Depression and Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icantplayspades

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already posted on Reddit but I want a wealth of opinions:

I'm currently being treated for severe depression and, accordingly, I've missed a lot of class this semester (read: not EXAMS but one presentation). I know that I'm potentially going to fail or do poorly in some courses and I'm trying to figure out damage control. I still want to be a physician but I know this is going to look bad.

My GPA is already not so hot (read: 3.4x) and I feel like I should just give up. I was scheduled to graduate this Fall but now I have no clue. I was just approved for FAP and I want to take the MCAT this year but I know that know one will take mercy on me when I actually apply.

I'm just so distraught and I don't know what I'm doing/should do.

Any helpful input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can get into medical school with a 3.4 gpa if you have a well rounded application with solid ECs and clinical exposure.
Focus and do well on the MCAT and you will be fine. Definitely prioritize your mental health over everything though.

Reactions: 3 users
You can get into medical school with a 3.4 gpa if you have a well rounded application with solid ECs and clinical exposure.
Focus and do well on the MCAT and you will be fine. Definitely prioritize your mental health over everything though.

I understand what you're saying but my GPA is 3.4x now, before this semester rears its ugly head (I don't know how it will drop).
I wanted to take a break, work, and study for the MCAT but I keep thinking, what's the point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you're saying but my GPA is 3.4x now, before this semester rears its ugly head (I don't know how it will drop).
I wanted to take a break, work, and study for the MCAT but I keep thinking, what's the point?

Don't let a bad semester convince you you can't get into medicine. Ride out the semester and see where you're at. You can always apply to a SMP or take a few more classes after graduation. See your pre health advisor after you take the MCAT, they may have a better idea of what to do based on your score, GPA trend and other things.

However, I'd say it sounds like you need to do some serious soul searching and figure out if this is what you want to do though. As the wise @Goro would point out, medical school is a cauldron.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you withdraw from most of your classes? That can salvage your GPA -- Yes, you'll need another year, but likelier to be a successful year

Reactions: 5 users
Don't let a bad semester convince you you can't get into medicine. Ride out the semester and see where you're at. You can always apply to a SMP or take a few more classes after graduation. See your pre health advisor after you take the MCAT, they may have a better idea of what to do based on your score, GPA trend and other things.

However, I'd say it sounds like you need to do some serious soul searching and figure out if this is what you want to do though. As the wise @Goro would point out, medical school is a cauldron.

I'm staring to feel better NOW but I feel the damage has already been done; all I can do at this point is to ride out the semester and see what happens. I'll go see my professor tomorrow and see what may be salvaged. In addition, I cannot withdraw so I just have to grin and bear it. I know I want to be a physician and I know the process is arduous so I do what must be done to achieve my goal (i.e. taking time off to work on myself).

I do think I need to take a break.

With a doctor's letter, you may be able to drop all of your classes. Better an entire semester of W's than the alternative. Clearly, this is an option for a student who suffers a physical injury and if your illness is serious and documented by a physician, you should be able to get out.

Reactions: 5 users
Just keep in mind that if you truly want to be a doctor, then try your best and you will become one. I know there are a lot of contingencies with that being said, but we all have to try our best in the good and bad times.

After hearing that my professor's teaching assistant for organic chemistry finally got accepted into medical on their 7th cycle - it was a sort of gives me hope moment to not give up.

Best of luck to you!

You definitely can potentially be "excused" for medical reasons. I knew several people in my undergrad who did that with no issues. Most universities are very helpful and accessible about such things.

The above posters are right too. Go after medical school when you feel like you're in a place where you can be successful again. There is nothing wrong with that approach.

good luck man

Reactions: 1 user
Found out I cannot withdraw so I'm lost as to how to proceed

I found out that I could easily enter a PhD program at my school (have pubs in progress) but I know I'll have regrets if I don't at least try for medical school- what should I do?

I meet with my premed advisor and he said I may be okay if I stay in school a little longer (read: graduate next spring vs this fall) to raise my gpa but I'm not sure- has anyone been in similar straits?

I just received FAP and it lasts until 2018- should I try to graduate this year and take the MCAT next year and then wait? Should I apply next year?

Don't give up on medical school altogether! But get your health in order first. Applications can wait a year if they have to-- this isn't a race.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to get some A's bro. No way around it unfortunately. As for the GPA, I got in with a 3.5. Its all about the MCAT from here on out

I think I'm capable now given that I'm starting to get my stuff together.

"A"s or bust. Med school or bust!

Thanks guys!

Time to get some A's bro. No way around it unfortunately. As for the GPA, I got in with a 3.5. Its all about the MCAT from here on out

Reactions: 2 users
Welp, I cannot withdraw and I cannot get in contact with any of my professors. I just feel like I'm up the creek without a paddle.

Has your mental health provider refused to provide you with a letter saying you are unable for health reasons to continue in school this term?
Has your school refused to accept such a letter? Have you spoken to someone in the Registrar's office about withdrawing for medical reasons? Have you looked at your school policies regarding medical leave of absence? I know at least five people at three different schools who have taken medical leave of absence (life threatening injuries in two cases, cancer in two, serious infection in another) so I can't imagine that a school would not have a policy for such circumstances.

