dentists have more time w/ patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halitosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, does anyone agree that compared w/ all health professions, dentists spend the most time per patient? let's don't count the surgeons who spend hours working on unconscious ppl.....

Members don't see this ad.

It is probably true. However, I would think most of the time is spent with the dentist placing needles, drills and sharp object in the patient?s mouth, which does not make it heartfelt quality time.
The time I spent with physicians was not enjoyable either. Last time I visited a physician, he told me basically that I was wasting his time and next time to only come in if I am seriously ill.

So, I do not know which one is better. :confused:

As scary as it sounds, I actually make the time(much to the shagrin of my staff sometimes :eek: ) to talk to 98% of all my patients (the other 2% are the ones that frankly I can't stand personality wise, or are so far out there mentally that only a licensed psychiatrist should be talking to them ;) ). When I'm talking with them, its often not the standard small talk (i.e. "can you believe the weather?" "have you been flossing?" or every patient's favorite line from their dentist "this won't hurt a bit!")

I'll talk with them about their family, my family, their profession/business, politics, etc. Whatever the topic, its always eye to eye, where I'm giving them 100% of my attention. I know it's a novel concept, but you'd really be suprised how well(and quickly) this build word of mouth patient rapport. If you don't have a photographic memory to remember little tidbits about the patients family life (i.e. favorite sports, college they're attending, hobbies, kids/grandkids, etc) then either jot a little not in the margin of your treatment notes, put a sticky note in the chart, etc, etc, etc. Also, I'd highly reccommend that even in the future when you're in private practice, take the time yourself (and don't delegate it to your assistants) to give your patients post treatment instructions. You'd be amazed at how the simple wording that I give to my anesthetized patients as they leave the office (delivered with a slight tone of sarcasm "and PLEASE be carefull of your lip/tongue since a lip/tongue sandwich doesn't taste very good, and you REALLY DON'T WANT me putting stitches in your lip/tongue later today!" This gets a smile out of almost every patient each and evry time, and I do this as I'm walking them to my reception desk.

As I've said many times before, treat your patients like you'd want to be treated and you'll do fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJeff said:
As scary as it sounds, I actually make the time(much to the shagrin of my staff sometimes :eek: ) to talk to 98% of all my patients (the other 2% are the ones that frankly I can't stand personality wise, or are so far out there mentally that only a licensed psychiatrist should be talking to them ;) ). When I'm talking with them, its often not the standard small talk (i.e. "can you believe the weather?" "have you been flossing?" or every patient's favorite line from their dentist "this won't hurt a bit!")

I'll talk with them about their family, my family, their profession/business, politics, etc. Whatever the topic, its always eye to eye, where I'm giving them 100% of my attention. I know it's a novel concept, but you'd really be suprised how well(and quickly) this build word of mouth patient rapport. If you don't have a photographic memory to remember little tidbits about the patients family life (i.e. favorite sports, college they're attending, hobbies, kids/grandkids, etc) then either jot a little not in the margin of your treatment notes, put a sticky note in the chart, etc, etc, etc. Also, I'd highly reccommend that even in the future when you're in private practice, take the time yourself (and don't delegate it to your assistants) to give your patients post treatment instructions. You'd be amazed at how the simple wording that I give to my anesthetized patients as they leave the office (delivered with a slight tone of sarcasm "and PLEASE be carefull of your lip/tongue since a lip/tongue sandwich doesn't taste very good, and you REALLY DON'T WANT me putting stitches in your lip/tongue later today!" This gets a smile out of almost every patient each and evry time, and I do this as I'm walking them to my reception desk.

As I've said many times before, treat your patients like you'd want to be treated and you'll do fine!

Hello DrJeff,
thanks for the great postl!! do you think that the conversation b4 a treatment can reduce a patient's anxiety/fear? since your conversations w/ patients are beyond ordinary topics, do they take up a lot of time? can you please tell me, if you don't mind, how many min do you spend per patient and how many min in between patients? what are some things you do b4 and during procedures that can calm patients down? can you memorize almost all of your patients' names? if yes, do most patients seem to take your remembering of their names for granted or do most show genuine delight?

on a totally different topic, have you ever heard of any discussion on why some people "foam" at the corners of the mouth when they talk and how those ppl can train to prevent doing that? is there a medical term describing that condition?

on a totally different topic, have you ever heard of any discussion on why some people "foam" at the corners of the mouth when they talk and how those ppl can train to prevent doing that? is there a medical term describing that condition?

Rabies? ;)

Halitosis said:
Hello DrJeff,
thanks for the great postl!! do you think that the conversation b4 a treatment can reduce a patient's anxiety/fear?

I believe 100% that it helps reduce their anxiety, the key is what you talk to them about, and the manner in which you talk to them. I'll always try to come up with a whitty(?sp) or comical opening line when I walk into the operatory. It really helps break the ice and also allows me to guage the type of mood/personality I'm dealing with. I'll also always ask them (granted its often rhetorical) if they're ready for this "simple and easy" procedure today. This somewhat gives the patient the psychological assurance that they have some control over the visit.

since your conversations w/ patients are beyond ordinary topics, do they take up a lot of time? can you please tell me, if you don't mind, how many min do you spend per patient and how many min in between patients?

Most of the time, by incorporating the conversation into somewhat "dead" time, I.E. while the patient is being seated, while the topical anesthetic is in place, while the anesthesia is setting in, and even while I'm working to some extent, I really may only add an extra minute or to to the treatment time. The only time that I may "run over" is at the end of the procedure when I may "ramble on" for 3 or 4 minutes if the topic of conversation is interesting. (At this point my assistant is often glaring at me and her watch as she's starting to break down the room ;) ) Over all it adds atmost 5 minutes, and often just a minute or two just by simply realizing when I have "talk time"

what are some things you do b4 and during procedures that can calm patients down?

Often I'll just simply explain to them (in non-dental english) what we'll be doing that day, and what they can expect to feel. Very often most of the anxiety is due to the unknown and by telling your patients what(if anything) they can expect to feel that puts many at ease :D

can you memorize almost all of your patients' names? if yes, do most patients seem to take your remembering of their names for granted or do most show genuine delight?

Most I can't remember their names especially if I'm in the grocery store or Blockbuster (I'm working on it, but I really need the "crutch" of my schedule to help with that). I can very often though remember the trivial minutia like what operatory I saw them in, what tooth/teeth I last worked on, or even random things like what color shoes they had on that day in the office, but the names often elude me :confused: The old standard line I use though, especially when I'm out of the office and one of my patients come's up to me and asks how I'm doing is "how's the tooth we last worked on?" or "am I going to be happy when I see you for your next visit??" Out of the office, I can maybe put a name to about 10% of my office's patients (about 2500 total) if they see me and say "Hi!"

I'd tell them to stop washing their mouths out with soap! :D Seriously though it's often a hydration issue(or lack there of)