Dentists at smaller, Pacific bases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckyBoy_DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you get deployed to some of the smaller Pacific bases in the Navy, such as Wake, Guam, Marianas, etc? Or are you limited to the larger bases?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BuckyBoy_DDS said:
Can you get deployed to some of the smaller Pacific bases in the Navy, such as Wake, Guam, Marianas, etc? Or are you limited to the larger bases?

Thanks

you prolly ought to email one of the dental detailers with a question like that. from my conversations with capt. connelly (the jr detailer) the answer is yes, but only after a GPR/AEGD. the navy will not just string out a fresh dentist without assistance. not good for the dentist, not good for the navy. it seems to be the GPR guys with trauma and hospital experience that are deployed into more isolated situations. hope this helps...

There is no naval base at Wake, check wikipedia. Are there dentists on Diego Garcia? How long would be your tour if you were assigned to a base like Diego Garcia or even a regular foreign base in Germany or Italy? If you have a 3yr service obligation, could you use 1yr to do a gpr residency and the other 2yrs to do a tour in Italy? Or if you have a 4yr obligation, could you do 1yr each at 4 different bases? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
capt. connelly told me that they send one GPR traing generalist to diego garcia for an unaccompanied one year tour. any overseas tour is at least two years due to the cost of moving personnel in and out of such a location.

read your contract regarding whether or not the PGY-1 counts as a year payback or not. in my case, though my recruiter told me otherwise (and was just doing his job) the PGY-1 does not count as payback. it also does not, however count as another year that i owe. thus, it is a neutral year in terms of payback count. i would imagine that if you do not pursue any additional training with the branch of your choice, the chances of being on a drill and fill line at a processing base for the duration are exponentially increased. that is only an assumption, not substantiated by anything but my fevered imagination.

There is no naval base at Wake, check wikipedia. Are there dentists on Diego Garcia? How long would be your tour if you were assigned to a base like Diego Garcia or even a regular foreign base in Germany or Italy? If you have a 3yr service obligation, could you use 1yr to do a gpr residency and the other 2yrs to do a tour in Italy? Or if you have a 4yr obligation, could you do 1yr each at 4 different bases? Thanks.

At OIS, I was told that there is a dental facility in Diego Garcia but you can't take your family with you. You can go there for a 12 mo. unaccompanied mission. They also said that it was unique because, if you go to Diego Garcia, you could do more schooling after your year there. So, you could do an AEGD, volunteer for Diego Garcia, and possibly then go for a specialty. If you want it, it's probably yours. Here is a list of Navy dental facilities that we were given as "available" overseas. An important note was that there are 5 times as many general dentist billets in Asia as Europe.

Spain: Rota
Portugal:
Hawaii: Pearl Harbor, Kancoche Bay
Italy: Naples, Gaeta, La Maddalena, Sigonella
Diego Garcia:
Guam:
Singapore (small):
Cuba: Guantanamo Bay
Japan: Sasebo, Atsugi, Yokosuka, Okinawa, Iwakuni