Dermatologist at the Water Park

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopperStripes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in a long line waiting to go down a water slide at an amusement park. Squeezed in between countless other people in nothing but skimpy bathing suits, it was often unavoidable to glance at their skin. And so I got to thinking, what if I was a dermatologist waiting in that line? I would see all of their moles, sunburns, skin disorders and bug bites. What goes through a dermatologist's head in such a situation? Does he do everything in his power to keep his mind focused on other things, or does he have to resist the urge to tap the person on the shoulder and say, "You know that oddly shaped mole on your left lower back? You should really get that checked out," or maybe he actually does say that to them, possibly handing them his business card and assuring the fellow water slide riders that he can take care all of their skin-related difficulties.

Members don't see this ad.

That is a pretty good marketing idea. They should probably be with a kid or something to make it look a little more innocent. Maybe sports med docs should hang out at the gym with business cards too, $$$$$.

CopperStripes said:
Yesterday I was in a long line waiting to go down a water slide at an amusement park. Squeezed in between countless other people in nothing but skimpy bathing suits, it was often unavoidable to glance at their skin. And so I got to thinking, what if I was a dermatologist waiting in that line? I would see all of their moles, sunburns, skin disorders and bug bites. What goes through a dermatologist's head in such a situation? Does he do everything in his power to keep his mind focused on other things, or does he have to resist the urge to tap the person on the shoulder and say, "You know that oddly shaped mole on your left lower back? You should really get that checked out," or maybe he actually does say that to them, possibly handing them his business card and assuring the fellow water slide riders that he can take care all of their skin-related difficulties.
hmm, idk

id be there to have fun, not to bring my business with me, but who knows ill tell u in about a decade.

Members don't see this ad :)
how bout a gynecologist at a strip club

CopperStripes said:

if they dont come to you for medical advice, it really is none of your business

its really up to the doctor to decide. i mean if i was absolutely 100% certain that it was melanoma, maybe...maybe id point it out, just cause i just cant sit idly by knowing that it takes very litle to tell that person then to let him or her die. But then you also have to get into consideration of gray areas and such and telling someone that they might have melanoma when the didnt ask you, and then getting into the sticky situation of being possibly sued for emotional damages by notifying them, etc. etc. Relaly a tough situation to call. Hands off approach is the safest for your career, but less satisfying for your conscience.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
is he OBLIGATED by the oath to tell someone if they have melanoma???????

how about the "i already know. i was just trying to get my mind off of it by enjoying the day with my kids. thanks for reminding me, jackass!"

Robizzle said:
how about the "i already know. i was just trying to get my mind off of it by enjoying the day with my kids. thanks for reminding me, jackass!"
then u could say, better safe then sorry...

Robizzle said:
how bout a gynecologist at a strip club

Yes, or a plastic surgeon. Surely they would have some advice.

CopperStripes said:

Once you have some medical training, you will see people with ailments about daily, not just if you go into derm - people walking certain ways, breathing certain ways, profusely sweating, swollen, cyanotic, jaundiced, the list is endless. You will see people with classic signs and symptoms of all kinds of ailments. And it is pretty unprofessional to solicit business in this way (it's "ambulance chasing", pure and simple - exactly what people get POd at "slip and fall" PI lawyers for), although if you suggest that someone get something checked out, that's being a good (or in many cases unwanted) samaritan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Richard Selzer (a surgeon/author) wrote a short story along these lines. The narrator is a surgeon at a surgical convention who has a call girl up to his hotel room. He sees and feels an irregularity and suspects that she has undiagnosed breast cancer.... good story.

LizzyM said:
Richard Selzer (a surgeon/author) wrote a short story along these lines. The narrator is a surgeon at a surgical convention who has a call girl up to his hotel room. He sees and feels an irregularity and suspects that she has undiagnosed breast cancer.... good story.

His wife probably didn't think so.

Law2Doc said:
Once you have some medical training, you will see people with ailments about daily, not just if you go into derm - people walking certain ways, breathing certain ways, profusely sweating, swollen, cyanotic, jaundiced, the list is endless. You will see people with classic signs and symptoms of all kinds of ailments. And it is pretty unprofessional to solicit business in this way (it's "ambulance chasing", pure and simple - exactly what people get POd at "slip and fall" PI lawyers for), although if you suggest that someone get something checked out, that's being a good (or in many cases unwanted) samaritan.
I find myself avoiding unhealthy looking people in public settings on the offhand chance they might collapse so I don't have to work on my days off. :laugh:

DropkickMurphy said:
I find myself avoiding unhealthy looking people in public settings on the offhand chance they might collapse so I don't have to work on my days off. :laugh:

That attitude certainly explains the brisk sales of the "I don't know CPR" T shirts. :laugh:

DropkickMurphy said:

That's why I hate going to restaurants, and people eat/drink something and start coughing or choking.

DropkickMurphy said:

Dropkick has a restraining order against all ugly people.
-Dr. P.

I didn't say ugly. I said unhealthy. :laugh:

That attitude certainly explains the brisk sales of the "I don't know CPR" T shirts.
I personally would like one that says "I don't know CPR, let alone ACLS!" :laugh:

LizzyM said:
If you are close enough to "smell patients", it is a clinical experience.

And if you come away smelling like said patient, you're too close.

I think the point the OP was making is that after the training, it's not something you can turn off. You will always subconsciously notice peoples ailments.

I think the real question is, how would the derms at the water park in line for the slide keep their cards from getting wet....

braluk said:
hmm, idk

id be there to have fun, not to bring my business with me, but who knows ill tell u in about a decade.

TSK said:
I think the real question is, how would the derms at the water park in line for the slide keep their cards from getting wet....
Lamination of course! :laugh:

DropkickMurphy said:

That's like the best line ever. Is soo funny even thoug it shouldnt be.

lion_08 said:
That's like the best line ever. Is soo funny even thoug it shouldnt be.
Sadly, I can't take credit for it. It's an old joke about a sign you've been in the medical field WAY too long......