Dentistry Vs. Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need major help in deciding whether i should pursue dentistry or medicine. I like both fields. But i have always been pre-med since long time. The problem i have is that i dont have any experience in any of these two fields. I lack ECs. I have only worked as a receptionists for a pediatrician for a 6 months period and thats all i have. Also,I am considering dental at this point because it's only for 4 years and they make almost the same amount of money, have less stress than doctors (9-5 job). More like they have a life compared to doctors. Given these reasons, i always wanted to be a pediatrician its something i have always wanted to become. I like studying medicine but then the length of studying plus USMLEs is kind of demotivating from opting for medicine. I really need honest opinions from you all. What do you guys think?
dentistry or medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are having doubts, I would lean towards dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can handle working with teeth only for the rest of your life, consider dentistry. If you want more variety or aren't sure which part of the body you want to work with, consider medicine.

Be careful choosing a profession mainly for the "lifestyle". This is going to be your career for the rest of your life (most likely). So shadow as much as possible and choose the job you could see yourself doing day in and day out for the rest of your life. Not every MD puts in 80 hours a week and has 3 divorces by 50 yo. Just most of them ;)

What year are you in? If you're nearing the end and you're still unsure I would say medicine that way you have more wiggle room and options in case you don't know what you want to do again. Probably less debt from medical school if you bail and more specialties to shop for that lifestyle you want.

If you're like a freshman then maybe you should do a lot of shadowing before you consider making any more investments in either profession.

Actually all on the fence people should apply to medicine I don't need more competition.

ALSO if you wanted to do peds I'm gonna assume you like and want to help kids As a dentist a lot of kids just hate/fear you and some will start screaming the instant you come near them, actually that's some adults too.

Last edited:
I need major help in deciding whether i should pursue dentistry or medicine. I like both fields. But i have always been pre-med since long time. The problem i have is that i dont have any experience in any of these two fields. I lack ECs. I have only worked as a receptionists for a pediatrician for a 6 months period and thats all i have. Also,I am considering dental at this point because it's only for 4 years and they make almost the same amount of money, have less stress than doctors (9-5 job). More like they have a life compared to doctors. Given these reasons, i always wanted to be a pediatrician its something i have always wanted to become. I like studying medicine but then the length of studying plus USMLEs is kind of demotivating from opting for medicine. I really need honest opinions from you all. What do you guys think?
dentistry or medicine?

There are doctor jobs that are 9-5 as well. Medicine is much more varied. Dentistry is a good option too if you like teeth, but honestly unless you like teeth I would choose medicine. There are way more options in medicine than in dentistry.

yes.. stick with medicine. :smuggrin:

Dentistry can be a pretty sweet deal if you play your cards right. Of course, no one can really make this decision but you. You can shadow, research, and work in both fields, but eventually you will have to take a bit of a leap of faith.

dentistry or medicine?

I'd go with your heart. And in your case, you seem to have a deep desire for paediatrics. Definitely shadow both professions if you're still deciding.

A dentist I've shadowed once told me that the 'common dentist myth' was in relation to making a wrong/"less informed" life decision.

Current COA of a dental education for one student:
~280k-/+~70k ISS : ~350k-/+~56k OSS (w/o accrued interest for both.)

If you're interested in both, why not pursue OMFS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfD-g8M4JBU

You can get the best of both worlds as an OMFS.:thumbup:

Isn't OMFS really hard to get into?

I'd go with your heart.

:)

I read about someone who went to an ivy league uni and med school, "gave up writing and even reading the literary works he'd always loved," became a surgeon, and then many years later...

"..out of a growing dissatisfaction with his own success, he was swept by the desire to return again imaginatively to his adolescence, to a time when he hadn't yet made his decision to reject a writing life."
His "love of writing and storytelling... came sweeping forth, and seemed to be transforming his emotional life."

Isn't OMFS really hard to get into?
Yep. And an OMFS's work is quite different from a pediatrician's work.

Last edited:
I'd go with your heart. And in your case, you seem to have a deep desire for paediatrics. Definitely shadow both professions if you're still deciding.

A dentist I've shadowed once told me that the 'common dentist myth' was in relation to making a wrong/"less informed" life decision.

Current COA of a dental education for one student:
~280k-/+~70k ISS : ~350k-/+~56k OSS (w/o accrued interest for both.)

If you're interested in both, why not pursue OMFS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfD-g8M4JBU

You can get the best of both worlds as an OMFS.:thumbup:

Damn I need to work on my spanish

OP, in the end, you'll be proud of reaching your ultimate career goal :)

All that effort will pay off if it's what you really want.

OP, in the end, you'll be proud of reaching your ultimate career goal :)

All that effort will pay off if it's what you really want.

Yeah and if you hate it you're never too old to go back to school. There's was 70 something year old in my ochem class. Someone I know finished undergrad at like mid40something and went 6 more years for another degree and licensing. Non trad students are way more common now days. Continuing education is cool especially when you aren't graded haha

Become a pediatric dentist.

You can be a general dentist that focuses on peds. OR you can do a pediatric dental residency.

Maybe you want to go to NSU.

You can take either the DAT or the MCAT and enter into a 6 yr program where you receive a DDS/DO degree.

Whoaaa!! i did not know about this program!

Become a pediatric dentist.

You can be a general dentist that focuses on peds. OR you can do a pediatric dental residency.

Maybe you want to go to NSU.

You can take either the DAT or the MCAT and enter into a 6 yr program where you receive a DDS/DO degree.

I can honestly say even now I don't understand the premise of this dual degree. It's not like it's a door to a unified OMFS program and in reality I don't imagine anyone doing both occupations as the overhead would be enormous.

Hi, I was hoping someone here may be able to help me with a query I have. I am British but also an American citizen, (married to an American). I would potentially like to study Medicine on mainland Europe but I'm not sure how difficult it is to secure residency on graduating abroad in the States. I have read a few articles about the prejudice against foreign trained MD's consequently have become discouraged. Given the difficulty in attaining a license as an MD I am now opting to study Dentistry. However I am not confident on how difficult it is to gain a license to practise in the States for that profession either. From what I understand a foreign qualified dentist must pass the NBDE 1 and 2 and also do a conversion course which could take up to 1-3 years depending on the college. I am not aware if there is anything else after that and how difficult it is to then secure work so was hoping if someone could kindly offer some information on what the prescribed routes are for each field post graduation to become fully licensed and the potential job market for respective fields. Thank you kindly.