Depressed about my match. Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfutureir

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello future radiology colleagues. I'm here seeing if anyone has gone through a similar situation and can share some advice. Maybe I'm just here to rant about the whole process. It was always my dream to match back home in LA for residency (yes, I realize it is the most competitive location in the country). My top 3 ranked programs where in LA (total of 10 spots) and I was really hoping the statistic about 85% matching to your top 3 programs would hold true. It did not.

I learned that I had matched to a NY area hospital (not one of the elite Manhattan programs) on Monday, because I had to SOAP into a preliminary spot. This program was ranked around 10th on my list, I was incredibly unimpressed on interview day, scared of the weakness of their IR program, and remember wanting to just walk out of there early on interview day. Conversely, I was very happy with the preliminary program I ended up matching to.

Since I learned of my match, I've been panicking and everyone around me can recognize how unhappy I am. They've tried to console me with the fact that I'll be living in new York for 4 years, which I know I will enjoy. I guess I'm just looking for anyone's advice, to see if you've been through a similar situation and how that turned out.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you, buddy. I can't say I'm in the situation you're in, but I can definitely imagine how you must be feeling. I actually matched at my top programs for prelim and DR (loved both of them) and STILL I feel depressed - I can't really explain why and it makes no sense, but I do. Had I matched elsewhere, perhaps I would have felt worse, but then again, I'm feeling very blue for some odd reason.

Look, if you want to end up in California, where there's a will there's a way. You'll end up there. Yes, it'll just take 5 years, but then again you have the rest of your life after that.

Don't worry about how everyone else matched or what they think of your match. Focus on being the best radiologist you can be during residency at your program. About not having liked your program so much on interview day, just keep in mind that our perceptions often change day to day. It may end up being that a month or so into the program you'll end up loving the people or some other aspect of it.

You'll totally get what you need and what you see having for yourself. You'll be ok! New York will be such an adventure! Think of the awesome aura you'll adopt and how cool people will think of you when you say that you work in the NYC. I think you're pretty cool.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hello future radiology colleagues. I'm here seeing if anyone has gone through a similar situation and can share some advice. Maybe I'm just here to rant about the whole process. It was always my dream to match back home in LA for residency (yes, I realize it is the most competitive location in the country). My top 3 ranked programs where in LA (total of 10 spots) and I was really hoping the statistic about 85% matching to your top 3 programs would hold true. It did not.

I learned that I had matched to a NY area hospital (not one of the elite Manhattan programs) on Monday, because I had to SOAP into a preliminary spot. This program was ranked around 10th on my list, I was incredibly unimpressed on interview day, scared of the weakness of their IR program, and remember wanting to just walk out of there early on interview day. Conversely, I was very happy with the preliminary program I ended up matching to.

Since I learned of my match, I've been panicking and everyone around me can recognize how unhappy I am. They've tried to console me with the fact that I'll be living in new York for 4 years, which I know I will enjoy. I guess I'm just looking for anyone's advice, to see if you've been through a similar situation and how that turned out.

Thank you
Honestly, I feel bad for you, not for the radiology residency, but that fact your gonna live in New York. Trust me, New York is bad. So many people, but yet the loneliest place in the world. You'll understand exactly what I mean in a year. Also, its crazy expensive and cold.

Honestly, I feel bad for you, not for the radiology residency, but that fact your gonna live in New York. Trust me, New York is bad. So many people, but yet the loneliest place in the world. You'll understand exactly what I mean in a year. Also, its crazy expensive and cold.

It's only cold in the winter. And you only need a few good friends. I love NYC.

It's only cold in the winter. And you only need a few good friends. I love NYC.
Im from NJ. I use to go to Manhattan every weekend. NY is overrated. If you don't have money, you really won't have much fun. Or more fun than anywhere else. Some people like yourself enjoy New York but I'm not surprised since there are always exceptions to the rule.

Solid advice here.

OP: I'm bummed out.

Response 1: "yea I know what you mean. I matched where I wanted and oddly feel bummed about it. That sucks for you tho" (to be fair, latter half of that response is good advice. Just found beginning hilarious)

Response 2: "yes that sucks. Not because you matched at your #10, but because the one silver lining in location is actually a nightmare place to live"

Response 4: "yea, New York is overrated"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
You could apply again during your PGY1 year, possibly transfer if you don't like your program? Im not familiar with how difficult that would be though. Maybe someone else could provide input for that regard.

