Deposits at Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Halpert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I have a quick question regarding dental school deposits. I am going to have to apply to at least one that I may not end up attending (still waiting to hear from instate school). I was wondering how you all planned on paying for the deposit. My deposit is $1500 and I really don't have that kind of money laying around. Is anyone planning on taking out loans earlier because our Financial Aid is not received until around the time school starts. I may be completely off on this but if anyone can offer any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Call the school. They will work with you.

I am going to borrow from my parents and then pay them back when my loans are dispursed in August. They don't charge interest :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will accept credit cards. The deposit will go toward your tuition, so once loans are received from lender you can repay the credit card company. You will accrue some interest but nothing devastating.

I come from a culture where parents help their children out with things like this... but I understand many people don't.

I come from a culture where parents help their children out with things like this... but I understand many people don't.

What's the point of saying something like that?

Maybe his parents just didn't have any money to help him out.

I find myself in the same situation.

Maybe his parents just didn't have any money to help him out.

I find myself in the same situation.

Well, it seems he/she is implying that one should expect his/her parents to help them out... according to his culture. If parents are willing to help out their kids, that's awesome... but noone should expect other ppl to do things for them. What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing if a person's parents can't help them out. Sometimes it's just not possible. I've been paying my way through undergrad, applications, interview expenses, etc... throughout. I come from a poor family and don't expect any help from my parents. There's always a way to take care of things yourself... you just gotta be smart and plan ahead.

I come from a culture where my parents have the ability to provide their 22 year old son with $1500, but I would rather be a little more independent.

Well, it seems he/she is implying that one should expect his/her parents to help them out... according to his culture. If parents are willing to help out their kids, that's awesome... but noone should expect other ppl to do things for them. What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing if a person's parents can't help them out. Sometimes it's just not possible. I've been paying my way through undergrad, applications, interview expenses, etc... throughout. I come from a poor family and don't expect any help from my parents. There's always a way to take care of things yourself... you just gotta be smart and plan ahead.

Totally agree with you:thumbup:
I had to pay everything, including my mom's rent and car insurance heheheh
Anywho, I was just responding to the other guy who said a perhaps rude comment that in his culture parents help out. When we know it's the same thing for us. Of course our parents would love to help out but they just can't.

Big ups to you Northside, very mature and independent!:thumbup: