Depressed and taking the 1/15 MCAT with intend to void.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunargravity

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been delaying taking the MCAT since graduation when I was originally supposed to take in in September 2019, but wasn't scoring where I needed so i postponed to 2020. After having my exams cancelled a few times and pushing dates back I am now taking this exam Friday, but I am nowhere near ready and extremely depressed as of late. My home life has gotten a bit rougher from the pandemic and I've just been in a rut since graduation while taking post-bacc classes that has now reached a terrible point that its hard for me to even start my day and overwhelming to do multiple tasks. I've just really let myself go as well. I got back in touch with my therapist and will see my primary care doctor to try and get back on track.

The thing is my family has been expecting me to take this exam for over a year now and I feel like I'm letting them down. They also don't really understand why I'm taking gap years to improve my gpa and sgpa instead of getting a masters like an MBA, which they keep annoying me with. I just feel like such a disappointment to my family, since they think that I'll knock it out of the park, but I'm struggling severely with FLs in the 497-499 range. I wanna say I messed up with content review as its been so long since i finished that while taking classes and my schedule has gone to crap over the winter break from feeling so crappy and defeated. Maybe I'm burnt out idk?

Its too late for me to reschedule or cancel but I will still take this exam and void it and reschedule to April as I want to apply by May-June this upcoming cycle. I just feel alone and can't help but be hard on myself for waiting this long to take it, but I know I must not score this exam due to my lower gpa. I just know my family will be upset with me for doing so.

Sorry for the large text I just need to get this off my chest :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Are you going into medicine because of your own motivation or are you feeling pushed into it by your family? You have to sincerely answer this for yourself before you make ANY more decisions about your path moving forward. If you’re feeling like you’re in a low point in life, you might not be thinking clearly either so be careful about letting your emotions overshadow your inner desires. I agree that you sound burnt out. I’m not a therapist so my advice isn’t worth the cost of the stamp, but I think you need to take a few months off, get a job, forget about the MCAT for a bit (don’t even think about med school or MCATs), exercise, go on some dates, and then see how you feel.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been delaying taking the MCAT since graduation when I was originally supposed to take in in September 2019, but wasn't scoring where I needed so i postponed to 2020. After having my exams cancelled a few times and pushing dates back I am now taking this exam Friday, but I am nowhere near ready and extremely depressed as of late. My home life has gotten a bit rougher from the pandemic and I've just been in a rut since graduation while taking post-bacc classes that has now reached a terrible point that its hard for me to even start my day and overwhelming to do multiple tasks. I've just really let myself go as well. I got back in touch with my therapist and will see my primary care doctor to try and get back on track.

The thing is my family has been expecting me to take this exam for over a year now and I feel like I'm letting them down. They also don't really understand why I'm taking gap years to improve my gpa and sgpa instead of getting a masters like an MBA, which they keep annoying me with. I just feel like such a disappointment to my family, since they think that I'll knock it out of the park, but I'm struggling severely with FLs in the 497-499 range. I wanna say I messed up with content review as its been so long since i finished that while taking classes and my schedule has gone to crap over the winter break from feeling so crappy and defeated. Maybe I'm burnt out idk?

Its too late for me to reschedule or cancel but I will still take this exam and void it and reschedule to April as I want to apply by May-June this upcoming cycle. I just feel alone and can't help but be hard on myself for waiting this long to take it, but I know I must not score this exam due to my lower gpa. I just know my family will be upset with me for doing so.

Sorry for the large text I just need to get this off my chest :(
very sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that you were taking steps to get your mental health back in order.

I cannot recommend taking the exam with the intent of voiding. The temptation to not void is too great.

The MCAT is a high-stakes, career deciding exam. You cannot approach this when you are not at your best. Do not fold for the sunk cost fallacy. The money is lost, forget about it.

