--dentistry vs dental hygiene--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJDental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all. just looking for some advice...ive always been focused on going towards dentistry, its what ive always wanted, so when I was of age to work I got a job in a dental office so I see what they do everyday (im 20 years old) but at the same time ive wanted to be a hygienist.

the thing i hate is my GPA is suffering slightly, most likely because I work two jobs and go to school Monday thru Saturday. Im not the complainer, at all, but I just need advice.1

Im contemplating to complete my Bio degree then apply for the Dental Hygiene program at the community college near me, but my only issue is I dont want to feel like I let myself down, or that im just "giving up" in school...taking the 'easy route'. I know I would love to be a hygienist becasue Im the dork that likes everything and anything dental. Well to be quite honest ive been so engrossed in SO much school work, i don't have enough time to eat sleep see my family. As MUCH as I would love to be a dentist (an orthodontist) I don't know how im supposed to do this for the next 7-9 yrs of my life??

Any opinions would help, tell it to me like it is! Ive been second guessing myself a lot lately because I keep saying to myself, "if im so willing to just give up on dentistry and 'settle' for hygiene, maybe im not that strong determined person meant to be a dentist" I tend to be hard on myself so don't be afraid to!

thanks so much, stacy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you are only 20 years old, don't be so hard on yourself.
i don't know exactly what your day is like but I would certainly take things slow and do what u believe is best for you. If you feel too pressured then cut hours from your job or drop a course. - it's this extra effort that can bring you down and lead to burn out.
  • You are young
  • Take it slow
  • Stick with your goals
best,
dan

If you decide to do dental hygiene, don't ever think that you took the easier route. Getting into hygiene school is very competitive and it is a well-respected career. Take the pre-reqs for both and see how you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice, dan.

I should quit the 2nd job but I need the money. I did only have 1 job (the dental office) for a year but then I decided since Im going to Dental School I need to have straight teeth, (ive always been self-conscious about my smile) so I went and had braces put on for $5000. Since Im paying for that I needed to go back to the 2nd job. I wish I could cut those hours but you are required to work a minimum of 16 hrs/week so I work there Fri and Sat for 8 hrs then sundays 430-11

my schedule now is

sunday: work 430 am to 11am
monday: work 8a-12p, school 1:30-4:30
tuesday: school 8am-12:30p, work 1-7, volleyball games 8p-10p
wedneday: school 8am-4:30p,
thursday: school 8am -4:30p,
friday work 11:30a-8pm
saturday: school 8-11a, work 1130-8pm

I know it can be done, getting the As and doing well in school; Its just hard when you look at your friends at they are going here going there they have a life and they are getting the same grades as you, it hurts.

Thanks again for the advice

yea I do know that it is competitive and it won't be a joke, the classes are tough and its hard to get into just like dental school. I guess I just don't want to be like "what if".....with dental school. and it doesn't help that I merely mentioned doing Dental Hygiene instead of Dental School to my mother, who knows nothing about either profession, and she totalled gave me the dissappointed attitude. I guess I need to just stand up be a big person and figure out whats best for ME. I care way too much about what other people think of me.

WOW!
I am very impressed with your schedule.
It looks like u r taking work/job/recreation very seriously.
It sounds like you are very determined.
Keep at it, we all have to make some sacrifices
-dan

I should quit the 2nd job but I need the money. I did only have 1 job (the dental office) for a year but then I decided since Im going to Dental School I need to have straight teeth, (ive always been self-conscious about my smile) so I went and had braces put on for $5000. Since Im paying for that I needed to go back to the 2nd job. I wish I could cut those hours but you are required to work a minimum of 16 hrs/week so I work there Fri and Sat for 8 hrs then sundays 430-11

my schedule now is

I know it can be done, getting the As and doing well in school; Its just hard when you look at your friends at they are going here going there they have a life and they are getting the same grades as you, it hurts.

You know better than anyone that DH isn't taking the easy way out. Like the others said, it also is competitive right now. Fact of the matter is DH and becoming a dentist are 2 totally different things as you also know, so it more depends on what you see yourself doing. Both are very important components of the dental field.

