Dentistry replaced by machines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saydental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time I tell my brother about my school work, he tells me that dentistry is going to be replaced by machines/AI anyways. Also, he thinks the costs of dental procedures should not be what they are because "a machine could do that therefore it should be cheap." Then again he is a computer engineer. What do you guys think and what should I say to him?

Members don't see this ad.

AI is not remotely close to replacing a dentist. If anything AI will replace doctors like Radiologists before they replace operational doctors like surgeons and dentists.

And it'll be a long time before a patient actually trusts a robot over a dentist. I doubt anyone going into dentistry today has to worry about this.

Reactions: 6 users
He says AI is increasing exponentially and I will be alive to see it happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does he work for Skynet? Your brother has no idea what he’s talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Something tells me patients don't want a robot operating in their mouths

Yeah as everyone else has mentioned, any field that involves patient care and surgical treatments will be the last thing to be replaced. AI/robots will not replace dentists any time soon. Imagine the time/effort it would take to set up a robot for simple and relatively cheap dental treatments. People who would want to invest in expediting treatments such as this would go to more lucrative fields like general surgery and that is also not likely to happen any time soon...

If AI can do it then why are there still dentists

I don’t think that AI will he replacing humans when it comes to performing dental procedures any time soon, but it could still aid Dentists.

Check this vid out. Something like this could replace the front desk workers, though I bet the AI software would be proprietary and you would have to pay a yearly fee for access.

I had robotic assisted knee surgery. The machine may have done the work, but it was the surgeon that controlled the machine. Trained and skilled humans will always be needed for hands on work.

Reactions: 1 user
He says AI is increasing exponentially and I will be alive to see it happen.
The singularity is alive and operating inside of your brothers mind right now! Be very careful not to bring attention to your new awareness, the end is upon us my friend, godspeed.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You guys better get out while you still can.

He might also be jealous that the computers are going to be engineering themselves.

AI will affect the industries that are susceptible to automation first. That will be the easiest most profitable path for companies going forward.