As to your family, the upfront with them about your mental health, and tell them that you will approach medical school on your own timeline not theirs. You're the one who wants to go to medical school not them. Do not live your life the laboring under the delusion that something you would do will make somebody unhappy or that you can't please them. They'll just only set yourself up for more disappointments in the future. You have to live life for you.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
^ this. I had a student take the exam who intended to void but decided against it because it went better than they expected. the end result was bad. Cancel the test or don’t sit for it. It’s not a valuable use of time and won’t help you prepare for a future attempt. Without knowing questions you got right or wrong there really isn’t any value to the time investment.

I cannot recommend taking the exam until well after your mental health / living situation has stabilized. That may not happen until it is too late for this upcoming cycle. It’s much better to sit for the exam when you are in the best possible position to do well than to attempt to meet an arbitrary timeline. I would take some time off, get things stabilized, do some fun projects and other things that remind you why you want to be a doctor. This will help when you restart preparing for the mcat.

I also highly recommend working with a tutor to provide guidance. I did and it was the best investment I made. You can find plenty who are affordable in the $30-50 an hour range. It sounds like you need guidance for how to prepare and what things need to be adjusted along the way. I worked with a tutor for about 8 hours over the course of three months and it made a huge difference for me: both in terms of strategy and just feeling confident I was on the right track.

GL to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going into medicine because of your own motivation or are you feeling pushed into it by your family? You have to sincerely answer this for yourself before you make ANY more decisions about your path moving forward. If you’re feeling like you’re in a low point in life, you might not be thinking clearly either so be careful about letting your emotions overshadow your inner desires. I agree that you sound burnt out. I’m not a therapist so my advice isn’t worth the cost of the stamp, but I think you need to take a few months off, get a job, forget about the MCAT for a bit (don’t even think about med school or MCATs), exercise, go on some dates, and then see how you feel.
Hey I appreciate the advice and I will clarify that medicine is something I'm pursuing for myself, not my parents. Hell, they don't really care what I do as long as I enjoy what I am doing and can be financially stable. I chose this for myself, but I think my family is just concerned that I'll become a career student or that I won't be working in a career until my thirties. My dad stresses me out a bit with this as they mention I could have done so much in this time like a masters( and mentions other people my age who got their masters) opposed to pursuing post-bacc courses, which they don't know the process and have trouble wrapping their heads on why I'm taking extra classes with no degree at the end. I try to tell them that most of the people I graduated high school with are still at community college, haven't even graduated, or just graduated over a year later than I did to show them everyone has different paths. I don't expect them to understand it, but I do wish they would be a bit more supportive.

For now I'm just taking things one day at a time.

Medical school won't go anywhere, as you take your time healing your mind and body. I've seen people as old as 40 getting their MD and starting their residencies. I'm not saying that's going to be you, but seriously stop listening to what others say about what to do with your life.

Have an open mind, and read my signature.

very sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that you were taking steps to get your mental health back in order.

I cannot recommend taking the exam with the intent of voiding. The temptation to not void is too great.

The MCAT is a high-stakes, career deciding exam. You cannot approach this when you are not at your best. Do not fold for the sunk cost fallacy. The money is lost, forget about it.

As to your family, the upfront with them about your mental health, and tell them that you will approach medical school on your own timeline not theirs. You're the one who wants to go to medical school not them. Do not live your life the laboring under the delusion that something you would do will make somebody unhappy or that you can't please them. They'll just only set yourself up for more disappointments in the future. You have to live life for you.
I have definitely been considering doing a no show on exam day (probably will just tell my family it got cancelled and will reschedule when more dates open). I think you're right I need to have a talk with my family and really set things straight with how this all works. I'm 23 and I think they are just scared I'll be a career student and keep trying for med school until I'm 40, not that back up plans are off the table and I can see myself pursuing other fields if medicine doesn't work out. My plan at the moment is to apply this cycle to all Texas schools (Texas resident), DO schools, and a few SMP programs as well. First I need to knock out this MCAT, but as of right now I'm just not where I need to be and my health has just been on the decline this past year.

