Depressed & less than month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HNMR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take my exam end of Jan, and have finished all of content review. I took some TBR CBTS after my content review and did not do so well averaging 25-26!

I am really stressed out at the moment because I dont know what to do. Should I move my exam to march? Should I try AAMC 3 (I havent taken any AAMC). Please do leave a feedback. I only have about 24 days left before my exam.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, it's most important that you calm down. Give yourself a break and go on a quick jog, or run, or do something.

Next, yeah you should probably take an AAMC to assess yourself. But, to let you know, AAMC3 is known for being easier than the actual exam.

Finally, be aware you must change your date by Jan. 14, I think.

Uh, you definitely need to be taking some AAMC tests. Buy as many of them as you can afford and take them. If you want to get a real idea of where you're at, taking one of AAMC 7-10; I wasn't all that impressed with the non-authentic tests that I took (I scored 29 on an EK and Kaplan test that I took during my studying and ultimately ended up with a 41).

If you feel like you're not ready, move your test date back. You still have plenty of time to study assuming that you're not taking a crazy course load and are disciplined enough to study in addition to school work.

Thank your theMetalHawk and ColeonTheRoll for responding.

I thought after the content (TBR) that I will be ready for the FLs but for some reason TBR CBT are just kicking my butt. So I will take the AAMC tomorrow if I do 30+ then I might take it in jan also depending on how I do after AAMC3 (I know its not the best predictor but a 30+ would help me).

My spring semester is pretty crazy but I can get in about 20hrs of studying a week till march. So lets see and pray that those TBR were just hard and that I learned from the post game analysis.

ColeonTheRoll you are the man. I followed your post on Mayo Clinic on sdn and on this forum. I will try my best to perform well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am scheduled to take my exam end of Jan, and have finished all of content review. I took some TBR CBTS after my content review and did not do so well averaging 25-26!

I am really stressed out at the moment because I dont know what to do. Should I move my exam to march? Should I try AAMC 3 (I havent taken any AAMC). Please do leave a feedback. I only have about 24 days left before my exam.

Thank you

I'd like to reiterate what Cole said. You should definitely take at least one (and preferably more) AAMC full length exams. They'll both be a better predictor of how you're likely to do and also excellent practice to help you hone your test-taking skills. I'd recommend that you take AAMC 3 and another one in the next week or so. The higher numbers are more recent, and thus are slightly more similar to the exam you're likely to face, so maybe buy access to 10 or 11. Wake up in the morning, have a good breakfast and a cup of coffee, go for a short walk to clear your mind, and then sit down and take the exam. Put yourself in an environment without distractions, try to put yourself in a calm and focused frame of mind. If you do well on these, you're probably good to stick with your current test date. If you're not getting scores close to what you want, you might push it back. If you do push it back, I'd say go straight to late May or even June, not March. I know people who've repeatedly pushed their date back four or five times, and I think they'd have been better off just making one big jump. For whatever test date you do, I would recommend that you take as many of the AAMC exams as possible in the preceding several weeks. Approach them seriously, as you would the real test. Notice how your attention may start to wane after a few sections. Figure out how to pace yourself. And after each test, probably the next day, go over every single question you got wrong. Figure out why you missed it. If you're unclear on the concepts being tested, go back to your notes or review book and read about it again. If you made a careless mistake, think about how you can be more consistent and careful. After several such exams, compile a list of which topics are tripping you up, and do some extra review on those again. For me, this was the single most useful component of my studying. It definitely helped me to consistently perform, and to maximize my score.

I'd like to reiterate what Cole said. You should definitely take at least one (and preferably more) AAMC full length exams. They'll both be a better predictor of how you're likely to do and also excellent practice to help you hone your test-taking skills. I'd recommend that you take AAMC 3 and another one in the next week or so. The higher numbers are more recent, and thus are slightly more similar to the exam you're likely to face, so maybe buy access to 10 or 11. Wake up in the morning, have a good breakfast and a cup of coffee, go for a short walk to clear your mind, and then sit down and take the exam. Put yourself in an environment without distractions, try to put yourself in a calm and focused frame of mind. If you do well on these, you're probably good to stick with your current test date. If you're not getting scores close to what you want, you might push it back. If you do push it back, I'd say go straight to late May or even June, not March. I know people who've repeatedly pushed their date back four or five times, and I think they'd have been better off just making one big jump. For whatever test date you do, I would recommend that you take as many of the AAMC exams as possible in the preceding several weeks. Approach them seriously, as you would the real test. Notice how your attention may start to wane after a few sections. Figure out how to pace yourself. And after each test, probably the next day, go over every single question you got wrong. Figure out why you missed it. If you're unclear on the concepts being tested, go back to your notes or review book and read about it again. If you made a careless mistake, think about how you can be more consistent and careful. After several such exams, compile a list of which topics are tripping you up, and do some extra review on those again. For me, this was the single most useful component of my studying. It definitely helped me to consistently perform, and to maximize my score.

Thank you for that seriously it helps a lot. Yes, I will take AAMC3 tomorrow fresh and if I score better than the TBR exams then I will keep the date. As with making a big jump between exams that might harm me more because I have have content down I guess I have to follow your advice of learning my weaknesses and practicing more.