After all this, please don't go into dentistry to become an orthodontist. Orthodontist residency spots are EXTREMELY difficult to get. The stats say you should be top 10% in your class and top board scores as well. I am not saying that you should be discouraged and not try for it, but you have to know that it is quite likely you will get out of dental school, try for ortho and not get in. Make sure you would be happy being a general dentist if a specialty just isn't in the cards for you. All of the dental field is insanely competitive right now...but especially oral surgery and orthodontics...not so sure that is going to change anytime soon.

wow NaCl thanks for that! I had no idea how competitive it was to get into the Ortho field.

I'm in a similar situation. I already graduated with my Biology degree though, and this is my second time applying. When I first told my mom that my backup is hygiene, she was pretty disappointed. The thing is, I like dentistry, and I like both careers for different reasons. I have the mindset, "If it's meant to be, it will be." If I don't get in this year, I will hopefully get into hygiene school. If I really want to be a dentist after that, then I will try again.

I'm in a similar situation. I already graduated with my Biology degree though, and this is my second time applying. When I first told my mom that my backup is hygiene, she was pretty disappointed. The thing is, I like dentistry, and I like both careers for different reasons. I have the mindset, "If it's meant to be, it will be." If I don't get in this year, I will hopefully get into hygiene school. If I really want to be a dentist after that, then I will try again.

I can see why you would think of hygiene as your backup, but remember, that it is a lot more difficult to get into a lot of hygiene schools then dental schools. That being said, with dentistry's recent dramatic rise in stats, they might be more even now.

I would have to disagree that it is more difficult to get into dental hygiene school than dental school

Why? Weber State's Hygiene program has a 3.7 sci gpa (entering) and admits based on a points system. That is just one example, but it is much more difficult to get into that program than any dental school.

I would have to disagree that it is more difficult to get into dental hygiene school than dental school

Yeah, I'm sorry but I have to agree here. Dental hygiene is competitive, but at Weber State even, it is a 3 year program and you get an undergraduate degree. The first year is prereqs and then the next 2 is DH. I don't even know how you can compare that to a pre-doctoral level program where you have to have about a 3.6 in all of your undergraduate coursework. What did they need a 3.7 in? High School? DH is undergraduate... you get an Assoc. or BS degree.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would have to disagree with your disagreement. Although it is not true across the board, there are many dental hygiene schools that are very difficult to get into and I don't envy pre-hygiene students. As pre-dentals we have 4 years to make up for any bad grades. Hygiene hopefuls have to get it right from the get-go.

Also, my 3.17 science gpa wouldn't get me into hygiene school, but it looks like I will make it to dental school.

Im not saying it is not hard to get into dental hygiene by any means I know its not easy, however, I do think that more dental school students could get into dental hygiene school if they wanted than dental hygiene students could get into dental school if they tried.

I would have to disagree with your disagreement. Although it is not true across the board, there are many dental hygiene schools that are very difficult to get into and I don't envy pre-hygiene students. As pre-dentals we have 4 years to make up for any bad grades. Hygiene hopefuls have to get it right from the get-go.

Also, my 3.17 science gpa wouldn't get me into hygiene school, but it looks like I will make it to dental school.

Be realistic... I think most of us when at the level of applying to dental school with decent grades would have a better shot at getting into an undergraduate hygiene program. I'm not arguing, but please don't make the mistake of counting your chickens before they hatch. Your statement "but it looks like I will make it to dental school" is presumptuous, though I hope for your sake true. Truth is, there are no guarantees even for people with a 3.4... unless you know someone really important.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I have to agree here. Dental hygiene is competitive, but at Weber State even, it is a 3 year program and you get an undergraduate degree. The first year is prereqs and then the next 2 is DH. I don't even know how you can compare that to a pre-doctoral level program where you have to have about a 3.6 in all of your undergraduate coursework. What did they need a 3.7 in? High School? DH is undergraduate... you get an Assoc. or BS degree.

Actually, DH requires the same pre-reqs minus O-Chem and Physics. Granted, that is less pre-reqs, but they still have to do biology, chemistry, anatomy, and physiology. Most dental students do not have a 3.7 sci in those classes. Now, Weber State is one of the best programs in the country. Now that Dental admissions is getting harder, dental stats are catching up to hygiene, but 5-10 years ago, hygiene was arguably harder to get into. Don't underestimate your hygienist just because they only have an Assoc.

