Depression over poor HS performance, how can I get over it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protagonistic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year student at a university ranked tier 4, it is not in the top 100 or top 200 even. When I looked it up on US World News and Report it just said it was "tier 4".

I commute to school (live at home but go to school) and basically the social life at my current university is not that good. Most students who go here transfer to UGA, Georgia Tech or some other bigger university where most students live on dorms.

Here is my story. I used to live in the Northeast area of the US and went to a good elementary school there, I always finished first in my class, I always made 100s on assignments and recently I found out that most of those kids from elementary school (kept in touch with them over facebook) are now in colleges like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, and Columbia.

Well unfortunately my parent's job brought them down south and they had to live in a county/district where the average family income was around 30k, they couldn't afford a private school so they sent me to a public junior high school. Lets say that junior high was flooded with gangbangers, drug dealers, kids who bragged about having going to Juvenile hall and basically I was in the middle of it all. I was called all sorts of racial slurs, was often picked on for being the kid who cared in his classes and I unfortunately changed. I was bigger than a lot of the kids and most bullying was verbal (rarely physical) but it changed me.

I was able to do good enough to get into a magnet school but my bad junior high school had an influence on my views. I did not do the best my freshman year of high school or my sophomore year (ending both with a 2.8 GPA) and I ended up making 4.0s my junior and senior year. By then it was too late.

My high school did not offer much ECs, did not have a football or basketball program, most kids were satisfied by getting into UGA and my high school in the past 20 years only sent two kids to an Ivy.

My dream since elementary school was to go to Harvard but so many obstacles stood in my way of it that I feel like a loser now. My parents immigrated to this country so it isn't like I had family elsewhere.

Excuses excuses indeed but I can't seem to get over it......

Is there any solution? Mainly I am worried about my grad school dreams too....

Members don't see this ad.

You can get over it by remembering that NO ONE CARES about your time in HS once you're applying to medical school. It's not worth mentioning in the SLIGHTEST when it comes to application time unless you're continued an activity you were involved with back then. Hakuna Matata, man.

You can get over it by remembering that NO ONE CARES about your time in HS once you're applying to medical school. It's not worth mentioning in the SLIGHTEST when it comes to application time unless you're continued an activity you were involved with back then. Hakuna Matata, man.

But when you want to transfer elsewhere they still look at your HS records

Members don't see this ad :)
High school doesn't matter.

When i was in high school my GPA was 2.9 I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

But once i got into college, i focused and put education first, Pulled off straight A's

So don't worry, i had the chance to go to college after my sophomore year in high school, but this was under certain circumstances, i had to do good or i will be suspended for a semester.

This program was tough and the woman who enrolled me was of me skeptical because of my high school performance, but i proved her wrong and there is always room for change. So i thought a personal experience might help ya out. Btw, HS doesn't matter anyways and there is no need to mention it during a med school interview.
But yes, i think when transferring they look at your HS records, but i think it won't matter as much because the fact there is a big upward trend.

Also, never set your mind on one school especially a school which is in the top 20. Most people who are able to get in there even don't. So it all comes down to luck in the end because half the people who apply to those schools are all the same and competitive. You will realize when it comes to med school etc, it won't even matter what school you even get into, yes you might have a dream school and I'm not saying don't shoot for it, but you need to be open-minded and not think about a few schools. Apply broadly and smart. Also, going to an ivy for undergrad would put you in so much debt already before you even attend med school.

Last edited:
I say do the best you can from this point on. You cannot change the past so there is no use dwelling on it. Set long-term and short-term goals for yourself to improve your life in all areas (academically, socially, etc.)

Aside from the bullying, I have trouble understanding your excuses. I only attended public schools (I never went to a magnet school, private school or what not). To give you a sense of my high school.....4000 students, large achievement gap, girls would show up with their kids to class, our student rallies were canceled because too many students were bringing guns to school and there was excessive drinking, peer pressure dictated school work was dumb, unless you harnessed your inner rugby player...you were always late to class because the hallways were so crowded, I had to sit on a sink counter top for a year in my senior physics class.......I could go on.

My point is, I have internal drive that motivated me to succeed despite these obstacles. I don't think attending a school that has problems prevents individual success if the person works hard enough.

As far as the bullying goes, I was also bullied when I was younger. It was purely verbal, never physical. It hurt. But ultimately, I focused on what I could control. I focused on pursuing my interests, getting good grades, hanging out with my friends. I can still tell you comments that were said to me from 15 years ago because they stuck with me.....but I am choosing to define myself in terms of who I know I am, and not what people said. I suggest if it has had a huge effect on you, you may want to seek counseling.

