Dermatology vs Orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dermatology is said to be one of the most competitive specialties in medicine and orthodontics is one of the most competitive specialties in dentistry. If you could start schooling all over, which one would you rather be and which would be a better career, money-wise?

My thoughts:
- I believe dermatology is a lot more competitive than orthodontics. A lot of applicants take years off in medical school JUST to do research. Having multiple publications is expected for a competitive applicant
- Dermatology residency spot numbers are strictly controlled. Not the same for dental residencies (especially orthodontics)
- Dermatology residency is four years PAID residency while orthodontics is generally 3 (sometimes 2) and usually has TUITION

Members don't see this ad.

1596311165916.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Derm is the better deal for sure, but the sight of a skin lesion instantly triggers my emetic reflex. I think the best deal out of dentistry and medicine overall is OMFS. Money to lifestyle ratio is off the charts. Only downsides are the competitiveness (still not nearly as bad as derm honestly) and the grueling residency (up there with the other surgical subs).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to 2008 and prior to aligner development ..... I would say ORTHO better than DERM from a financial standpoint. There were so many opportunities for multiple Ortho offices back then with growing revenue. Easy for a single ortho with a traveling staff to see many, many patients. Now. I fully believe ORTHO has lost some of it's luster. GPs and others doing ortho has chipped away from a pool of patients that were originally seen only by orthos. We used to have the monopoly on crooked teeth correction. Not anymore. Corps with their Orthos. SDC. GPs and Pedos hiring Orthos when it used to be the other way around. Look at all the new ORTHO schools just churning out new Orthos. I went to a stipend paying residency with 4 residents. How many orthos are churned out at that school in Georgia?

As for lifestyle. Obviously ORTHOS compared to the other dental specialties including general have an easier, less stressful job. We see alot of patients, but alot of the procedures are delegated. Our patients are essentially young and healthy. We don't strain our eyes to see the distal crown margin on #2. I've been doing this for 27 years and I STILL ENJOY IT. Even now that I'm in Corp.

I remember I had an appointment with a young DERM. We were comparing notes. He knew I was an ORTHO. He made the comment that he looks at wrinkly, old skin ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. Now of course he quickly followed that statement that I was the exception and I had wonderful, youthful skin. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Do
Prior to 2008 and prior to aligner development ..... I would say ORTHO better than DERM from a financial standpoint. There were so many opportunities for multiple Ortho offices back then with growing revenue. Easy for a single ortho with a traveling staff to see many, many patients. Now. I fully believe ORTHO has lost some of it's luster. GPs and others doing ortho has chipped away from a pool of patients that were originally seen only by orthos. We used to have the monopoly on crooked teeth correction. Not anymore. Corps with their Orthos. SDC. GPs and Pedos hiring Orthos when it used to be the other way around. Look at all the new ORTHO schools just churning out new Orthos. I went to a stipend paying residency with 4 residents. How many orthos are churned out at that school in Georgia?

As for lifestyle. Obviously ORTHOS compared to the other dental specialties including general have an easier, less stressful job. We see alot of patients, but alot of the procedures are delegated. Our patients are essentially young and healthy. We don't strain our eyes to see the distal crown margin on #2. I've been doing this for 27 years and I STILL ENJOY IT. Even now that I'm in Corp.

I remember I had an appointment with a young DERM. We were comparing notes. He knew I was an ORTHO. He made the comment that he looks at wrinkly, old skin ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. Now of course he quickly followed that statement that I was the exception and I had wonderful, youthful skin. :D
Do you work for a general dental corporation that hires you as their Ortho, independent contractor ?

This is not how you choose how to spend the rest of your life doing

Reactions: 5 users
Do

Do you work for a general dental corporation that hires you as their Ortho, independent contractor ?

After 25 plus years in private practice. I sold both of my ortho practices, the associated real estate and work for a dental corp. chain. I work PT and my life is pretty easy right now. Works for myself. Wouldn't recommend working for a dental corp as a lifelong career.

I'll take some occasional bad breath and plaque over removing a cyst off some old guy's scrotum any day.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Dermatology is said to be one of the most competitive specialties in medicine and orthodontics is one of the most competitive specialties in dentistry. If you could start schooling all over, which one would you rather be and which would be a better career, money-wise?

My thoughts:
- I believe dermatology is a lot more competitive than orthodontics. A lot of applicants take years off in medical school JUST to do research. Having multiple publications is expected for a competitive applicant
- Dermatology residency spot numbers are strictly controlled. Not the same for dental residencies (especially orthodontics)
- Dermatology residency is four years PAID residency while orthodontics is generally 3 (sometimes 2) and usually has TUITION
I would still pursue ortho because I know my own shortcomings. I am not smart enough for derm. Even for ortho, I didn't think I could get in. My younger brother is a lot smarter and has better social skills than me. In addition to his regular job, he flies around the country to give lectures for the drug companies. He has very good oratory skills. When in med school, he applied for derm and got 8-9 interviews. He also applied for internal medicine in case he didn't match to derm. And he didn't match to derm. He did 3 yr of internal medicine....and then 3 more years of GI fellowship.

I don't know if dermatologists have to rely on the insurances and referrals from the family doctors or not. What I love about ortho is a lot of my ortho patients (more than half) don't have insurance and they pay me cash. And I don't need to rely on the GPs for referrals as much as other specialties. It's also much easier to get case acceptances for ortho because the patients have the option to make monthly payments.....and zero interest.

Wait what? Why is a dentist posting this? I thought it was a college kid contemplating a future career. If your motivation is money, the medical field will always be better. If your motivation is lifestyle, I'd go the dentistry route.

Wait what? Why is a dentist posting this? I thought it was a college kid contemplating a future career. If your motivation is money, the medical field will always be better. If your motivation is lifestyle, I'd go the dentistry route.

Or both.... I would still go dentistry route.

Idk about the earning potential but Dermatologist>>Urologist >>> Orthodontist just because MD>>>DMD in terms of prestige

Idk about the earning potential but Dermatologist>>Urologist >>> Orthodontist just because MD>>>DMD in terms of prestige
I'm glad I didn't make my career choice based on "prestige" lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is not productive:

1-Getting into dental school is way less competitive than MD programs. DO programs are about the same.

2- Getting through medical school is way harder than getting through dental school. (don't give me the BS about "we have to go to lab"). Rotation years in medicine is tough, and the primary motivation for someone to get through medical school is their shadowing experience when they realized the attending's impact on their patients.

3- Everyone knows dental specialties require probably half the effort compared to a competitive medical specialty in terms of actually being competitive for one. OMFS during residency is clearly brutal rivaling that of medical sub specialties, but even being competitive for OMFS isn't that difficult.

Now, the average medical applicant, 230 step 1 etc. can easily be competitive for all dental specialties assuming they worked just as hard if they chose dentistry. Same cannot be said the other way around.

So because of this, I would imagine most orthodontic peoples would still go for that, realizing that they probably don't have the same work ethic, nor do they want to work as hard as their medical peers because they don't have an ego. I believe you need a certain amount of ego to get through medical school. That is probably a boon to dentists, because they don't really care about prestige or ego, so in the end they get a decent lifestyle and live comfortably.

You will have some people who get jaded in medicine and would choose dentistry, and I imagine others in dentistry with an ego who will choose medicine. So in the end, it comes down to your innate, almost primal desires and how you wish to be perceived by society.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Honestly, you sound like you don't know much about dental school/dental curriculum. As a current D3 interested in OMFS who has a SO that is an M3 at a decent MD School (top 20-30) here are my thoughts.

1-Getting into dental school is way less competitive than MD programs. DO programs are about the same.

Agree with you on this.
2- Getting through medical school is way harder than getting through dental school. (don't give me the BS about "we have to go to lab"). Rotation years in medicine is tough, and the primary motivation for someone to get through medical school is their shadowing experience when they realized the attending's impact on their patients.
Labwork is no joke, I was putting in 65-75 hrs a week total during D2 with indirect, prosth, practicing for practicals etc on top of our 40hrs a week mandatory attendance. And we had 1-2 tests each week also. Meanwhile my SO was sitting at home chilling and hitting that spacebar, then cramming for a couple days before each major test block. Also most med students compare that rotations are straight up glorified shadowing, whereas dental students are actually seeing patients and drilling into them, so that's not really a good argument.
3- Everyone knows dental specialties require probably half the effort compared to a competitive medical specialty in terms of actually being competitive for one. OMFS during residency is clearly brutal rivaling that of medical sub specialties, but even being competitive for OMFS isn't that difficult.