All I am saying is that hygiene really can't be a realistic backup to dental school when their admission stats are almost identical to ours. :D:);)

Actually, DH requires the same pre-reqs minus O-Chem and Physics. Granted, that is less pre-reqs, but they still have to do biology, chemistry, anatomy, and physiology. Most dental students do not have a 3.7 sci in those classes. Now, Weber State is one of the best programs in the country. Now that Dental admissions is getting harder, dental stats are catching up to hygiene, but 5-10 years ago, hygiene was arguably harder to get into. Don't underestimate your hygienist just because they only have an Assoc.

All I am saying is that hygiene really can't be a realistic backup to dental school when their admission stats are almost identical to ours. :D:);)

Obviously didn't read the response you quoted. I'm done in this thread... it is fruitless. Both are competitive, but there is no logical comparison for trying to get into the 2 schools. One is an undergraduate program where you have one year of prereqs...one is a doctoral program where you generally need a full 4 year degree. You cannot accurately analyze the GPA criteria for the program if only 1 compared to 4 years is counted. To many variables = illogical. No offense to you directly.

Obviously didn't read the response you quoted. I'm done in this thread... it is fruitless. Both are competitive, but there is no logical comparison for trying to get into the 2 schools. One is an undergraduate program where you have one year of prereqs...one is a doctoral program where you generally need a full 4 year degree. You cannot accurately analyze the GPA criteria for the program if only 1 compared to 4 years is counted. To many variables = illogical. No offense to you directly.

You can be done, but seeing how most of the pre-reqs are the same....well, you can logically compare the two. ;) No offense taken. :)

who cares which one is more competitive. that is NOT the question at hand.

anyway, if you like DH, then go for it. if you think that you could do what the dentist does when you're at work, or if you could see your self doing it, then don't sell your self short...go for it all, try for DS. yea, it's hard to get in, but you being willing enough to make sacrifices now to get yourself by, and pay for your braces, etc, then it seems if you wanted to try for dentistry, you've already got the hard part down - the desire to do something great for your community. hygeinist are excellent people and most dental offices would not work without them, but then again, without a dentist, they wouldn't have a job.

"in the end it will all work out. if it's not working out, then it's not the end"

oh, and little side note...once you get in to school, THAT is your full time job unless you want another one. the federal government will give you up to $38000 a year for student loans with super low interest that you don't have to pay back till your done with school. sure you wont make 200k right out of school to start paying them back, but you prob wont be making chump change either :D

So if Weber State is the best program in the country compare those stats to the dental school with the highest stats in the country such as Harvard, I find it hard to believe that the students at Weber State dental hygiene school could get into HSDM, while im pretty sure, not positive, that any student at Harvard could get into that hygiene program. THis is just one of many arguments you could make to show that there is no logical reasoning to comparing and undergraduate program to a doctoral program.

Be realistic... I think most of us when at the level of applying to dental school with decent grades would have a better shot at getting into an undergraduate hygiene program. I'm not arguing, but please don't make the mistake of counting your chickens before they hatch. Your statement "but it looks like I will make it to dental school" is presumptuous, though I hope for your sake true. Truth is, there are no guarantees even for people with a 3.4... unless you know someone really important.

You're right, I'm probably not going to make it into dental school. Thanks for putting me straight. I guess my only option is to apply to hygiene school now.

I'm a dental hygienist, graduated from Baylor's BSDH program. It's a great career for many a person, and one can earn an easy 50-70K annually working an average of four days per week. Salaries ranging dependent upon the obvious, usual, and otherwise. It's more about how much of an impact you want to make in your patient collective, and how hard you're willing to work for that goal. Nothing is wrong, or short-sighted with the career/employment. Familial opinions are identical to everyone else's opinions...made from situations, psychologies, and circumstances that can never apply directly/appropriately to your happenstance. Try. Fail. Try. Do what you want, letting the desire guide you...not fear, not family, not self- doubt or self-protection.
Hygiene is a good gig...hard on the wrists, but a good gig. Work your ass off, take the DAT, and apply...living only once comes with the responsibility of gambling...;)

I just graduated from a dental hygiene program in California. Before I elaborate, here's a little background info. I received my BS in Neuroscience at UCR. After a few years of working in research, I decided that I wanted a career change. I looked into dental hygiene and completed the pre-requisites. (Warning: Dental hygiene programs are VERY particular about their pre-reqs. I had to retake ALL of the science pre-reqs because they weren't satisfied with my UC science classes. When I applied, my school received 300 applications for 30 spots.) After a year of taking additional pre-reqs, I was accepted into an accelerated (16 month) dental hygiene program.