Ultimately, chin up! Do well at your school. Transfer if you feel the need, although I'm not sure it's necessary for medical school admission. Focus on your future and active changes you can make to feel happy and reach your goals.

college record>>>HS

Is there any solution? Mainly I am worried about my grad school dreams too....
Look to the future. I didn't think anything surprised me anymore, but are you seriously reminiscing back to the good old days of elementary school? Let the past be the past and work towards where you want to be in the future.

Also, stop caring so much about what other people are doing. Worry about yourself.

one more oops

I have Indian parents, they made me take the major they found fit, first semester I finished with a 2.9

if I get a 4.0 the next two semesters I will have a 3.6 GPA.......

Well I plan on working harder, no way I can convince them and if you know Indian parents, you know how bad they can be

I'm still not sure if this is a troll thread. If it is then this is hilarious.

Maybe it's time to consider the Caribbean.

High School records are only important for undergraduate admission. Once you get 30+ college credits, most colleges no longer care about your SAT scores and high school grades.

the cool thing is, the future is what you make of it. although you can't change the past, you take from it what you can and learn.

move on. time to let that *#@! go.

No one cares about how you did in high school.

My dream since elementary school was to go to Harvard

That's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're depressed because you've boxed yourself into that mindset. Take a deep breath and start moving forward instead of lamenting in your past despairs. Because you know what? No one's life is perfect, you think you had some sort of extremely intolerable high school experience? Umm yah almost no one goes through HS untouched.
But guess what? You're here and you're alive. You had a bad freshman year? Who didn't? You're parents are being annoying? Sway them with a well researched argument.
You wanted to go to Harvard? Oh well you didn't get in, what are you going to do now? Feeling sorry for yourself ain't going to open up any doors if tha'ts what you're thinking. Seriously stop feeling bad for yourself and trying to get us to pity you. Stand up on your own two feet and start walking.

What a mature and empathetic response. I am sure you will make a great doctor.

:rolleyes:

as to the OP. I suggest some individual or family therapy. Family is no doubt playing a big part in your confidence issues, and unfortunately undergrad counseling centers are full of too many indian students who have families forcing terrible decisions on them.

No one cares about how you did in high school.

While it could've been couched in friendlier terms, this is pretty much the truth. By the time you're applying to med schools, no one gives a rat's ass what your high school life was like. Honestly, you shouldn't either because it's just holding you back.

Your talk of "my elementary school buddies are all now at Ivies!" is super lame. Go spend some time with your school's counselor. You'll have someone who's paid to hear you whine about stuff. Then get better grades, transfer to a better reputation school, and apply to med school.

Re the OP, there can sometimes be advantages to going to a non-top tier school. If you're at Harvard, Yale etc. it's full of hypercompetitive overachievers and it's pretty hard to stand out, but at a less well known college you can get to know your professors better and have opportunities you might not get elsewhere.

You still have a lot of time...if you do well in college no one's going to care about how you did in high school.

Hell I did horrible in HS, and didn't go to a highly ranked college (forbes #600) to say the least. I did well though, and feel I got a good education. I'm not worried about it. The institution you go to isn't nearly as big a deal as the grade you get.

encouraging stories and good motivation guys but see here is where my issue comes in

I know that I won't be going to Harvard or Yale and that in a way hurts me because the same kids who I could have been on par with had my parents stayed up North are now enjoying college. I mean they are living it up at prestigious 4 year universities where a large majority of all people will probably end up earning six figure jobs while I am at a small university mostly full of people going back to college. I am not trying to whine or anything but it hurts because you think "that could have been me".

encouraging stories and good motivation guys but see here is where my issue comes in

I know that I won't be going to Harvard or Yale and that in a way hurts me because the same kids who I could have been on par with had my parents stayed up North are now enjoying college. I mean they are living it up at prestigious 4 year universities where a large majority of all people will probably end up earning six figure jobs while I am at a small university mostly full of people going back to college. I am not trying to whine or anything but it hurts because you think "that could have been me".

Until you let go of what could have been, you will never move forward.

I didn't even finish highschool (left early). Naturally I have few (almost none) activities from that time. Multiple acceptances in all tiers.

Nuff said

~~~~~~Fin~~~~~~

No one from my high school ever went to a top 25 schools. We had no teams of any sort, and there were no on-campus ECs. Most of my class didn't even go to college. I've been accepted to multiple medical schools, and still waiting for more (including top 25 schools). Your high school performance is practically irrelevant.

OK, do people even read threads? Troll detected.

And there it is ladies and gentleman! This thread is now complete.

So people just make up the definition of the word troll and go with it as they please. You may be serious and uptight but I like to loosen up and joke around, if you are a racist who has a problem with me liking Latinas I say get over it and focus on your own social life. Troll detected?

Yes I am quoting one right now. Christ I hate people like you who make a big deal out of nothing.

REALLY?

REEEAAAAALLLLYYYY?

"Hey I like Latinas"

OMG DUDE YOU ARE SUCH A TROLL, YOU SHOULD BE LIKING WHITE WOMEN!

How screwed up are you in the head?!

Again, I am a guy seeking advice, if you simply cannot give it then please get lost. I wish there was a block button on here because you would be the first person I block. Just HOW do people make up the definition of the word troll? What next? Someone says Black instead of African American and you call them a racist? GET LOST

So people just make up the definition of the word troll and go with it as they please. You may be serious and uptight but I like to loosen up and joke around, if you are a racist who has a problem with me liking Latinas I say get over it and focus on your own social life. Troll detected?

Yes I am quoting one right now. Christ I hate people like you who make a big deal out of nothing.

REALLY?

REEEAAAAALLLLYYYY?

"Hey I like Latinas"

OMG DUDE YOU ARE SUCH A TROLL, YOU SHOULD BE LIKING WHITE WOMEN!

How screwed up are you in the head?!

Again, I am a guy seeking advice, if you simply cannot give it then please get lost. I wish there was a block button on here because you would be the first person I block. Just HOW do people make up the definition of the word troll? What next? Someone says Black instead of African American and you call them a racist? GET LOST
*Reads bolded*
*Realizes why OP is flipping out in this post*

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

God I love this place.

you are a troll, nuff said

a troll or a pathological liar, you don't just come in and call someone a troll for no reason, that is idiotic, what the heck is the matter with you? Are the boy who cries wolf?

673x1h.jpg

It is believed in our society (American society) that a degree from Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford pretty much makes you set for life. I mean think about it, students RARELY flunk out of those universities. I wonder something, does a degree from those universities basically pave life for you?

Like are you basically set for life if you graduate from Princeton regardless of your GPA?

Is there such thing as a top 5 college grad who is not doing financially well after he finishes college?

That question has been itching my mind.

What's high school? I dun remember.

It is believed in our society (American society) that a degree from Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford pretty much makes you set for life. I mean think about it, students RARELY flunk out of those universities. I wonder something, does a degree from those universities basically pave life for you?

Like are you basically set for life if you graduate from Princeton regardless of your GPA?

Is there such thing as a top 5 college grad who is not doing financially well after he finishes college?

The owner of the Quiznos that I worked at was a Princeton graduate. Conan O'Brien graduated from Harvard. So the answer to your questions are yes, yes, and yes.

Last edited:
Who wants to bet that protagonist is either a middle school student about to start HS or a HS student about to start college

OP, you failed at your one true dream. Get the **** over it and accept the paths that YOU laid out for yourself. The simple fact is most highly ranked colleges and universities don't take many transfers, especially transfers with mediocre GPAs.

OP, you failed at your one true dream. Get the **** over it and accept the paths that YOU laid out for yourself. The simple fact is most highly ranked colleges and universities don't take many transfers, especially transfers with mediocre GPAs.

How can you stay on this site with a display name like yours?

The great thing about undergrad is starting anew. Take the opportunity to seize the day. Do your best and spend the big bucks on your graduate education.

The cool thing about college is that it is a fresh start. I am a high school drop out (GED). I am now at a dang good school and that is all that really matters. If I keep my GPA where it is along with EC's etc. do you think anyone will even know unless I tell them? No, they won't, and they won't for you either. You can't look forward if you are constantly looking back, so get over it and move on.

The cool thing about college is that it is a fresh start. I am a high school drop out (GED). I am now at a dang good school and that is all that really matters. If I keep my GPA where it is along with EC's etc. do you think anyone will even know unless I tell them? No, they won't, and they won't for you either. You can't look forward if you are constantly looking back, so get over it and move on.

Actually I think that I can use looking back to my advantage whenever I feel like slacking off and not studying. My next semester I am taking calc 1, chem 1212, Honors English and an elective class which should be easy.

So that is how the trolls on here are, they call other people trolls as if to provoke them, almost in an attempt to make it seem like they are not the one causing the problem. Cowardly attempt if you ask me, I prefer trolls who just straight up insult a person and are actually original, not stealing avatars and names off of an old comedy show which no one really cares about anymore.