Dentists, what do you think of this article (dentistry becoming integrated into medicine, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medin2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why Dentistry Is Separate From Medicine

What would happen if dentistry was enveloped by medicine? More coverage of care yet cheaper? The article also seems to support midlevel providers. Is this something to worry about in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And here I am learning how to read ECGs for class wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why Dentistry Is Separate From Medicine

What would happen if dentistry was enveloped by medicine? More coverage of care yet cheaper? The article also seems to support midlevel providers. Is this something to worry about in the future?

I am completely against dentistry merging with medicine. We enjoy the luxury of not being labeled "an essential service" unless you're in pain. I don't want to be forced to see people because dentistry is seen as a right, not a privilege. We have something great going on right now... not being held up high on a pedestal like a physician. There's a saying, when things go right, you're a doctor. When things go wrong, you're "just" a dentist. I enjoy that duality, as in healthcare, not everything is predictable.

I'd be more for midlevel providers on certain procedures... such as dentures, basic fillings, (perio is a big maybe, as an adjunct, since perio is highly complex and variable - phase I if screened by a dentist first). Never for a root canal or implants. I think the most important part is not doing the procedure, but having the knowledgebase to draw on IF/When you have complications, Godforbid. Dentures? you can screw them up, but it's not going to be as bad as if you screw up a root canal, implants, etc...

Reactions: 2 users
Article is a joke.

Dentistry enveloped by medicine wont happen anytime soon that will matter to us. Medicine doesn't want to waste their time learning to deal with teeth, just as dentists don't want to manage diabetes.

Probably shouldn't start calling ourselves Doctors of Dental Medicine then, huh?

@TanMan I couldn't agree with you more. I think the dentists and dental students pushing for a "merge" of the two professions are doing so more out of pride than out of common sense. I guess they think it's more prestigious to be associated with the medical community? The issues facing dentistry today are concerning, but I'd take them over a medical career any day of the week.

And I am also an advocate for well-trained and well-regulated mid-level providers. If I had someone working under me that I could pay like a hygienist, but who could take care of all of my operative or removable, that would free me up to do implants, or a sleep apnea consult, or a 10-unit veneer case. Successful dentists delegate because they know their time is worth more than a $200 filling.

Reactions: 1 users
Article is a joke.

Dentistry enveloped by medicine wont happen anytime soon that will matter to us. Medicine doesn't want to waste their time learning to deal with teeth, just as dentists don't want to manage diabetes.
Although I completely agree, if the two were to merge, I think Dentistry would be a specialty that'd be available to anyone in medicine that would want to pursue it; sort of like Ophthalmology. So, even if most of those in medicine are not interested in teeth, the few that'd entertain the idea would have that option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely.

I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying it'll eventually happen.
I read from med boards that dental organizations (ADA) fight a lot harder than the med ones. Hopefully it can be delayed

This is how I know I'm in a dental forum. Those exact words will get you a death sentence on allo or preallo.

There are certain countries that require both degrees for omfs. Is America one of those? Never checked.

No although more than half the programs now do a dual degree residency.

@TanMan I couldn't agree with you more. I think the dentists and dental students pushing for a "merge" of the two professions are doing so more out of pride than out of common sense. I guess they think it's more prestigious to be associated with the medical community? The issues facing dentistry today are concerning, but I'd take them over a medical career any day of the week.

And I am also an advocate for well-trained and well-regulated mid-level providers. If I had someone working under me that I could pay like a hygienist, but who could take care of all of my operative or removable, that would free me up to do implants, or a sleep apnea consult, or a 10-unit veneer case. Successful dentists delegate because they know their time is worth more than a $200 filling.

But what happens when you run out of implants?

We're in a situation where hygienists, mid-level providers and even denturologists (in my area, Canada) are encroaching on dental procedures. There must come a time where we set our foot down and say, enough is enough. If you want to do x procedure, just ******* (self-censored) go to dental school!

But what happens when you run out of implants?

We're in a situation where hygienists, mid-level providers and even denturologists (in my area, Canada) are encroaching on dental procedures. There must come a time where we set our foot down and say, enough is enough. If you want to do x procedure, just ******* (self-censored) go to dental school!

An entrepreneurial dentist would use them instead of full-priced dentists. Must adapt with the situation on hand.

An entrepreneurial dentist would use them instead of full-priced dentists. Must adapt with the situation on hand.
Obviously, but the only thing that does is empower corporate dentistry much more so than it empowers the solo practitioner.

Adapting to the situation does not mean bending over, right?

I see both sides of the argument, and I agree with TanMan, but I think we should be aware of the possibility of the flood gates opening up. Corporate dentistry would be all over that, their profit margin would significantly increase because of the payroll overhead. Then we have rapid expansion, followed by a decrease in reimbursements. Once the public sees another quick(er) pathway into clinical care with a good quality of life, the supply of applicants will be tremendous, as will the market demand for new schools to train them. The cycle would continue, resulting in massive growth of the field. With that growth comes greater power to lobby for "more." Look at the boom of the PA/NP's, or CRNA's.

This is how I know I'm in a dental forum. Those exact words will get you a death sentence on allo or preallo
Lol, true. I think it depends where. Maybe that would be the case in the Anesthesia forums, but in allo/osteo I would expect a chuckle followed by a "Yeah, we thought so too."

There's an interesting read on this subject that recently came out.

Teeth: The Story of Beauty, Inequality, and the Strugglr for Oral Health in America by Mary Otto.

Amazon product

Nope, but if you can't turn the tides, use it to your advantage.
Just like Kellogg's turned the tide to pass MLPs, I'm sure the ADA could turn the tides if we pressured them hard enough.