Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any non-rotators get an interview there yet? For people who have had a chance to rotate there or who are residents there now, how is the program? What do you like/dislike about it?

Members don't see this ad.

i recieved an interview on 11/7/04....did not rotate at DHMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sobytalz
i recieved an interview on 11/7/04....did not rotate at DHMC.

Boy, those guys in Denver really plan ahead! :)

About half the people in my class at Denver had not rotated there so it is certainly possible to get in with out rotating there but rotating there does guarantee you an interview.

I enjoyed the program when I was there and most but not all residents do. You work hard and the attendings are demanding but the teaching and experience was worth it. The outside activities definately can't be beat.

I rotated out in Denver this year and thought it was great!! These residents bust their humps running the whole ER plus teaching medical students, PA students, interns from other services while they are at it. They know their stuff. Yeah its four years but these guys are prepared to handle anything. I can't image many programs that are any better than this. As for being a rotator, I'm sure it helps, just like it does anywhere, but doesn't seem to be required - several of the residents hadn't rotated there..........

Rotated in Denver last year and absolutley loved it (they didn't love me as much I guess, oh well). Can't imagine that you can get much better training anywhere else. The senior residents there are resposible for the whole DG ED and act like attendings. There are attendings sitting at the nursing desks if needed but it seems they do more teaching than managing the ED. The residents teach the students, interns, paramedics, nursing students, etc.. on a daily basis in mini-lectures so it's great academic training. Plus on off days the residents took me rock climbing, climbing 14ers, and mountain biking. The senior residents there are by far the most prepared I've worked with (med-school, another away rotation, and current residency).

The residents do work hard but I think the education is great.
BTW I know of several people who matched who didn't rotate in Denver. Congrats on the interviews.

Is Denver a 2-4 or a 1-4 program? Can you apply to it after your internship year? It's probably out of my league, but just curious. I've only heard awesome things about the program.

It's a 2-4 but with a required combo medicine/surgery internship that makes it essentially a 1-4. The only reason they still keep the designation 2-4 is because the departments of medicine and surgery split the first year resident's salaries.
When I was there I think they were expanding the class and had accepted 2 or 3 residents into the second year but all had already graduated from other residencies (medicine and I think OBGYN) or had switched from the general surgery program at Univ. of CO.