I went to a fantastic school and learned so much. One of the most important things I learned was, the limited scope of practice for a dental hygienist would not enable me to provide my patients with the highest level of care. It is a great career, in California, you can even make 100k if you work 5 days a week.

Please don't consider hygiene as a replacement for becoming a dentist because IT ISN'T. Stick with your first choice, which ever it is. (I like what dirtydan311 had to say. Read what he had to say again, it's very poignant)

So if Weber State is the best program in the country compare those stats to the dental school with the highest stats in the country such as Harvard, I find it hard to believe that the students at Weber State dental hygiene school could get into HSDM, while im pretty sure, not positive, that any student at Harvard could get into that hygiene program. THis is just one of many arguments you could make to show that there is no logical reasoning to comparing and undergraduate program to a doctoral program.

You are missing the point. Let me spell it out:

Hygiene is not a backup career to dentistry because if you couldn't get into dental school then chances are you can't get into hygiene.

P.S. Seeing how my wife's hygiene class at Weber State had an incoming science g.p.a. of 3.65 and that is very comparable to Harvard's incoming science g.p.a. Now consider the fact the most of the pre-reqs are exactly the same. So I think most of Weber's students could get into Harvard. Again, the point is not who is smarter, but that if you can't do one, chances are, you can't do the other. Hygiene is an alternative career in dentistry, not a backup one because you couldn't get into dental school.

As a CURRENT DHYG student, I can assure you that age is not an issue. In my class of 22, there are 2-3 people that are over the age of 27, and a few that are over 22. I understand that it is "disappointing" to some parents if you give up Dentistry for DHYG, but the truth is, some people just aren't meant to be doctors, dentists, or architects. I know someone in my OCHEM lab who's applying to dental school in the fall, and he can't do SQUAT with the simple easy labs that have to be completed. Even though he may have the requirements (I don't actually know that), he just don't have the tools to become a dentist. DHYG is pretty competitive (probably not as hard as DMD, at least in my university), but it's also a good career option, and if you have a chance to be in one of the dhyg programs, you should take it. The only "downside" is that the class consists of mostly females, so you might feel out of place if you are a male.

My Girl friend is in Hygiene school and I am in dental school (cute, I know)

I can assure you, getting in to hygiene school is far easier than dental school, if you think otherwise you have been hitting the pipe too hard. This does not mean that I do not respect hygienists. They are a critical part of the dental team and offices would tank without them. So, honestly, let's put the pissing match aside.

Hygiene has many pluses. No overhead, great hours, good pay, ect and being a DMD has its pluses too. At the end of the day, I tend to think it is an ego thing. My girlfriend does not need to pet her ego, she likes the work, and enjoys what she does. I on the other hand have an ego problem (I drive a Jetta, I need all the ego help I can get) I have would felt like I should have done more, tried harder, gone the extra mile if I had not gone to dental school.

Many brilliant people go into hygiene who had no desire to go to dental school, as do people who could not make it into dental school, that's just life.

With a BS you can teach, which should pet the ego a bit, if thats what you need and don't do DS.

Ultimately its about what you can live with, if you look at hygiene and feel like (gasp, gonna get reamed here) its beneath you, go for the DMD. If you think you will be happy doing hygiene and you don't need the ego boost, go for it and never look back.

