• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Jim Halpert

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Southern California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hey Guys. I have a quick question regarding dental school deposits. I am going to have to apply to at least one that I may not end up attending (still waiting to hear from instate school). I was wondering how you all planned on paying for the deposit. My deposit is $1500 and I really don't have that kind of money laying around. Is anyone planning on taking out loans earlier because our Financial Aid is not received until around the time school starts. I may be completely off on this but if anyone can offer any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status
Dental Student
Call the school. They will work with you.

RMPredent2009

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
I am going to borrow from my parents and then pay them back when my loans are dispursed in August. They don't charge interest :)

About the Ads

USCbiograd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Charleston, South Carolina
Status
Dental Student
Most schools will accept credit cards. The deposit will go toward your tuition, so once loans are received from lender you can repay the credit card company. You will accrue some interest but nothing devastating.

nydds25

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
I come from a culture where parents help their children out with things like this... but I understand many people don't.

AlwaysImproving

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
FL
Status
Pre-Dental
Maybe his parents just didn't have any money to help him out.

I find myself in the same situation.

Northside

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Maybe his parents just didn't have any money to help him out.

I find myself in the same situation.
Well, it seems he/she is implying that one should expect his/her parents to help them out... according to his culture. If parents are willing to help out their kids, that's awesome... but noone should expect other ppl to do things for them. What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing if a person's parents can't help them out. Sometimes it's just not possible. I've been paying my way through undergrad, applications, interview expenses, etc... throughout. I come from a poor family and don't expect any help from my parents. There's always a way to take care of things yourself... you just gotta be smart and plan ahead.

Jim Halpert

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Southern California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I come from a culture where my parents have the ability to provide their 22 year old son with $1500, but I would rather be a little more independent.

AlwaysImproving

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
FL
Status
Pre-Dental
Well, it seems he/she is implying that one should expect his/her parents to help them out... according to his culture. If parents are willing to help out their kids, that's awesome... but noone should expect other ppl to do things for them. What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing if a person's parents can't help them out. Sometimes it's just not possible. I've been paying my way through undergrad, applications, interview expenses, etc... throughout. I come from a poor family and don't expect any help from my parents. There's always a way to take care of things yourself... you just gotta be smart and plan ahead.
Totally agree with you:thumbup:
I had to pay everything, including my mom's rent and car insurance heheheh
Anywho, I was just responding to the other guy who said a perhaps rude comment that in his culture parents help out. When we know it's the same thing for us. Of course our parents would love to help out but they just can't.

Big ups to you Northside, very mature and independent!:thumbup:

About the Ads