Des Moines U or Creighton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight into this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Any insight into this decision?

i'm a dmu student. if you're looking at competetive subspecialties, i'd recommend creighton. it's tougher to apply to allopathic programs as a DO. i'm applying to general surg, and it's been tough. if you're seeking to do womens' health and prescribe birth control and do abortions, don't go to creighton, because it's a jesuit school and they don't teach that in their curriculum. DMu has a medical students for choice chapter.
primary care--dmu will serve you just fine. if you're looking at something competetive, and want to do an allopathic residency, good luck as a DO. you'd better be a SUPERSTAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Creighton! I'm a soon-to-be D.O. grad who firmly believes that when given a choice between American MD school and DO school - go MD.

As someone who' super happy with my osteopathic education but facing tough and/or odd choices pertaining to residencies, quality of residencies, which match(s) to participate in, and state licensing peculiarities, I stand by my advice. Again, the advantages to going MD have more to do with options post graduation!

Good luck!

p.s. I did some electives in Omaha and I thought the Creighton students I worked with were great!

ditto what VALSALVA said...

the first 2 years won't make a bit of difference, but clinicals will be much different (ie. university hospital setting at Creighton), and you don't have to go through the headache of taking or trying to decide if you're going to take both boards, step 2 of usmle, both matches, etc.... it's a pain in the a$$.
ESPECIALLY if you're doing something competitive.

to echo what everyone else said, i'm satisfied with my educaiton, but given that choice--unless you're [positive you're doing FP / primary care or have other reasons for being in des moines--, creighton hands down.

Go to Creighton! I'm a soon-to-be D.O. grad who firmly believes that when given a choice between American MD school and DO school - go MD.

As someone who' super happy with my osteopathic education but facing tough and/or odd choices pertaining to residencies, quality of residencies, which match(s) to participate in, and state licensing peculiarities, I stand by my advice. Again, the advantages to going MD have more to do with options post graduation!

Good luck!

p.s. I did some electives in Omaha and I thought the Creighton students I worked with were great!

Totally agree, go to creighton if you have the choice. DMU is awesome but the fact remains, your opportunities doing a specialty as a DO are decreased compared to that of MD, mostly due to availability of those specialties in the DO training realm.

I am a little surprised from my DMU classmates here, but in a good way. I really thought everyone was going to say how awesome DMU is & they wouldn't go anywhere else. I totally echo what others have said just b/c I am looking into more competitive fields & will be applying for residencies all over the Midwest (DO & MD programs alike).

I am a little surprised from my DMU classmates here, but in a good way. I really thought everyone was going to say how awesome DMU is & they wouldn't go anywhere else. I totally echo what others have said just b/c I am looking into more competitive fields & will be applying for residencies all over the Midwest (DO & MD programs alike).

i think that's the commonly held but rarely voiced sentiment.
i'm going strictly MD because there are basically zero DO residencies in what I want in the midwest. even if there were, I'd rather go to a big university hospital.
...i'm not going ortho, but it's frustrating that if you want ortho as a DO, you're basically accepting the fact you'll be in Michigan for 5+ years.

Good luck!

i interviewed at creighton for general surgery, but they wouldn't let me do a rotation there because I am a DO student. food for thought.

i interviewed at creighton for general surgery, but they wouldn't let me do a rotation there because I am a DO student. food for thought.

I don't consider this treatment unfair at all! I got a similar response from the University of Maryland and the contact there kindly told me that the only reason DO's couldn't rotate was because their rotations were in high demand and could be filled my MD students - seems fair to me. I was encouraged to apply to their residency program. There are several DO residents at Maryland so I see no issue. There aren't many (if any) DO's at Creighton but that may change.

Oh, and my rotation(s) were through UNMC so I didn't have a problem!