My two cents,
-C

After reading your message on SDN, I decided to become a member. I'm a dental hygienist who also wanted to go into dentistry as an undergrad student. Like you, I found myself working part-time 20-30 hours per week. of course, my grades were affected. I also prolonged my education, earning my bachelor degree in 4+ years. I chose to go to hygiene school b/c I desperately needed a quick solution to my financial problems. It worked. Now I've been a hygienist for 3 years. Initially and even now, I've felt frustrated performing a repetitive, technical job hour after hour when you know you are capable of doing more. Hygienist are treated like dental assistants and front office personnel. They are just another staff member. You just don't get much respect. The pay is fine. I get paid $425 per day to see 8 patients. I get vacation, holiday, and medical insurance. Yet I feel unfulfilled. I feel like I let myself down. That's why I'm currently applying to dental school. My advice to you would be to pursue your dream of becoming a dentist. Take things slow. If it means, it takes you 2 more years to apply versus 1, be patient. You'll just waste time and money if you become a hygienist first and then become a dentist. This has been my experience and I just wanted to share with you. I can openly admit today that I also chose to become a hygienist b/c it was an easier route. Part of me felt like I wouldn't be able to go through dental school and become a dentist. The hygiene educational program is not difficult. It's a vocational career that earns you an AS degree or a BA degree. Becoming a dentist means you earn a doctoral degree and have a professional career. That's it. There is no way to sugar coat it. i sincerely wish you the best. Believe in yourself and strive for your dreams.

After reading your message on SDN, I decided to become a member. I'm a dental hygienist who also wanted to go into dentistry as an undergrad student. Like you, I found myself working part-time 20-30 hours per week. of course, my grades were affected. I also prolonged my education, earning my bachelor degree in 4+ years. I chose to go to hygiene school b/c I desperately needed a quick solution to my financial problems. It worked. Now I've been a hygienist for 3 years. Initially and even now, I've felt frustrated performing a repetitive, technical job hour after hour when you know you are capable of doing more. Hygienist are treated like dental assistants and front office personnel. They are just another staff member. You just don't get much respect. The pay is fine. I get paid $425 per day to see 8 patients. I get vacation, holiday, and medical insurance. Yet I feel unfulfilled. I feel like I let myself down. That's why I'm currently applying to dental school. My advice to you would be to pursue your dream of becoming a dentist. Take things slow. If it means, it takes you 2 more years to apply versus 1, be patient. You'll just waste time and money if you become a hygienist first and then become a dentist. This has been my experience and I just wanted to share with you. I can openly admit today that I also chose to become a hygienist b/c it was an easier route. Part of me felt like I wouldn't be able to go through dental school and become a dentist. The hygiene educational program is not difficult. It's a vocational career that earns you an AS degree or a BA degree. Becoming a dentist means you earn a doctoral degree and have a professional career. That's it. There is no way to sugar coat it. i sincerely wish you the best. Believe in yourself and strive for your dreams.

Can I get an amen?

OP- It will be harder to get into dental school than hygiene school. You should apply to dental school first and do hygiene if you can't get in. Apply to dental school while your science courses are still fresh in your brain.
As far as your schedule in dental school- you won't have time to work, so you can focus on your studies, which is a good thing. I'm looking forward to that eventually.

This thread has been really kind to hygienists! Is SDN civilized all of the sudden??? :)

You are missing the point. Let me spell it out:

Hygiene is not a backup career to dentistry because if you couldn't get into dental school then chances are you can't get into hygiene.

P.S. Seeing how my wife's hygiene class at Weber State had an incoming science g.p.a. of 3.65 and that is very comparable to Harvard's incoming science g.p.a. Now consider the fact the most of the pre-reqs are exactly the same. So I think most of Weber's students could get into Harvard. Again, the point is not who is smarter, but that if you can't do one, chances are, you can't do the other. Hygiene is an alternative career in dentistry, not a backup one because you couldn't get into dental school.

if you are being serious, which I hope you arent, you are crazy. Also most of the prereqs, minus the fact that they dont have to take probably the two hardest prerequisites, organic chemistry and physics. There are only 57 dental schools in the country, im not trying to be mean or degrading to dental hygienists, but I could go to the local community college and become a dental hygienist. Im just failing to see your rationalizations for some of these comments.

if you are being serious, which I hope you arent, you are crazy. Also most of the prereqs, minus the fact that they dont have to take probably the two hardest prerequisites, organic chemistry and physics. There are only 57 dental schools in the country, im not trying to be mean or degrading to dental hygienists, but I could go to the local community college and become a dental hygienist. Im just failing to see your rationalizations for some of these comments.

Wow. Your argument shows a complete lack of comprehension. Good job. ;)

:confused:
Wow. Your argument shows a complete lack of comprehension. Good job. ;)

I must have missed something. I'm not comprehending this guy's lack of comprehension. Can you 'splain it, toofshucker?