Hey I appreciate the advice and I will clarify that medicine is something I'm pursuing for myself, not my parents. Hell, they don't really care what I do as long as I enjoy what I am doing and can be financially stable. I chose this for myself, but I think my family is just concerned that I'll become a career student or that I won't be working in a career until my thirties. My dad stresses me out a bit with this as they mention I could have done so much in this time like a masters( and mentions other people my age who got their masters) opposed to pursuing post-bacc courses, which they don't know the process and have trouble wrapping their heads on why I'm taking extra classes with no degree at the end. I try to tell them that most of the people I graduated high school with are still at community college, haven't even graduated, or just graduated over a year later than I did to show them everyone has different paths. I don't expect them to understand it, but I do wish they would be a bit more supportive.

For now I'm just taking things one day at a time.
Good to know you’re in it for you! That’s #1. I can tell you that it only gets worse though. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t do it, I’m saying you should take breather, get your emotions and focus back in order then tackle the MCAT with a fresh start. Are your parents paying for school and your cost of living? If so, as a parent myself, I can understand why they are turning the screws on you. It sucks to be the recipient of that pressure, but they don’t understand this path and if you’re not moving forward clearly for them to see, they’re going to be frustrated in their investment.
Medical school won't go anywhere, as you take your time healing your mind and body. I've seen people as old as 40 getting their MD and starting their residencies. I'm not saying that's going to be you, but seriously stop listening to what others say about what to do with your life.

Have an open mind, and read my signature.
I’m one of those old people in medical school now. In some ways, waiting was key for me. In other ways, my shortened career with an increased debt load is frightening. If I could go back and do it at a younger age, I don’t think I would have been successful. I needed some life experience to get me ready. The OP may be in the same boat.

^ this. I had a student take the exam who intended to void but decided against it because it went better than they expected. the end result was bad. Cancel the test or don’t sit for it. It’s not a valuable use of time and won’t help you prepare for a future attempt. Without knowing questions you got right or wrong there really isn’t any value to the time investment.

I cannot recommend taking the exam until well after your mental health / living situation has stabilized. That may not happen until it is too late for this upcoming cycle. It’s much better to sit for the exam when you are in the best possible position to do well than to attempt to meet an arbitrary timeline. I would take some time off, get things stabilized, do some fun projects and other things that remind you why you want to be a doctor. This will help when you restart preparing for the mcat.

I also highly recommend working with a tutor to provide guidance. I did and it was the best investment I made. You can find plenty who are affordable in the $30-50 an hour range. It sounds like you need guidance for how to prepare and what things need to be adjusted along the way. I worked with a tutor for about 8 hours over the course of three months and it made a huge difference for me: both in terms of strategy and just feeling confident I was on the right track.

GL to you.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't really consider a tutor, but now I might look if there are some in my area.
Good to know you’re in it for you! That’s #1. I can tell you that it only gets worse though. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t do it, I’m saying you should take breather, get your emotions and focus back in order then tackle the MCAT with a fresh start. Are your parents paying for school and your cost of living? If so, as a parent myself, I can understand why they are turning the screws on you. It sucks to be the recipient of that pressure, but they don’t understand this path and if you’re not moving forward clearly for them to see, they’re going to be frustrated in their investment.

I’m one of those old people in medical school now. In some ways, waiting was key for me. In other ways, my shortened career with an increased debt load is frightening. If I could go back and do it at a younger age, I don’t think I would have been successful. I needed some life experience to get me ready. The OP may be in the same boat.
I do appreciate my parents paying for as much of my undergrad as they could and as a result a lower than average amount of student loans than most others at my school. For my DIY post-bacc, I have taken the loans to cover my tuition and paid out of pocket myself for these extra courses, as well as my MCAT exam date. I am still living under their roof though, and maybe they feel as though I haven't been keeping up with my end of the bargain and failing to deliver.

