Depressed - Low GPA, retake classes? Need advice. Please help. :-(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I'm a Dentist from India, residing in Canada. During my schooling in India, my school had some registration problems. Unfortunately,due to this my GPA suffered greatly. I have been looking at my options in Canada/USA and have become very depressed due to my low GPA.

I have a GPA of 1.97. I'm considering writing the DAT for admission into a dental college in the USA/Canada, instead of going the NBDE route.

I read in previous threads that it's a beneficial to take classes or enter a master's program to improve my GPA.

Please guide me regarding this approach. How good it is, if it works?

Also, please recommend which courses should I repeat or take for this?

Which master's program is good? Will I be able to gain admission with my current GPA or improved GPA?

Please recommend any options or steps I should take before writing the DAT to secure admission.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi
my GPA was 1.97
NBDE 1 = 91
toefl 95
14 years experience.
got accepted in UIC.

thought of sharing my stats with you just in case it maight help you

yes alaex you can improve your gpa....join some mph or mba course here ...your new gpa will be the one given by this college course work...

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi,

I’m a Dentist from India, residing in Canada. During my schooling in India, my school had some registration problems. Unfortunately,due to this my GPA suffered greatly. I have been looking at my options in Canada/USA and have become very depressed due to my low GPA.

I have a GPA of 1.97. I’m considering writing the DAT for admission into a dental college in the USA/Canada, instead of going the NBDE route.

I read in previous threads that it’s a beneficial to take classes or enter a master’s program to improve my GPA.

Which master’s program is good? Will I be able to gain admission with my current GPA or improved GPA?

Please recommend any options or steps I should take before writing the DAT to secure admission.
Thanks

GPA is not the only thing they look for. School looks for your over all profile. So If you have good scores in NBDE 1 and 2 or you get MPH, you will have a fair chances to get into the school. Why to waste money and the time learning the same things again from the beginning.

Hi,

I’m a Dentist from India, residing in Canada. During my schooling in India, my school had some registration problems. Unfortunately,due to this my GPA suffered greatly. I have been looking at my options in Canada/USA and have become very depressed due to my low GPA.

I have a GPA of 1.97. I’m considering writing the DAT for admission into a dental college in the USA/Canada, instead of going the NBDE route.

I read in previous threads that it’s a beneficial to take classes or enter a master’s program to improve my GPA.

Which master’s program is good? Will I be able to gain admission with my current GPA or improved GPA?

Thanks

Do not let the low GPA destroy your life , you can do it for sure if you know what you are doing , make sure you have very good TOEFL score above 100 is great .regarding the boards, if I were you I will wait until next year where there will be no scores any more(PASS/FAIL) , it is always good to have MBA OR MAH degree from the US , try to keep your GPA as high as you can .Another things you can do is clinical proceptership here, NYU, Texas schools offer these programs which you can practice on patients, it is expressive to join one but it will boost your CV for sure not to mention the recommendation letter ;)

Do what I told you here and I will congratulate you next year for getting admission :) :thumbup:

Good luck and don't give up :)

Hi,

Thanks

If you want to take DAT you need to take all the required science classes to apply and that would probably take you 2 years. Also even if you do a Master's your dental GPA and Master's GPA will be separate so you will have 2 different GPA's on your application.