Dermatology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KYD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an osteopathic student interested in doing a dermatology residency. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.
1) Osteopathic - do most applicants apply for an internship via the match, then apply the following year for Derm residency? Or do they apply via the match for Derm?
2) Allopathic - How hard is it to be an osteopathic student applying for an allopathic residency in derm? Are there any programs that you know of that accepts DOs?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto that ditto.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have some information about Dermatology that may answer your questions. Dermatology is very competetive, only about two thirds of applicants found a position through the match. There are 291 NRMP (MD) positions thta would be open to both MD and DO student applicants, 8 DO positions that would only be open to DO students. There are 11 AOA approved programs, if you know what that means, I'm not sure. Dermatology residencies are three years following initial training, nearly all posiitons beginning at the PGY2 positions are available to med students through the NRMP Match, most applicants must arrange their own internship, several programs require the prior completion of a residency in another specialty. There are approximately 20 PGY-1 positions in 4 year programs. I got this information from Iserson's Getting into a Residency, it's a very good book and I would highly recommend it.

It will be very difficult for an Osteopathic student to match into an allopathic Derm program,this is possibly the most competitive residency due to the very small number of avaiable spots.Most matched applicants either rank very high in their class or have done derm research or both,and are familiar to the program they match into.Your efforts are likely to be most rewarded by concentrating on Osteopathic programs.

Thanks everyone for all your help and info.
KYD

It is to my understanding that there is no DO derm match. Everyone apply during the internship year.