First off, Id like to thank everyone for their advice...espeically bigstix808 for bringing things back to the original question, and thanks Slutskya for your advice too - and all the RDH on here, its great to hear their experience.

Like Slutskya had said - that had run throught my mind, that I would become a hygienist but not feel like I was doing all I could do. I see that now, with the hygienist in the office I work at, Ive pictured doing their job and I know Id love it, but I also have the feeling Id like to do everything for the patient, like straighten their teeth if they need it, relieve pain, give dentures for elder people, especially put braces on little kids and watch their smile completely transform as they age...

Dentistry is about teamwork too, dentists, hygienists, assistants, receptionists; they all work together as a team so I don't give hygienists any less respect than the dentist or the receptionist. In the office I work at everyone is great at their own job and is meant to do what they are doing.

I just have to decide what part of that circle Id like to be apart of

I thought of doing hygiene first then going after dental school if I don't feel fulfilled (But before becoming RDH Ill get my Batchelors at my university).

Or maybe Ill just give dental school my all and see where it takes me.

THANKS EVERYONE YOU'VE HELPED ME A LOT!

Anymore advice is great too ;)

I must have missed something. I'm not comprehending this guy's lack of comprehension. Can you 'splain it, toofshucker?

I took one school with a sci gpa of a 3.6 and another school of a sci gpa of a 3.7 and said that most of the students attending the 3.6 school could take a few extra classes and get into the 3.7 school. Sbosu then took my claim and somehow interpreted that to mean that ALL hygienists could get into Harvard dental school.

The point is, once again, you really can't look at hygiene as a backup to dental school, because if you can't get into dental school, your grades most likely aren't good enough to get into hygiene. You can nit pick everything else you want, but if you look at the gpa of those not admitted into dental school, most would be below the average of hygiene schools (from what I have been researching the past few months for my sister is around a 3.2 sci gpa).

I took one school with a sci gpa of a 3.6 and another school of a sci gpa of a 3.7 and said that most of the students attending the 3.6 school could take a few extra classes and get into the 3.7 school. Sbosu then took my claim and somehow interpreted that to mean that ALL hygienists could get into Harvard dental school.

The point is, once again, you really can't look at hygiene as a backup to dental school, because if you can't get into dental school, your grades most likely aren't good enough to get into hygiene. You can nit pick everything else you want, but if you look at the gpa of those not admitted into dental school, most would be below the average of hygiene schools (from what I have been researching the past few months for my sister is around a 3.2 sci gpa).

Oh- I see. Well, I'm not confused anymore. I just don't agree with you. If you're going to say that if you can't get into dental school then you can't get into hygiene school, wouldn't it be fair to say that if you can get into hygiene school then you can get into dental school? That would be pretty nice- but I'd worry that the dental schools aren't being selective enough.
And the grade thing- the dental school hopefuls have taken 3 or 4 years of university level sciences, where the dental hygiene hopefuls have taken 1 or 2 years of (typically) community college level sciences. The evaluation of the GPAs should not be equal.

And the grade thing- the dental school hopefuls have taken 3 or 4 years of university level sciences, where the dental hygiene hopefuls have taken 1 or 2 years of (typically) community college level sciences. The evaluation of the GPAs should not be equal.

Myth. That is why they have the DAT. UVSC is a community college but carries a lot of clout with dental schools.

i never once took it as you saying all hygienists could get into harvard, you said any person at weber states hygiene program could get into harvard, and i think you are extremely wrong. And like I said before, there are only 57 dental schools in the country, but i could get an associates degree from a community college and become a dental hygienist; it seems like a pretty decent back-up plan in my eyes. Ive just never heard anyone say, "oh well if I dont get into a hygiene program i could always just go to dental school and become a dentist" :D

Your own thoughts are your own reality so im not going to argue with you anymore, in your eyes you are right, so ill agree with you and say you are right (even though you are the only one that seems to think you are correct).

i never once took it as you saying all hygienists could get into harvard, you said any person at weber states hygiene program could get into harvard, and i think you are extremely wrong. And like I said before, there are only 57 dental schools in the country, but i could get an associates degree from a community college and become a dental hygienist; it seems like a pretty decent back-up plan in my eyes. Ive just never heard anyone say, "oh well if I dont get into a hygiene program i could always just go to dental school and become a dentist" :D

Your own thoughts are your own reality so im not going to argue with you anymore, in your eyes you are right, so ill agree with you and say you are right (even though you are the only one that seems to think you are correct).

