Des Moines Students? schedule question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larryj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current Des Moines Students? I am interested in knowing the typical schedule of classes (first year).

Are you in class most days from 8-4? or are some days shorter/longer? there was a general thread on this subject a while back, but no response from des moines.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Larry,

As a first year student in Des Moines, I can tell you that there really isn't a routine schedule for each day of the week. They give us our calandar at the beginning of the semester with a layout of classes/labs and their times for each day.

On some days class goes from 8am to 5pm (or later depending on your labs). Generally though, classes are in the mornings and afternoons between 8am-12pm (lunch from 12-1pm). Sometimes we have lecture from 1pm-2:30, and then lab later in the afternoon (the time varies), and other afternoons we have free. Certain classes enforce the attendence policy (OMM), but most others don't.

I hope that gives you some idea. It's much different than the typical undergrad lecture at the same time most every day of the week.

Scott

Hey Scott,

I remember some of your posts a long,long (pre-med) time ago, its great to see you made it!

I will be attending U of DM this fall, do you think it would be wise to buy review books for the USMLE before school starts and go through them as you progress in school until boards?

Hey Bryan,

You've got a great memory - that was about a year ago that I started posting here
smile.gif
Congrats on your acceptance!

If I were you, I'd buy First Aid for the USMLE. There's a section in there where they review board review and grade board review books. I also think it's optimal to read the board review material as you're going through your classes if you have the time. That way you've at least familiarized yourself with the book and the authors style. There will be plenty of second years selling used books and equipment around the time school starts - so I'd wait before you buy anything.

Take care, and write if you have anymore questions.

Scott