1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Des Moines, IA or Pomona, CA?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Mahjeel, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Mahjeel

Mahjeel New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have just gotten interviews from two osteopathic schools for the year 2002. The two interviews are from Des Moines and Western University in Pomona, CA. Which do you guys think is better? Also, both me and my husband are full time students so we need to be somewhere where the living expenses are cheap. So which one is cheaper? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Being from California and now attending DMU.... Des Moines is CHEAPER!!! I love the school and the people.... :)

I'm sure there will be other factors in your decision, but if you're looking at a cheaper place to live at.... the Des Moines is hands down much cheaper than living in California.

Good luck, :cool:

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I forgot how much Western U's tuition is but DMU is pretty darn HIGH!!! Living expenses will be cheaper in Des Moines.

Anyway, just wanted to add that in before going back to studyin'

Later, :cool:

5. guppies

guppies Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

DMU is cheaper than Westernu

Founding date: March 1977
    Affiliation: Western University, A Graduate University of Medical Sciences

Tuition: $28,010

Founding date: 1898
    Affiliation: Des Moines University ?Osteopathic Medical Center

Accreditation:
    American Osteopathic Association

Tuition: $24,900

6. Eric714

Eric714 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd go to Des Moines...

Eric, MSII
    COMP

7. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Affiliations are important too-- that would greatly favor pamona. Although i loved des moines i found it odd that they didn't have any affiliation with some hospitals in the very near area. Go with the gut feeling you get in each of the schools-- actually being there and feeling what the school has to offer will be invaluable!!

8. emt30119

emt30119 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Des Moines, unless you like sports, all we have is AAA baseball, Minor hockey leage,and Minor soccer. Oh yea and we have Arena Football thats fun.... wait I think were losing that team, its going out of business.

9. Mahjeel

Mahjeel New Member

Thank you for everyone's input on which place is cheaper to live. Could you also give me some input as to the two universities' curriculum, faculty, and general quality?

10. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with most of the previous comments here, but my advice would be to visit the two schools and interview there to get a better perspective. Talk to as many students/faculty as you can from each school trying to get a variety of viewpoints on each school. Des Moines is definitely a bit cheaper to attend in terms of living expenses than California, but California has its perks as well location-wise.

11. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Good point! Go with a super open mind to both- try to be as neutral as you can before so you get an unbiased feel while there. Truly, you can't go wrong with either one!!

12. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Their are really pros and cons for both. I really like DMU and the students. It seemed to really have the college atmosphere, where I didn't feel that way with Pomona. But I have to agree with Jhug about the affiliations. It seems that Pomona has some more concrete connections then DMU. My feelings of Pomona were good except for the fact that it seemed they were still working on their curriculum. Pomona is more expensive and it is hard to live near campus, if you even want to live next to campus, where DMU has some close by places and the area was nice. But Pomona has the beach close by and all those cool things of Southern California, plus traveling is better to Pomona then to DMU which is much more expensive. I know that this probably doesn't help you to much, but if you have the priorities that you want already set in your mind you might be able to look through the pros and cons above and see which you think are more important. Good Luck, I wish you the best of luck.

13. macman

macman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My two cents: I have the added perspective of having been around both schools (I attend DMU and was at Pomona for a conference last month). I would like to clear one thing up: I do not think that Pomona's location is anything to be excited about. The area around the school is highways and strip malls; granted LA is about an hour away, but how many of us have the $ or time for road trips. I would actually side with Des Moines on location given that as a student it meets more needs (cost, friendlyness, less travelling to get/do stuff than Pomona).
    School-wise I have been happy at DMU-the rotations thing is alreay changing for DO 05 and for those who are current on their OPTIs we have just expanded our hospital connections. Some see our "unstructured" 3/4 years as a disadvantage, I like the flexibility and students who want structure can go to the ohio core or stay in Des Moines-those who like to travel do that and with our class's match-everyone pretty much got what they wanted.
    If you like OMM, come here. As far as Pomona I cannot comment on their program. (Sorry to Pomona students for slamming the area-I just do not like urban sprawl)

14. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Macman- No problem at all.. I don't think a whole lot of us think it is the most beautiful place to go to school, but we tolerate it and with the nice sunny days and the view of the mountains, it can actually be kinda pleasant to eat outside and chat with our friends. LA is a bit of a drive from Pomona, but one aspect of living in California is that you'll end up using the highways a lot for most places you end up going.. just seems like one of those things. I'm actually from Texas so I'm used to taking the car to get everywhere. Some of my classmates have been going skiing and snowboarding semi-on various weekends recently as the slopes aren't too far away so I think that proximity works well for them. I just notice the difference of snowboarding here and in Colorado... it was sure a lot warmer during the daytime at the slopes!

Anyway, personally, I'm not too picky and I've lived in either suburbs or the inner city most of my life, so this isn't much of a surprise to me. I'm sure the surrounding areas of DMU are a lot easier on the eyes as well as the environment/atmosphere. Too bad I haven't had a chance to visit the campus yet... perhaps in the future.

Hope the semester is going well for you guys over there!