You guys are great. Out of everyone debating this, I probably have more experience than most on this topic. I have gone through the dental school application once for myself and hygiene twice (once with my wife and now with my sister). That would be more experience than most (not counting those who couldn't get into dental school their first time). So all you pre-dents that know all, continue to do so, and let me know when reality hits you.

hey dont be so quick to judge, i have gone through the hygiene application process before as well; unfortunatly I didnt get in so now im applying to dental school. ;)

hey dont be so quick to judge, i have gone through the hygiene application process before as well; unfortunatly I didnt get in so now im applying to dental school. ;)

Which only goes to prove my point. :)

You guys are great. Out of everyone debating this, I probably have more experience than most on this topic. I have gone through the dental school application once for myself and hygiene twice (once with my wife and now with my sister). That would be more experience than most (not counting those who couldn't get into dental school their first time). So all you pre-dents that know all, continue to do so, and let me know when reality hits you.

Dude- I AM a hygienist. And there was another hygienist commenting on this thread...Slutskya. Guess we're a shoe-in for dental school then. YAY!

Dude- I AM a hygienist. And there was another hygienist commenting on this thread...Slutskya. Guess we're a shoe-in for dental school then. YAY!

Once again, comments like this show a lack of comprehension. All I am saying is that you can't expect hygiene to be a backup to dental school. Come on people. You guys are smarter than this.

You guys have my opinion on this. Agree if you want, disagree if you want, but I am right. ;)

Once again, comments like this show a lack of comprehension. All I am saying is that you can't expect hygiene to be a backup to dental school. Come on people. You guys are smarter than this.

You guys have my opinion on this. Agree if you want, disagree if you want, but I am right. ;)

:bow:

my schedule now is

Hey there. Getting braces is a good start for your career 'coz i personally don't trust dentists/dental hygienist if they don't own that perfect smile.

Anyway, I think you should try enrolling fewer subjects so you don’t get burned out on your 2 jobs. See how you go with your subjects then decide if you are more into dentistry or hygienist ‘coz it will be a total waste of your time and money if you go for that 8-year course and suddenly decided to stop.

As for your friends doing their thing and yet getting similar grades as you have, don’t worry that much ‘coz someday, you’ll see the result of your hardships- and I’m speaking from my own experience. I am well paid compared to my friends way back in college so stop comparing J. Stop thinking about your confusion, and start thinking about how you’ll do well in school and in your jobs. It would help you a lot if you can find jobs related to both -dentistry and hygienist so you can ask yourself where you fit best.

Please ignore this. my computer hang so my reply was displayed twice. sorry, I don't know how to delete this.

Last edited:
Just to put in my 0.02. Hygiene is subjectively easier to get into than dental. Not trying to imply one field is better than the other, but some people on here definitely need to keep their ego in check. I'm from California, so the what I write below might not be representative for all states.

Majority of the programs here are associates, not bachelors. In addition to CCs, you have "less than reputable" places such as Western Career College and University of Phoenix churning out DHs. There is no P.S., no LORs, no standardized test, no interview to get in = no/low admission standards.

It is also illogical to say people who went to Webster are capable of getting into Harvard. There are PLENTY of folks from "top tier" universities all across the country with 3.7+ who can't even get an interview at Harvard. Also Harvard requires tons of research experience which typically only occur at the university level.

Most DHs did not attend a 4 year university. They took 1 year of lower-division sciences at a CC then applied. Nothing wrong with that. To get into dschool, you typically have to finish up your undergrad degree which would entail 2 more years of UPPER-division (ie, harder) science classes.

1. DH: 1 year lower div sciences + 2 years clinic
  2. Dentist: 1 year lower div sciences + 2 years upper div sciences + 2 years science dschool + 2 years clinic
To OP, there is nothing wrong with being a DH. It's a great field and has much less stress.

Last edited:
Just to put in my 0.02. To OP, there is nothing wrong with being a DH. It's a great field and has much less stress.

You guys do know this thread is like 4 years old right?!?! :laugh:

Epic revival!

haha lol, i was going to say that and then decided against it...:laugh: