Dermatologist vs. Orthodontist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurryPower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it comes down to it on pure credentials and work, whats harder to get for a residency (being the top dental student vs. being the top medical student) and, while lifestyle and salary are equivalent, what distinguishes one from the other in terms of tangible benefits?

Members don't see this ad.

Dermatalogists, without a doubt.

In dentistry, any dentist can (technically) do ortho. It's hard to become an orthodontist, but that doesn't stop any dentist from doing any ortho treatment, as long he acquires training to do them (CE courses, etc). I don't think this would be the case in medicine, specially in radiology, plastic surgery and dermatology (the top tier specialties).

Currypower, this medical/dental issue is really a dilemma for you, isn't it? I was surprised to see come back out with more questions about it. Good luck figuring it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
man, im suprised u remembered. yeah, its an issue because its just on a daily basis, when im doing research or studying for the MCAT, i always ask myself why, but if take the easier path, im also like what if....

But by the same token, can't an MD also do things that are beyond thier scope of specialty by doing a 1 yr gen surg residency. Take a look at those gynos doing implants and face lifts and such on Dr. 90210. I know they can't call themselves plastic surgeons (specialty) but can call themselves cosmetic surgeons. I might be way off, but I think it can be done, and it probably is more prevalent in Medicine than Dentistry

man, im suprised u remembered. yeah, its an issue because its just on a daily basis, when im doing research or studying for the MCAT, i always ask myself why, but if take the easier path, im also like what if....

If you ask me BOTH paths are extremely difficult. Both offer pretty sweet deals, and both involve treating oily skinned teens (either their acne or their crooked teeth):laugh: Pick the one you think you would enjoy more.

"It's easier than matching into dermatology" isn't saying much. Ortho is perennially ruthless specialty to match, as several members of the dental forums can attest.

Also, don't forget that you have many more options as a physician if you don't make it into derm (or if you change your current priorities and choose another specialty). In dentistry, if you don't make it into ortho or decide you don't like it (I frankly don't like doing ortho all that much), you'll still be stuck with dentistry in some fashion.

In dentistry, any dentist can (technically) do ortho. It's hard to become an orthodontist, but that doesn't stop any dentist from doing any ortho treatment, as long he acquires training to do them (CE courses, etc).

Actually, that is the same for medical GP/FPs who want to do a bit of derm. "Technically".. they too can do something similar (and do small biopsies for skin cancer, etc). I don't see much of a difference.