deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I am authorized to place my house and goods at storage during deployment. When I talk to the personal property office, they want me to have an order stating that I am authorized for storage. Unfortunately, my entire brigade is deploying and we didn’t receive individual order. When I contact the admin office at my unit, they are not sure I can do this; I think their intention is I have to take care of the storage myself because I am receiving BAH.
The reason I want to do this is because, my wife wants to move to her parents during my deployment and since we are living off base at a rental house, I just don’t want to leave my stuff and also pay a rent for 7 month. Please let me know if anyone has experience on this matter.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I am unaware of the govt paying for storage while on deployment. You an store your goods at your own expense wherever you want though.

when i deployed (recently) you had the option of BAH or the gov't paying for storage. you can't double dip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your response and the information.

Hello every one,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I am authorized to place my house and goods at storage during deployment. When I talk to the personal property office, they want me to have an order stating that I am authorized for storage. Unfortunately, my entire brigade is deploying and we didn’t receive individual order. When I contact the admin office at my unit, they are not sure I can do this; I think their intention is I have to take care of the storage myself because I am receiving BAH.
The reason I want to do this is because, my wife wants to move to her parents during my deployment and since we are living off base at a rental house, I just don’t want to leave my stuff and also pay a rent for 7 month. Please let me know if anyone has experience on this matter.

Thank you very much.

If you are married and are getting BAH the military will not store your stuff.

I've known unmarried soldiers to get the military to reimburse for storage their car or stuff if they are renting..

when i deployed (recently) you had the option of BAH or the gov't paying for storage. you can't double dip.

It's hard to imagine BAH being less than storage costs. Better to handle the storage yourself and pocket the difference, no? Under what circumstances would one choose storage over BAH?

It's hard to imagine BAH being less than storage costs. Better to handle the storage yourself and pocket the difference, no? Under what circumstances would one choose storage over BAH?

+1

This is indeed what most people do when they deploy. And I wouldn't mention it too loudly at work, I'm not sure that it's all legal. :)

+1

This is indeed what most people do when they deploy. And I wouldn't mention it too loudly at work, I'm not sure that it's all legal. :)

its not legal thats why i didn't mention it...but it was told to me by several different people before i deployed.

+1

There was a big crackdown on exactly this scenario a couple of years ago. We had to provide proof of a current lease or mortgage in order to continue receiving BAH. I also saw several sailors come up for disciplinary boards and the Navy went after all the money they received. Never saw an officer involved, but I don't doubt they would go after officers just as hard if not harder than enlisted.

When I had my pre-deployment briefing last week, someone else asked this question.

Storage of household goods can be paid for but it's done at the squadron's expense. So if you want to store your stuff while you're gone, there's a form you take to your squadron to get approval for the funds. It's not an automatic things; and some people get their requests denied (because the unit doesn't have the funds to cover it).

There was a big crackdown on exactly this scenario a couple of years ago. We had to provide proof of a current lease or mortgage in order to continue receiving BAH. I also saw several sailors come up for disciplinary boards and the Navy went after all the money they received. Never saw an officer involved, but I don't doubt they would go after officers just as hard if not harder than enlisted.

for my deployment no one asked. benefit of being PROFIS i guess. as a matter of fact, they didn't really ask or check anything. my interfacility transfer brief (proving my credentials and such) sat sealed my entire deployment. amazing when you get down to brass tacks how EO training and the like are overlooked.

--your friendly neighborhood wait a second i can't deploy my suicide prevention is red caveman

OP, since you are married, you are entitled to BAH with dependants regardless of whether you are deployed or not. Don't go to personal property to get reimbursed for your storage (as well as continue to get BAH), just go find a place and do it yourself on your own dime.

If you were a single E-whatever they might ask you for a lease, but I can't imagine anyone giving that same business to a married zero.

Or just get a fill-in-the-blanks rent form from Office Depot, have your in-laws fill it out, have your wife pay $1/month rent, and keep the canceled checks. Done and done.