1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Des Moines Orientation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by [email protected], Jun 5, 2000.

1. Stasch@DMU

10+ Year Member

I recieved the orientation packet for Des Moines a little while ago and I was wondering if anyone was planning on going to the AAA baseball game. I heard it is a ton of fun from present first year students. I just wanted to get to know some names before I get there so I am not totally alone [​IMG]

Thanks
    Stasch

------------------
    DMU
    Class of 2004

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alpha1phi

alpha1phi Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't received my orientation packet yet, so I don't know anything about the baseball game yet...but did they give any more info/suggestions on housing??

Where are you from???

I'm anxious to start meeing some future classmates!!

Beth

4. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am most likely game for the game.

5. medstudent2b

medstudent2b Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I declined the game for the simple reason that it appeared to be a long day and I didn't think I would enjoy a game with all new faces. That's just me. I think my time will be better spent getting settled in as I am not moving down until the weekend before.

6. vtach

vtach Zzzzzz...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OK I am the new guy on the Block and I just found out via the phone! I am not sure if I can convert from the Omaha Golden Spikes to the Iowa Cubs, but what the heck, its baseball. I hope I get the packet soon!!!!Dr. Bates said my info would be sent out today.

Todd

7. alpha1phi

alpha1phi Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey...what else is on the schedule for orientation...does it sound like a lot of boring stuff - or more fun, casual, get-ta-know-ya type of things...??

8. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have heard something about an underground keg party! I guess that is one way to break the ice and make a fool of ourselves.

9. alpha1phi

alpha1phi Member
    10+ Year Member

A kegger, huh? that could be dangerous! Well, at least we know that our outrageous tuition money goes toward good use! haha

10. freddyca

freddyca Junior Member

Hi Everyone

Has anyone received any type of roomate matching information in their orientation packet from the school?

11. Stasch@DMU

10+ Year Member

Thanks for all the replies! I will try to answer some of the questions asked.

Alpha1phi: I got a huge packet on housing, physicals, orientation, etc. about two weeks ago. It had a booklet on the various types of housing in and near Des Moines as well as a roommate matching form in which the school can help pair you up with someone based on your response to a seris of questions. Things like are you a smoker - have pets - are you a 'clean' preson - were all considered. I have been to Des Moines twice to find a place so I know some of the places that seemed nice and reasonably priced. If you want to hear about them, let me know - my e-mail is [email protected]ial.com
    Oh, I went to school in River Falls (near the twin cities) but I am from Mayville WI.
    Other stuff on the schedule were things like pictures, white coat measurements, honor code, insurance, financial aid, health forms - ya know the standard required stuff. As for social things, they had the baseball game, picnics, "campus clubs" presentations, things like that.

Thanks everyone.
    I will see you all in August!! Man this summer is just flying by.

Stasch

PS Beth, where are you from??

------------------
    DMU
    Class of 2004

12. alpha1phi

alpha1phi Member
    10+ Year Member

stasch - I'm from Michigan!

Where is everyone else out there from??

I am planning on going tdown again to pick an apartment at the end of this month - but am not thrilled about the drive! Do you already have a place picked!?? I think that I have a list of places that I am looking into under another topic - let me know what you think! Or else e-mail me ([email protected])

13. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman Member
    10+ Year Member

Im one of your future classmates also,
    Im from Milwaukee Wisconsin and am looking forward to meeting you all soon. Stasch, I am going to have to look into getting NFL sunday ticket for cable, I don't think that Des Moines will broadcast THE game.

14. alpha1phi

alpha1phi Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey - I was thinking about a get-together on tuesday?? (before orientation actually starts) It might be nice to have a few familiar faces before we meet the other 200 classmates! =) Lemme know what you all think!!

beth