Reactions: 1 user
I have definitely been considering doing a no show on exam day (probably will just tell my family it got cancelled and will reschedule when more dates open). I think you're right I need to have a talk with my family and really set things straight with how this all works. I'm 23 and I think they are just scared I'll be a career student and keep trying for med school until I'm 40, not that back up plans are off the table and I can see myself pursuing other fields if medicine doesn't work out. My plan at the moment is to apply this cycle to all Texas schools (Texas resident), DO schools, and a few SMP programs as well. First I need to knock out this MCAT, but as of right now I'm just not where I need to be and my health has just been on the decline this past year.
If you're 23, you are old enough to vote, smoke, drink, drive, work and pay taxes, run for public office and fight and die for your country. If can't look your family in the eye and tell them the truth, you are simply not mature enough to go to medical school.

All you need to say is:
"I'm not ready for medical school now. I will NOT stick around the house and do nothing, I will work at getting my health in order and build the best possible application. I will apply on my schedule and you do not need to worry about me."

I'm sorry, friend. :( Hang in there. :(

FWIW, I was registered for a March MCAT. I got COVID and it screwed up my schedule, so I canceled. They gave me a full refund. They said that they were doing full refunds for January-March dates because of the pandemic.

I just wanted to add that so you know.

Reactions: 1 users
Think it’ll be beneficial for you to take the exam and void it so you can see how far you are from where you need to be. No one will care about the story behind your score so best to take the exam when you are ready to do so (scoring near your target score). the good news is that you have several months to prepare. The bad news is that time flies before you know it.

below is a link to a Reddit post where I describe how I made sure I got a good score on the exam despite being years out of college.

I know how difficult it can be to ignore family pressures, but learning how to do that now is an important skill. No family will be helping you when you are in UME and beyond

If you're 23, you are old enough to vote, smoke, drink, drive, work and pay taxes, run for public office and fight and die for your country. If can't look your family in the eye and tell them the truth, you are simply not mature enough to go to medical school.

All you need to say is:
"I'm not ready for medical school now. I will NOT stick around the house and do nothing, I will work at getting my health in order and build the best possible application. I will apply on my schedule and you do not need to worry about me."
You're right. I had some anxiety setting in and was fearing family disappointment, but I need to be honest with them so I can get the help I need and get back on top of things. Thank you Goro for the advice, I really wasn't expecting you to reply to my post. I'm fairly new to this site and just geting around to using it.

• Care
Think it’ll be beneficial for you to take the exam and void it so you can see how far you are from where you need to be. No one will care about the story behind your score so best to take the exam when you are ready to do so (scoring near your target score). the good news is that you have several months to prepare. The bad news is that time flies before you know it.

below is a link to a Reddit post where I describe how I made sure I got a good score on the exam despite being years out of college.

I know how difficult it can be to ignore family pressures, but learning how to do that now is an important skill. No family will be helping you when you are in UME and beyond

I am confused, so please explain exactly how this is supposed to work -- if he voids the exam, how is he going to see how far he is from where he needs to be?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, friend. :( Hang in there. :(

FWIW, I was registered for a March MCAT. I got COVID and it screwed up my schedule, so I canceled. They gave me a full refund. They said that they were doing full refunds for January-March dates because of the pandemic.

I just wanted to add that so you know.
Yes, they are doing full refunds due to COVID, right up to 8 days before the exam. Not at the very last minute!! I'm not sure what's magical about 8 days, but that's the way it's set up. After the Bronze deadline (8 days out, even now), your only options are no-show, void, or take the exam, No refunds, other than for limited, COVID related emergencies that have to be documented (like testing positive).

I am confused, so please explain exactly how this is supposed to work -- if he voids the exam, how is he going to see how far he is from where he needs to be?
lol you don't need a test scored to know when you didn't perform well on it....
just the shock factor alone of sitting for the exam, realizing your timing isn't where it needs to be or you have content gaps or struggle deciphering these complex passages can help folks realize they need to revamp their approach if they want to get a good score. i'm saying this all in case he's past the refund date. if he can still get the money by not sitting then sure save the $350

lol you don't need a test scored to know when you didn't perform well on it....
just the shock factor alone of sitting for the exam, realizing your timing isn't where it needs to be or you have content gaps or struggle deciphering these complex passages can help folks realize they need to revamp their approach if they want to get a good score. i'm saying this all in case he's past the refund date. if he can still get the money by not sitting then sure save the $350
Really? I know plenty of people who were convinced they bombed it who ended up doing fine (some of them even reported as much on SDN and reddit), while others thought they did well and were shocked at how poorly they did when they received their score. In fact, very few people accurately predict their performance, both on the MCAT and on interviews, so I have to respectfully disagree.