Semi-agree here. Most specialties in dentistry are pay-to-play, but the few stipend paying ones are definitely competitive. Also most dental schools are still ranked, whereas medical schools are P/F for the most part or your rank doesn't matter ( though AOA is always nice). But you can't compare Plastics/Derm to perio/prosth. Family med, Peds, IM which is what the majority of med students enter, is not competitive, especially community programs.

Now, the average medical applicant, 230 step 1 etc. can easily be competitive for all dental specialties assuming they worked just as hard if they chose dentistry. Same cannot be said the other way around.
Yea, no. It's a different skill set. Just because you're good at taking tests doesn't mean you're good at lab/clinic which is huge. Hand skills are something that can be trained, but some people are naturally gifted and you can't beat them. That's what it takes to be 1-5 at my school. This is like all the dental/med students saying they should've gone into tech because they could easily make 250k$ starting salary because memorizing biochem and coding are the same....
So because of this, I would imagine most orthodontic peoples would still go for that, realizing that they probably don't have the same work ethic, nor do they want to work as hard as their medical peers because they don't have an ego. I believe you need a certain amount of ego to get through medical school. That is probably a boon to dentists, because they don't really care about prestige or ego, so in the end they get a decent lifestyle and live comfortably.

You will have some people who get jaded in medicine and would choose dentistry, and I imagine others in dentistry with an ego who will choose medicine. So in the end, it comes down to your innate, almost primal desires and how you wish to be perceived by society.
This just sounds sad honestly. You should take pride in who you are, but doing things for prestige and glory isn't gonna matter much when you have patients cuss you out while you're working 80 hrs a week. Also this thread is about derm. Half of my friends from high school think dermatology= cosmetology lol, you're not getting "respect" from the average joe regardless. If you wanna do neurosurgery or something, then your argument is more valid.

If you have the luxury of deciding between medical or dental school then you also have the luxury of choosing a career you are truly interested in ( which, unfortunately, most people don't get). While I don't think passion is the end all to be all, it is a factor to be considered. I would look into the term ikigai.

Reactions: 9 users
Honestly, you sound like you don't know much about dental school/dental curriculum. As a current D3 interested in OMFS who has a SO that is an M3 at a decent MD School (top 20-30) here are my thoughts.

Agree with you on this.

Labwork is no joke, I was putting in 65-75 hrs a week total during D2 with indirect, prosth, practicing for practicals etc on top of our 40hrs a week mandatory attendance. And we had 1-2 tests each week also. Meanwhile my SO was sitting at home chilling and hitting that spacebar, then cramming for a couple days before each major test block. Also most med students compare that rotations are straight up glorified shadowing, whereas dental students are actually seeing patients and drilling into them, so that's not really a good argument.

Semi-agree here. Most specialties in dentistry are pay-to-play, but the few stipend paying ones are definitely competitive. Also most dental schools are still ranked, whereas medical schools are P/F for the most part or your rank doesn't matter ( though AOA is always nice). But you can't compare Plastics/Derm to perio/prosth. Family med, Peds, IM which is what the majority of med students enter, is not competitive, especially community programs.

Yea, no. It's a different skill set. Just because you're good at taking tests doesn't mean you're good at lab/clinic which is huge. Hand skills are something that can be trained, but some people are naturally gifted and you can't beat them. That's what it takes to be 1-5 at my school. This is like all the dental/med students saying they should've gone into tech because they could easily make 250k$ starting salary because memorizing biochem and coding are the same....

This just sounds sad honestly. You should take pride in who you are, but doing things for prestige and glory isn't gonna matter much when you have patients cuss you out while you're working 80 hrs a week. Also this thread is about derm. Half of my friends from high school think dermatology= cosmetology lol, you're not getting "respect" from the average joe regardless. If you wanna do neurosurgery or something, then your argument is more valid.

