dentists don't know what they are doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you don't go to the dentist for a while? I have not gone in ~6 years, I haven't had any problems with my teeth. I saw a 60 minutes thing which was saying how they sent the same person to 6 different dentists and got 6 different diagnosis and 6 different treatment plans and then I was thinking what's the point of going if you aren't in pain if you can't be sure of anything they tell you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Student,

Have you had cleanings in that 6 year period by a dentist? If not, let me just say that it is important. The dentist has special instruments to remove plaque and tartar (calculus) or calcified, hardened plaque which causes gum disease. In addition, you could have had severe enough decay to the pulp of some teeth and may not even be able to tell because the nerve is dead in the tooth. Finally, your dentist will be able to stop decay to the pulp of prone teeth by sealants or another filling agent. Don't let decay get to the point where pain is an indicator to go to the dentist.

A Friend,
Sterichind

P.S. I'm not even in dental school. I guess I filling the role pretty well. Don't you think?

Hello Student,

Have you had cleanings in that 6 year period by a dentist? If not, let me just say that it is important. The dentist has special instruments to remove plaque and tartar (calculus) or calcified, hardened plaque which causes gum disease. In addition, you could have had severe enough decay to the pulp of some teeth and may not even be able to tell because the nerve is dead in the tooth. Finally, your dentist will be able to stop decay to the pulp of prone teeth by sealants or another filling agent. Don't let decay get to the point where pain is an indicator to go to the dentist.

A Friend,
Sterichind

P.S. I'm not even in dental school. I guess I am filling the role pretty well. Don't you think?