Des Moines Seats Left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that there are numerous seats available at Des Moines, IS this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that I read a post somewhere on this board that, an individual interviewed there about a month ago, and half the seats were still open. You might want to look around there is another thread somewhere on this board about DMU interviews

GO Hawkeyes

Hell, last year, when I applied to DMU, they told right up until I moved to Kirksville [June], that there were seats left and that I was still being actively considered for an interview. But that "they could give no information over the phone" and that "I would receive a letter indicating my status in under 2 weeks". I had received that same set of answers since the previous Feb/March.

In fact, I'm almost thru with my MS-1 year at KCOM and as far as I know, I AM STILL UNDER ACTIVE CONSIDERATION AT DMU!!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oldmandave,
What are you saying! I hope you are not saying the Kirksville is a better school than DMU. I am a 4th year at DMU. It has its problems like everyother school. Probably the biggest is the preceptor based clinical rotations. Sorry to say that Kirksville has the same sucky system.

Kent

Kent Ray,
I am not 100% positive about this but I think that KCOM's rotations are closer to the hospital based rotations than they are preceptor based in the fact that you do still get lectures etc. If that isn't the case now I think that will be in plase by the time our class is in rotations.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Hskermdic,
Both DMU and Kirksville have numerous hospital affiliations. This does not mean that you will get a good clinical education. Take my word for it. I have been to several of these hospitals that are associated with both schools. Yes they have morning report and noon lecture, harrison's club.... The most important part of your clinical education is your teaching attendings (not including your study habbits). Osteopathic attendings are hardly ever paid for their efforts. This means that your attendings cannot afford to sit down with you three or four times a week for an hour or two.
Programs use the money they get from HCFA, which pays for the residency programs, to pay clinicians to teach. Osteopathic programs do not receive the same amount per resident that alliopathic programs receive. I am not sure on the legislation but I have heard that sometime in the future each institution will be collecting the same per resident. This will improve osteopathic education on a large scale.

Kent

You might want to double check old man, but I think that it is safe to say that you were declined admission to DMU. The letter might have gotten mixed up in your move. Glad things worked out for you at KCOM. Both schools are excellent in my opinion.

Oh yeah...if I had not thought DMU to be an excellent program, I would not have applied to it. I was actually pretty disappointed about not ever hearing anything. I would like to interviewed there...and would most likely have serioiusly considered the school.

However I am very happy with KCOM. No, the place is not perfect; but what impresses e most about the school is that they really listen to student concerns. I know, i am heavily involved in student gov't.

As for K'ville...well, I am a city-dweller and always will be. So, my opinions of the town are, shall we say unfairly biased.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!