

lol it's funny to me that they only people who get upset about others going into "dentistry" is the people in other health professions. but keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel better :laugh:

20. hopekeepsmegoin

2+ Year Member

ok...so he sounds like some guy who wanted to get into dentistry, but cudnt coz he was not all that great, so he went in for something else..and now bad mouthing dentistry so that he can feed his loser ego- sour gapes!
    I got news for u buddy- every profession in great, its how much you love and respect that makes a difference. If everyone thought like you, we wouldnyt have 'the guy who made fried chicken in a sleezy joint built a KFC, or 'the geeks who worked in their basements all day built a Yahoo'.

I only hope that you some day you come to peace with the fact that you can NEVER be a dentist, or be as happy filling cavities and whitening teeth as we are:D.

21. lemoncurry

lemoncurry tequila mockingbird
    Administrator Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    please do not feed the troll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.