If you have the luxury of deciding between medical or dental school then you also have the luxury of choosing a career you are truly interested in ( which, unfortunately, most people don't get). While I don't think passion is the end all to be all, it is a factor to be considered. I would look into the term ikigai.

So you agreed with almost everything I said, except for the lab-work taking a chunk of time, and the idea that people choose medicine because of ego? How is that wrong? I'm not saying it's the deciding factor, but I was responding to the OP's question, would orthodontists/other people in dentistry choose dermatology. I said probably not, unless they have an ego. That's a good thing. I agree that you should not pick careers due to money, or the perceived respect. In fact, after like 200k post tax, I'm sure most people can easily live how they want, and happiness comes from different places when you are financially okay.

But there is no doubt that any MD specialty, even "derm = cosmetology" is viewed better than any dental specialty, and that this plays a role in people deciding medicine over dentistry. If you are arguing against that, then I feel you are out of touch with reality. Now, whether that should be a consideration at all, is up for debate.

If medicine was not viewed as more prestigious, no way in hell there would be more applicants to it than dentistry. Dentistry offers a great lifestyle (barring the debt at some institutions), and specialties like OMFS are OP as hell in private practice. You would think that more people would flock to it.

Also, just because FM/IM/peds isn't competitive in MD circles, doesn't mean the applicants themselves aren't better than your average DDS applicant to specialties. This is just based from step 1 scores, vs DDS students who take the CBSE. And, I know for a fact, that dental students study using same resources/ lengthy time periods for the cbse. Also, the point about class rank is school dependent. Several dental schools are P/F, and medical schools with P/F often have internal rankings. But, step 1 is more important anyways, and a lot harder to do well in than doing well in medical school.

I wouldn't know how hard hand work is, but it seems like there's a ceiling based on genetics? Either way, idk how big lab grading is in dental school and how it decides your class rank. If it's a big factor, then okay, point taken: different skillsets.

Also your lab time seems like doing rotations while studying for shelf-exams. Also, "glorified shadowing" can be true. Yes, some preceptors will make your rotations like this. You still need to learn core skills, such as taking history etc.

Now, to the point of "dermatology = cosmetology". That might be the silliest thing I heard lmao. What I have heard is derm = nasty ew I wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited:

Agree with you on this.

To simplify more. I would say that early in ones life, people have certain notions hammered in them. Asians = you must be a doctor etc. They go into it with a certain perception and with a certain ego, which is of course perpetuated by their peers/ media etc. Sure, there's also passion involved, and you wouldn't be able to get through either schooling without at least tolerating what you are doing on a daily basis.

This hypothetical question of "if dentists/orthodontics could go back into time, and choose medicine to do just derm" is implying an awful lot, and I think the biggest flaw and why the question is silly is the idea that people choose to go into medicine for a reason that I think is different than they choose to go into dentistry. I am basing this off this:

If you are just looking financially, and what it takes to get to a place financially in either field, then it is easier in dentistry based on the student groups. If you agree that the MD applicant is better than the average DDS, clearly, if you are capable of choosing either (ie you're a competitive MD applicant), it makes no sense to not choose dentistry, because you get to where you want easier than choosing medicine. IE, you study super hard for CBSE, beat out your peers and you're good to go.

Er, based on your posts it seems you're an M1 at a DO program....? It's very obvious you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, medical perspective included.

• Love
Er, based on your posts it seems you're an M1 at a DO program....? It's very obvious you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, medical perspective included.
Stalker

Your thoughts on prestige, work ethic, and ego are complete nonsense. You have zero clue about what you’re talking about so why don’t you just stick to the DO threads and you can learn about OMM.

Okay. Looks like I stepped on some toes, so the big gun "administrator" had to come out. Must be nice to throw that around like it means something on this site.

Okay. Looks like I stepped on some toes, so the big gun "administrator" had to come out. Must be nice to throw that around like it means something on this site.

You dont go to dental school but made a ton of false assumptions. You are a M-1 at a DO school for about....1-2 months? You probably should focus more in the DO threads to figure out a way to match into one of those "competitive" medical specialties or else you are gonna end up in a IM/FM farm.