Moreover, the cautionary tale often offered by adcoms is that employing your recommendation is likely to backfire if someone goes in intending to void, inaccurately feels good and decides not to void, and then receives a score commensurate with their level of preparation (bad!). In general, it's not a great idea to use an unscored test that you don't have an opportunity to review afterwards as an indication of anything, so it's pointless going in intending to void, regardless of whether or not you can get a refund.

All you need to say is:
Also, if I no show how will that be recorded? Will it say "void" or something else like "absent" because I can't seem to find anything on that.

Really? I know plenty of people who were convinced they bombed it who ended up doing fine (some of them even reported as much on SDN and reddit), while others thought they did well and were shocked at how poorly they did when they received their score. In fact, very few people accurately predict their performance, both on the MCAT and on interviews, so I have to respectfully disagree.

Moreover, the cautionary tale often offered by adcoms is that employing your recommendation is likely to backfire if someone goes in intending to void, inaccurately feels good and decides not to void, and then receives a score commensurate with their level of preparation (bad!). In general, it's not a great idea to use an unscored test that you don't have an opportunity to review afterwards as an indication of anything, so it's pointless going in intending to void, regardless of whether or not you can get a refund

Moreover, the cautionary tale often offered by adcoms is that employing your recommendation is likely to backfire if someone goes in intending to void, inaccurately feels good and decides not to void, and then receives a score commensurate with their level of preparation (bad!). In general, it's not a great idea to use an unscored test that you don't have an opportunity to review afterwards as an indication of anything, so it's pointless going in intending to void, regardless of whether or not you can get a refund.
lol? If I go in planning to void you better believe I am going to void. If others really lack self-control to do the same I don’t know what to say.

I got a 522 and came out of the exam knowing I scored 132 on b/b and c/p and doing well on p/s (131). Just as there are people who don’t think they did well who did do well, there are plenty of people who also know they did well because they trust their preparation, practice score, etc.

If I go in planning to void you better believe I am going to void. If others really lack self-control to do the same I don’t know what to say. Most people score within two points of their practice exams. Sure there are those who actually bomb the exam on test day, or do much higher than expected, but those are exceptions

OP has to void the exam because his/her practice tests are under 500, which means there's study to be done. Knowing how to play your cards is part of the admissions process; you don't want adcoms to see a 498 if you know you can do much better. You void the exam so they don't see a sub-500 score. "see how far he is from where he needs to be" is what happens at home, not during game day.

It can be useful for OP to get a feel of the testing room anyway.

I got a 522 and came out of the exam knowing I scored 132 on b/b and c/p and doing well on p/s (131). Just as there are people who don’t think they did well who did do well, there are plenty of people who also know they did well because they trust their preparation, practice score, etc.

If I go in planning to void you better believe I am going to void. If others really lack self-control to do the same I don’t know what to say. Most people score within two points of their practice exams. Sure there are those who actually bomb the exam on test day, or do much higher than expected, but those are exceptions

Agreed. Go with your gut. Void if you have to so that you live to fight another day. Once you score your exam, that's on permanent record. Even if you score a 497 attempt 1 and 512 attempt 2, many schools average your scores.

OP has to void the exam because his/her practice tests are under 500, which means there's study to be done. Knowing how to play your cards is part of the admissions process; you don't want adcoms to see a 498 if you know you can do much better. You void the exam so they don't see a sub-500 score. "see how far he is from where he needs to be" is what happens at home, not during game day.

It can be useful for OP to get a feel of the testing room anyway.

