dermatology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natalieboren

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a third year who wants to know more about applying for a derm residency as a D.O. student. I am trying to find out as much as possible about both the allopathic and osteopathic programs. I am having trouble getting info from the A.O.A. about being able to apply for an osteopathic internship and an allopathic derm residency at the same time.(Most derm programs require you to apply a year in advance). I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do an ACGME derm program, you have to realize that it is extremely competitive. You will also need to do your PGY-I (transitional year or prelim year) at an ACGME approved program. This means that you can not do an AOA internship and then have it count towards your PGY-I for a ACGME derm program.
There are some dully accredited (AOA/ACGME) PGY-I programs out there (Arrowhead in Calif and UHS/Willson Memorial in New York are the two I know about. For ACGME Derm programs you will need to apply at the same time your are applying for your PGY-I program. Although this is not an absolute requirement almost all the spots for Derm will be filled a year in advance.

Also, if you want to an AOA Derm residency then you MUST do an AOA approved internship.
As of next year you WILL NOT be allowed to participate in both matches. So you have to choose either AOA or ACGME.

AOA has recently made some changes in their policy, in that if you do an ACGME Transitional year, you will be able to get it approved by AOA if you do some extra work.

From what I have heard, there are very good AOA derm programs out there. The one I kept hearing about was the one at POH in Michigan.

Good luck,
RB

Is it possible to do an AOA internship and then an ACGME residency? Also, must you choose AOA internship or ACGME residency, as far as applying or going through a matching process? What would you suggest doing?

Thanks

young guy np

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard question to answer over the message board. Contact some DMEs in the specific residencies that you are interested in and ask them. But here is brief answer:

It depends on the residency. There are some ACGME residencies that require you to do a preliminary or transitional year. For example, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Radiology, Anesthesiology, some Emergency Medicine programs will all require you do a preliminary year and then start your residency as a PGY-II.

Now some of these programs will count your AOA internship as your PGY-I (i.e. most anesthesiology programs will). However, the rest will require you to complete your PGY-I at an ACGME approved program.

If you have done your AOA internship and the program will not count that as your PGY-I, you will have to repeat your PGY-I again at an ACGME program. This creates some problems. Namely, you will add one year to your post-graduate training. Also, if the program decides to take you, they will only get half funding from the government for your last year of residency since you have taken an extra year to complete their residency program. Some programs might not take you for this reason.....

Don't want to discourage you but you better have good connection on top of being like number one in your class and with top 10% on your boards.

My impression is to get into a derm program is harder than Orthopedics really...b/c it is such a relaxing specialty very rarely your patients die and these days everything is heading towards cosmetics...

Now, if you are interested in basic derm as a family doc you can get plenty of that....

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

Originally posted by RBorhani:

As of next year you WILL NOT be allowed to participate in both matches. So you have to choose either AOA or ACGME.

RB: I'm a little confused. I thought that you CAN participate in both matches, but you automatically match to an AOA first if you get accepted.

I was pretty excited a couple of weeks ago when I found out that it was possible to apply to both. Now im confused. Please elaborate.

mig

I don't believe that is truth!!

I think there was some confusion this and prior years b/c some jerks were so unsecure that they were securing acceptances in same specialty but within both matches which is not legal!!!!!

Blame other graduating fellow students who are so immature they have to be holding to one acceptance then trying to secure more desirable ones...Guess what he got kicked from both matches cuz the director of one program was really pissed at his dishonesty!!! so he called the other program to force them to can the fellah.

So dont be greedy!