I mean...most people say that you shouldn't rank a problem if you can't see yourself living there/going there.
I say deal with your choice, make the best of it, and move where you want when you're done.

Solid advice here.

OP: I'm bummed out.

Response 1: "yea I know what you mean. I matched where I wanted and oddly feel bummed about it. That sucks for you tho" (to be fair, latter half of that response is good advice. Just found beginning hilarious)

Response 2: "yes that sucks. Not because you matched at your #10, but because the one silver lining in location is actually a nightmare place to live"

Response 4: "yea, New York is overrated"
Bud I live in NYC. People come from all over the world to attend undergrad just because the schools are in NYC. It will take sometime adjusting, but in the end you will love it here. Remember there's no place like NYC....

My honest answer:

That's life. You don't get what you want. It was not probably your first time and definitely won't be your last time.

Suck it up and move on. Find a fellowship in California which will be hard if you want to do IR.

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes you feel any better, I matched at my last choice of prelim and a radiology program in the second half of my 20-program radiology list. I was in shock. I had wanted to go to one of the NYC elites where I interviewed. Any of my top 8 programs would have been "elite". When I saw my results, I fled the medical school and cried. I initially saw it as failure and banishment. After I let my initial shock wear off, I have begun to come to terms with it. I am going to a solid program that will have opportunity for me to grow as a person and as a radiologist. Our expectations are not always met, but sometimes we find something even better. Life throws curveballs and everything happens for a reason. Let it be an opportunity to grow and accomplish your dreams and so much more.

We matched and we are going to be radiologists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well those 3 LA programs were probably community programs (maybe Cedars, Harbor, Kaiser LA?). Looking at their fellowship matches you will notice that for IR they (mostly) go out of state for fellowship. Good places (UVA, Cornell, maybe Mt Sinai) but still out of state. As Shark alluded to most IR matches in the state are from those programs own residents.

Also the whole 85% match in the top 3 is a meaningless statistic. Think about all the people who go to state schools in places like Mississippi, Kentucky, WVU that want to stay in their less desirable locations. They will probably match top 3. Also all the people that prioritize location and want noncompetitive specialties like FM, Peds, Psych will also probably get top 3. When you tease those groups out I imagine the 85% number would drop significantly. You are not alone.

You underestimate the misery and embarrassment of not matching. I didn't match, and that week ended up being the lowest point of my life. Imagine looking forward to that single day for 4 years, watching your predecessors go up on stage to read where they have matched. Then you waste money, time and energy to go to a bunch of interviews (which was a very positive experience). Then on Monday of match you receiving that email saying the impersonal "We are sorry. You did not match to any location." After all of that trouble of interviewing, you go through the SOAP not knowing what your future will be. After a 5 minute phone interview they offer you a spot... anticlimatic for the week.

You then realize that you will never experience that elation of matching and then finding out on Friday where you are going. Then you watch your colleagues jump for joy as they find out where they are going. Do not wish this experience to my worst enemy.

I am sorry that you did not match to where you want. But at least you matched. The match agreement is 45 days. After that you can find open spots to your liking and transfer if you truly hate it there. Trust me, open spots happen more often than you think, especially lately.

By the way, NYC is a great place. I did my intern year there and I would not trade that year long experience for the world. Realize that NOT many people get to live in nyc for an extended time. Plus the salary and benefits are FAR SUPERIOR (Yes, even taking into account the taxes and living expenses) to most southern programs. My program was in the Bronx and I lived in Manhattan.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems rads was more competitive this year? Why the sudden bump?

It seems rads was more competitive this year? Why the sudden bump?

About 150-200 more applicants than last year, fewer positions than last year, and programs may have overcompensated for last year's all time low by interviewing more applicants than usual.

I, too, matched somewhere in the middle of my ~20 program rank list. I have to admit, that caught me completely off-guard and I had to fake my joy for the first few minutes so I wouldn't look out of place considering everyone else around me was jumping for joy.

I am SO glad no one was recording me. It's been almost a week since Match Day and looking at my result now, I'm glad it's a program I liked on the interview trail. And put into perspective, I'm glad I matched somewhere because I have friends who had to SOAP into prelim surgery because they didn't match ortho or whatever

The Air Force told me they didn't need me as a radiologist the year I applied. Wanted 1 of 6 spots they allocated for civilian training in DR that year. The program I wanted to list #1 ended up going unfilled. How's that for a not matching story? Not trying to one-up you or anything, since I can certainly relate with the feelings of desolation. I'm loving what I do now, and know I'll get back to real life eventually (applying again this year to start in '18, seems Radiology is way more competitive now and I missed the boat on when programs were going unfilled left and right, but at least I have a more compelling story now.) Life throws you curveballs, you don't get you want all the time but you become better because of it.

