Dermatology residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by DOnut, Jan 13, 2002.

1. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I will be starting med school this fall but already thinking ahead. I'm interested in specializing in Derm but heard it is an extremely competitive residency. Any advice on increasing my chances of getting into one? What can make me stand out from other applicants? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member

Since many applicants if not most have their best shot at their own med schools derm dept I would suggest you find out what research opportunities are available in your Derm dept , pursue a research project, get to know attendings with clout as political contacts and recs are very important and do well above average in your studies and you should be ok.

4. DermRes

DermRes Member

I agree...

There is a derm program at NYCOM. Check with the department if you can sit in on some journal clubs or basic science lectures. Then arrange a derm rotation as soon as possible with NYCOM. Even if you do not eventually get in there, you may be able to get a good letter from the program director that will allow you get be accepted at another derm program

Attend AAD and AOCD meetings to meet program directors. Do this early on. If you hang around, people will start noticing you.