Reactions: 2 users
You dont go to dental school but made a ton of false assumptions. You are a M-1 at a DO school for about....1-2 months? You probably should focus more in the DO threads to figure out a way to match into one of those "competitive" medical specialties or else you are gonna end up in a IM/FM farm.

I know what I have to do to get to where I need to be. And, I didn't imply anything like that. I implied: people pick medicine over dentistry cuz of the ego partly, and if people didn't have egos, they would pick dentistry because it's easier to be successful. Any argument against that, or you just gonna sit here and bash OMM? Cuz I'll do that too.

So we are resorting to strawman now? Strong argument you’ve got there.

Don’t you worry about my big guns and get back to studying 1st year anatomy. Your ignorance on the matter was amusing at first because I thought it was low level trolling. Now that I see you are serious, it’s become very sad. Maybe once you’re a few years into school you will learn to respect other professionals.

Also, just because FM/IM/peds isn't competitive in MD circles, doesn't mean the applicants themselves aren't better than your average DDS applicant to specialties. This is just based from step 1 scores, vs DDS students who take the CBSE. And, I know for a fact, that dental students study using same resources/ lengthy time periods for the cbse.

You realize that we’re not in med school right? The CBSE is used to test med students on their knowledge on med school curriculum... The test is literally based off everything you learn in M1-M2...

Dental school covers maybe about 10% of what the CBSE tests on, so we’re learning dentistry and then medicine in our off time. You think we use the same resources? LOL, some dental students taking the CBSE haven’t even heard of UFAP. Only students who did their research would know, yet all the med students know which resources to use BECAUSE ITS A MED SCHOOL TEST. I bought it because med students recommended it to me. I opened it and it’s got all this crap I’ve never seen in dental school. You know what we do in dental school? We do procedures. We spend endless hours practicing our hand skills so that when we are responsible for and treat patients in D3, we don’t **** our pants.

And med school is tougher than dental school? Bruv you literally just need to ask the OMFS that been through both... It's been said time and time again, med school learns material more in depth, dental school students learn WAYYYY more **** because we have to PRACTICE. GTFO with your "don't give me that lab is hard bs" BS. Most OMFS in med school say that dental school is way busier/more stressful/less time, so we have even less time to study for a test that you guys have curricula that are literally preparing you for. Dr. Rabah is ONE person who covers this question that many OMFS agree on and yet med students never seem to acknowledge.

This is a video that starts exactly when she starts talking about which was harder so you don't an excuse not to click it.

and here is a few others from our very own SDN that pretty much agree with her:

-dental school harder?.

-Is dental school as tough as medical school?

So once again in terms that you’ll understand, that means we have waaaay less time to learn waaay more ****. “Gee I wonder why dental students score way less in the CBSE, like I go to med school to study for this medical test, why can't they? Is it possible that they don't study the same ****? Is it possible that they have to study twice the amount of ****? Is it possible that that's why med students score higher? Nah... Can't be... I must be a genius and medical students must be way more qualified!” What a joke.

If you had to take a test based on everything WE learn in D1-D2 during the same time for your tests... lol... you wouldn’t even make it pass the wax up.

Get off your high horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah you guys spend 4-5 days a week learning this stuff. We can spare like 1 maybe 1.5 days a week on it? So it’s pretty understandable that we score lower. If we were scoring the same as you guys with that little studying time, then shame on you.

If I could do it again, I'd become a dermatologic orthodontist. I think that's where the real money is.

Damn it. You are so correct. I missed my calling. If only ... if only I could have been a derm orthodontist. A DDS DO. According to Scoopadoop or Scoopapoop or Imapoop ... I would finally have what has been missing my entire career.

PRESTIGE and EGO.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Damn it. You are so correct. I missed my calling. If only ... if only I could have been a derm orthodontist. A DDS DO. According to Scoopadoop or Scoopapoop or Imapoop ... I would finally have what has been missing my entire career.

PRESTIGE and EGO.
Or maybe an orthodonto-pedic surgeon. I’d fix teeth AND broken bones.