P.S.: did my intern year in Manhattan. It was the best year of my life, and a place I'd be ecstatic to return to one day.

Last edited:
Take whatever we tell you with a grain of salt. Make the most of this experience, buddy. Life REALLY is short... just think of the patients you've treated during med school to put things into perspective. Enjoy NYC - the night life, the food, the culture, the NOT having to lease a car and pay insurance for it; I pay $400 to lease a 2015 Toyota. That's $400 I could be using on opera, MoMA, awesome culinary experiences, fencing classes, and Yankees tickets!

Living life doesn't happen after residency, you know... and you'll be in a pretty great place. There will be people that'll tell you otherwise, but there would be people complaining even in a perfect paradise. :-D There'll always be someone that tells you "take it from me..." followed by everything negative... -_-

Take whatever we tell you with a grain of salt. Make the most of this experience, buddy. Life REALLY is short... just think of the patients you've treated during med school to put things into perspective. Enjoy NYC - the night life, the food, the culture, the NOT having to lease a car and pay insurance for it; I pay $400 to lease a 2015 Toyota. That's $400 I could be using on opera, MoMA, awesome culinary experiences, fencing classes, and Yankees tickets!

Hahahaha. How much do you think residents in NYC get paid? OP is going to be cooking his dinner while sitting on the toilet if he has a 1 br apartment. He's also not going to have enough money to do everything you're throwing out there.

Hahahaha. How much do you think residents in NYC get paid? OP is going to be cooking his dinner while sitting on the toilet if he has a 1 br apartment. He's also not going to have enough money to do everything you're throwing out there.

Graduated in 2012 from a manhattan program, made about 75K as a PGY-5, subsidized hospital housing was about $1500 for a studio across the street from the hospital, had a great view of the empire state building. Prior year my co-resident made about 100K with moonlighting (eg. studying while babysitting the scanner, unfortunately this opportunity was gone my last year)...honestly I never felt short on cash. Was able to make 24 consecutive payments (around $850/month to SallieMae and drop my student loan interest by 1%). Was also able to keep my beat up car on the streets next to the hospital for weeks on end given the MD plates (not an easy feat given NYC parking), giving me easy access to visit family in NJ. Had a blast living the single life, grew very tight with coresidents, lots of partying/going out, online dating was also a great way of socializing (though def competitive and somewhat jaded). NYC is expensive but once you live there you learn how to maximize your dollar, just think how many students/aspiring artists etc manage to exist in the city. There are cheaper very hip areas in Brooklyn/Hoboken/Jersey city as well. Agree that NYC can seem lonely but you will hopefully develop a strong social support system with your coresidents. If not venture out and meet other solid people, millions out there for you no matter what your background is. NYC is an unique place to live, particularly as a young person, try to take full advantage. I'm currently in Cali. It will still be here once you're ready to come back.

Despite the higher cost of living, the higher salary and MUCH better benefits (e.g. $15 a DAY for food vs $350 a year lol) compared to my southern radiology program far outweighed it. I felt like I had more money. Plus I didn't have to have a car, which was one less cost.

car point is totally moot. you spend the difference easily in housing alone, let alone on other increased CoL factors.

a 1500 dollar apartment in an average city is a palace compared to your 200 sq foot room (lol studio) in NYC

hell a 1000 dollar apartment is pretty solid most places. and not everyone is paying 400/mo for a car

Despite the higher cost of living, the higher salary and MUCH better benefits (e.g. $15 a DAY for food vs $350 a year lol) compared to my southern radiology program far outweighed it. I felt like I had more money. Plus I didn't have to have a car, which was one less cost.
Metro passes aren't free

I payed $1250 a month for a 12x20ft bedroom in a modern (not pre war) apartment complex in the Upper East Side (85th and 3rd) from someone who was subletting the bedroom. There are ways to live in nyc without having to get a $1700+ studio. It was a pain but I was fortunate to find it.

I wanted to match in NYC, mainly because of friends and family....but that NYC life can be rough man, especially for out of towners. It's a different animal. I was so happy to get out of there for medical school.

That being said, it's not the worst place to be for 4+ years. The city gets really old fast, but it's better than living in Oklahoma. :/