How can it be that you cannot get in contact with any of your professors? In any case, you need to be talking to the Registrar and/or your advisor, not the professors. If you get push back from your health care provider who wants you to power through the term, then talk to the professors about taking an incomplete in the class (if your school has that option) and finishing the requirements for a grade later in the year. This is a holiday weekend (Easter/Passover) so don't expect a response until Monday at the earliest.

Has your mental health provider refused to provide you with a letter saying you are unable for health reasons to continue in school this term?
Has your school refused to accept such a letter? Have you spoken to someone in the Registrar's office about withdrawing for medical reasons? Have you looked at your school policies regarding medical leave of absence? I know at least five people at three different schools who have taken medical leave of absence (life threatening injuries in two cases, cancer in two, serious infection in another) so I can't imagine that a school would not have a policy for such circumstances.

How can it be that you cannot get in contact with any of your professors? In any case, you need to be talking to the Registrar and/or your advisor, not the professors. If you get push back from your health care provider who wants you to power through the term, then talk to the professors about taking an incomplete in the class (if your school has that option) and finishing the requirements for a grade later in the year. This is a holiday weekend (Easter/Passover) so don't expect a response until Monday at the earliest.

After a certain date, no student may withdraw (unless you do so retroactively). I'm just really bummed because I'm supposed to apply in a few weeks and this was my last set of grades before I submit my app (i.e. I cannot fail or get mediocre marks).

If I fail, I'll be in school until next Spring and if I do poorly, my application will be affected.

I'm at a crossroads and I just don't know how to move forward. My PI informed me that I'd be ideal for my school's medicinal chemistry PhD program and I could easily get in but I'll feel bad if I don't try for medical school.

So why not withdraw retroactively?... that means that the term never happened; is that really so bad? It is better to be set back in your application by a year than take a semester of bad grades that don't reflect your ability and to have those grades following you forever.

The process and situation is complicated- my physician is likely not going to supply a letter and whatever marks I get will stand. All I can do is speak to my professors and see where I stand- I know I'm getting an A in one class but I'm unsure about the other 3.

So why not withdraw retroactively?... that means that the term never happened; is that really so bad? It is better to be set back in your application by a year than take a semester of bad grades that don't reflect your ability and to have those grades following you forever.

The process and situation is complicated- my physician is likely not going to supply a letter and whatever marks I get will stand. All I can do is speak to my professors and see where I stand- I know I'm getting an A in one class but I'm unsure about the other 3.
What that says to me is that you are not doing as poorly academically as you say you are and you aren't as sick as you first reported. In short, your depression is doing the talking Continue following your provider's recommendations so that you increase the chances that you will regain good health. Do your best to learn the material being covered and do your best to do well on your exams.

Let this be a lesson to everyone: I just realized I'm doing a lot better in my classes than expected/realized. If anyone here suffers from depression PLEASE make sure you see your doctor regularly and keep your self healthy (i.e. don't be like me and let depression dictate your life). I'm just glad that I'm sorting myself out before the (hopeful) gauntlet of med school.

Thanks guys!

What that says to me is that you are not doing as poorly academically as you say you are and you aren't as sick as you first reported. In short, your depression is doing the talking Continue following your provider's recommendations so that you increase the chances that you will regain good health. Do your best to learn the material being covered and do your best to do well on your exams.

Let this be a lesson to everyone: I just realized I'm doing a lot better in my classes than expected/realized. If anyone here suffers from depression PLEASE make sure you see your doctor regularly and keep your self healthy (i.e. don't be like me and let depression dictate your life). I'm just glad that I'm sorting myself out before the (hopeful) gauntlet of med school.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think that a tricky aspect of depression is that it can slowly permeate throughout your life until you don't realize how distorted your thought processes are (unless someone can give you a reality check). It can be truly suffocating. Glad to hear that you're seeking help! :)

I hope you did well this semester. You may not know this, but every school has one of two (or both) options when you have health problems :

1) take an incomplete. this will require you to do the remaining course work within a year.
2) MEDICAL withdrawal. This is not the same as a typical withdrawal and can usually only be done once. Your courses evaporate from your transcript like they never happened and it looks like you took a gap semester. It can be done even after the semester finishes IF there is sufficient medical documentation that you were in fact ill. You can have your doctor, therapist, etc. all provide you with documentation according to what the school needs, and you usually have to write a letter explaining. Also, you can get a refund for the semester after the classes are taken off your transcript. all of these have deadlines, so check.

I thought I should mention these in case other people have the same question. Although I DO hope you did good this semester :).
I already posted on Reddit but I want a wealth of opinions:

I'm currently being treated for severe depression and, accordingly, I've missed a lot of class this semester (read: not EXAMS but one presentation). I know that I'm potentially going to fail or do poorly in some courses and I'm trying to figure out damage control. I still want to be a physician but I know this is going to look bad.

My GPA is already not so hot (read: 3.4x) and I feel like I should just give up. I was scheduled to graduate this Fall but now I have no clue. I was just approved for FAP and I want to take the MCAT this year but I know that know one will take mercy on me when I actually apply.

I'm just so distraught and I don't know what I'm doing/should do.

Any helpful input appreciated!