Deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Military Dentistry thread, but that gets a lot less traffic, so I thought I would try this thread because the experiences seem a little similar. I know that this topic has been raised before, but the answers seem to be really diverse, so I thought I would try to get some current info.

I am considering the Navy HPSP for dental school, but I am a little concerned about the length of deployments. I have no problem being deployed, but on the other hand I don't want to spend three of my four year payback away from my wife and kid. What is a reasonable amount of time that I would probably be deployed? I know that it can vary greatly, but there has gotta be some time frame where more people fall than not. Any help would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in the Military Dentistry thread, but that gets a lot less traffic, so I thought I would try this thread because the experiences seem a little similar. I know that this topic has been raised before, but the answers seem to be really diverse, so I thought I would try to get some current info.

I am considering the Navy HPSP for dental school, but I am a little concerned about the length of deployments. I have no problem being deployed, but on the other hand I don't want to spend three of my four year payback away from my wife and kid. What is a reasonable amount of time that I would probably be deployed? I know that it can vary greatly, but there has gotta be some time frame where more people fall than not. Any help would be most appreciated.

typical navy deployment is still 6-7 months, and you can expect to spend at least 6 of every year away from home, either training or deployed.

There has been talk for some time about making Navy deployments one year to the sand box, but I haven't seen it happen yet.
The key word is yet. Since the system is broken, and as has been noted on several other threads Doc's (and in the Navy, a doc is a doc, either an M-doc or a D-doc, but a Doc none the less), they deployment lengths will have to get longer, or the cycle to deploy shorter.

Since its cheaper to keep people there longer than cycle troops, then that is most likely.

If at this moment, you are saying to yourself, but all the bad is about medical not dental. Don't delude yourself. There are only 2 types of dentists in the Navy, Captains who can't wait to retire, and LT's that can't wait to get out at the end of their time.

Also, if you think that all you will be doing is dental then you need to know, that on smaller platforms, the dental doc is also frequently assigned collateral duties, including Helo control officer (air traffic control for helo ops) I also know of at least one D-Doc that was on the watchbill as OOD underway (he actually drove the ship). May sound cool, to get to do some of these things, but these are in addition to your full workday of seeing dental patients.

Also, if your on a small platform, you will likely be the medical watch when the Medical Doc has liberty in a foreign port.

Take the loans, they are easier to pay back than spending that much time in the sand box.

i want out

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you what deployment lengths/tempo will be like when you get out of dental school. As you can see with the new Army policy of 15 month deployments, it seems that the rules have gone out the window. The military will do anything in its power to complete the mission. Including longer deployments, stop loss, and shorter times at home in between deployments.

It seems that deployments are also somewhat luck of the draw. I've spoken to several current and former active duty physicians. One had been deployed once as a GMO (he is a board certified physician). Another in his field had been deployed three times in the same time period. Another physician I spoke with recently was pulled out of a deployment because he was offered a sponsored fellowship. Other physicians will continue to be deployed and will never get desired fellowships until they get out of the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

I'm probably going to end up doing Air Force because of the 4 month out of every 24 deal (hope that doesn't change in the next four years). My wife has pretty much told me to kiss the Navy goodbye.

Whoever told you Air Force is 4 months out of 24 is a dirty rotten filthy liar. Try 4 months out of 12. I know, it is still WAAAAAY less than the Army dudes suffer so try to restrain the arrows and spears, fellas. Air Force assets get tasked to fill Army slots and I also wouldn't be surprised if the AF decided to go to 6-8 month deployments to save $$$ on airlift.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm probably going to end up doing Air Force because of the 4 month out of every 24 deal (hope that doesn't change in the next four years). My wife has pretty much told me to kiss the Navy goodbye.

Med school is only half of your training. Look into the post graduate side (i.e. internship and residency) before making such a decision.

Med school is only half of your training. Look into the post graduate side (i.e. internship and residency) before making such a decision.

He's dental, his truths are different.