Agreed. Go with your gut. Void if you have to so that you live to fight another day. Once you score your exam, that's on permanent record. Even if you score a 497 attempt 1 and 512 attempt 2, many schools average your scores.
There’s no right answer to this question people can do what they want im OP situation but glad to hear someone else share my opinion.

I was actually someone who planned to take the exam years ago but stuff came up so I voided my first attempt. I would’ve lost the money for nothing so I sat for the exam which was a really valuable experience. It gave me confidence that the mcat wasn’t hieroglyphics and let me know that if I put the preparation in I could totally do well.

There’s no right answer to this question people can do what they want im OP situation but glad to hear someone else share my opinion.

I was actually someone who planned to take the exam years ago but stuff came up so I voided my first attempt. I would’ve lost the money for nothing so I sat for the exam which was a really valuable experience. It gave me confidence that the mcat wasn’t hieroglyphics and let me know that if I put the preparation in I could totally do well.
In my case, if I hadn't voided my 2nd MCAT, I wouldn't have gotten in. I knew something was off with me that day, so I just said f it I'll apply with my first score.
Also, if I no show how will that be recorded? Will it say "void" or something else like "absent" because I can't seem to find anything on that.
No-show just means you'll use up one of your lifetime/two-year period attempts. Nobody in admissions will see that you no-showed an MCAT.

I think you probably realize, based on your scores alone, that you are the exception, not the rule. VERY few people score 132 on anything. Even fewer leave the exam knowing it!! :cool: You are clearly extraordinary. Extrapolating your experience to the rest of us will do nothing but lead to a lot of disappointment.

Recorded? Yes! Reported? No. No shows count towards your lifetime exam limit, but AAMC only reports scores, not cancels, voids or no shows.

I think you probably realize, based on your scores alone, that you are the exception, not the rule. VERY few people score 132 on anything. Even fewer leave the exam knowing it!! :cool: You are clearly extraordinary. Extrapolating your experience to the rest of us will do nothing but lead to a lot of disappointment.

The point of his post was not that he scored a 132 on multiple section, but that you should trust your instincts during the exam in deciding whether or not to void, instead of banking on the "you usually score better than how you feel about your performance" myth.

If you mastered the material the first time, it'll come back with studying/prepping.

I took the MCAT just at graduation and did about average. I got a PhD (7 years) and didn't even think of things like Ochem or electrical circuits during that time. I took a Kaplan course when I was getting ready again (7 years post undergrad graduation) and made a huge jump in my score.

The info will be there. Your mental health is the first priority.

Recorded? Yes! Reported? No. No shows count towards your lifetime exam limit, but AAMC only reports scores, not cancels, voids or no shows.
Okay, so only an attempt will be gone but there won't be an explicit listing when I look up my score like void or no show then?

Okay, so only an attempt will be gone but there won't be an explicit listing when I look up my score like void or no show then?
Correct! The risk is you'll feel better than you thought you would and will decide not to void, and then beat yourself up when you see your score. It's happened, way more than once!

Plus, other than having the experience of going to a test center and taking an exam under test conditions (which you can easily replicate at home if you seriously want to), you'll derive no benefit, since you'll never know how you did and never have an ability to go over what you got wrong. As a result, the SDN adcom consensus is that taking the exam with the intent to void is a waste of time that can only lead to trouble. Full disclosure: I'm not an adcom, but have seen the advice posted on SDN often enough to be comfortable repeating it! :cool:

Correct! The risk is you'll feel better than you thought you would and will decide not to void, and then beat yourself up when you see your score. It's happened, way more than once!

Plus, other than having the experience of going to a test center and taking an exam under test conditions (which you can easily replicate at home if you seriously want to), you'll derive no benefit, since you'll never know how you did and never have an ability to go over what you got wrong. As a result, the SDN adcom consensus is that taking the exam with the intent to void is a waste of time that can only lead to trouble. Full disclosure: I'm not an adcom, but have seen the advice posted on SDN often enough to be comfortable repeating it! :cool:
Great thanks for the clarification!:thumbup: