Des Moines vs. Scholl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mealea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted at Des Moines and Scholl and am having trouble deciding between them. Does anyone have any advice on how they compare and what the positive/negatives of each are?

I enjoy cultural activities and going to shows, which inclined me towards Chicago, but North Chicago doesn't seem to be an interesting place and I wonder if Scholl students have much opportunity to go into Chicago?

It seemed like a lot of the students at Des Moines were married and I was wondering if this affects the social scene there at all?

I would be interested in any input!

Thanks very much,
Mealea

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: Congratulations!! :hardy:
I have interviews for both schools next week! I hope to be in your situation soon =)

I was worried about a significant amount of the student body being married but my feelings changed pretty much once I interviewed at des moines. I'm as single guy most likely going to DMU. There's other programs besides DPM so you have DPT, PA, DO, and some masters students there as well. The day I visited there was an awesome pub crawl to celebrate one of the APMA leaders birthday. There were many DMU students hanging out and from what I understand, a number of people go out and have fun after exams.

I am deciding between Scholl and Des Moines too. Location wise, I think Des Moines somewhat wins in one sense since its actually located in a pretty decent town (or a quick 5 minute drive to the center). I was surprised by the large amount of bars, restaurants, etc in des moines, really seemed like a nice town and was building up a lot. Scholl is a little more than a hour by train to downtown chicago and the traffic really sucks. The name of the town is really misleading (it's like 40 miles north of the "real" chicago). North Chicago/Waukegan area is not too great (personally). I heard that most people don't go downtown too often, most of the time to party and such after exams. Chicago is an awesome city and all so if you don't mind the ride, then its fine. For 3rd and 4th year, some students move downtown or closer to chicago for rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was worried about a significant amount of the student body being married but my feelings changed pretty much once I interviewed at des moines. I'm as single guy most likely going to DMU. There's other programs besides DPM so you have DPT, PA, DO, and some masters students there as well. The day I visited there was an awesome pub crawl to celebrate one of the APMA leaders birthday. There were many DMU students hanging out and from what I understand, a number of people go out and have fun after exams.

I am deciding between Scholl and Des Moines too. Location wise, I think Des Moines somewhat wins in one sense since its actually located in a pretty decent town (or a quick 5 minute drive to the center). I was surprised by the large amount of bars, restaurants, etc in des moines, really seemed like a nice town and was building up a lot. Scholl is a little more than a hour by train to downtown chicago and the traffic really sucks. The name of the town is really misleading (it's like 40 miles north of the "real" chicago). North Chicago/Waukegan area is not too great (personally). I heard that most people don't go downtown too often, most of the time to party and such after exams. Chicago is an awesome city and all so if you don't mind the ride, then its fine. For 3rd and 4th year, some students move downtown or closer to chicago for rotations.

Socially, you'll have fun anywhere if you want it. It's like college all over again. However, DMU is better if you're more settled and want to purchase a house like a few of my friends did. There really isn't an advantage socially for either school, but there is a definitely advantage if you are more settled at DMU. You'll still have fun there even if you aren't (just like all the other schools), but DMU has that extra advantage of very LOW property values and you get a lot more for your money in Iowa. My girlfriend is in Davenport, Iowa still and her friend bought a 3 bedroom house for $30,000!!! That's a parking spot in Chicago...

Actually SCPM students constantly party (especially with MDs, PAs, Grads, and other DPMs), it's one of the downfalls of going to Scholl is that ppl WANT to go to Chicago all the freaking time. I actually developed friendships with ppl at UIC medical school and had friends at NWU to begin with with. The campus is good to study and focus, but ppl are never satisfied. When you live in Chicago, a 40min drive is like a walk in the park. I know that sounds crazy, but having lived there for 4 years, i thought driving an hour was normal... driving still sucked, but it was a part of life. I lived in the lincoln park area where all the Depaul coeds lived ;). Also, I'm Asian. Not that DMU is not diverse, it's that there's a lot more diversity at Scholl (and also at the other big city schools).

Chicago, NY, philly, Miami, etc are all great cities and you'll have fun at every school no matter where you go (even in Cleveland). The social scene is definitely important because you'll be there the next 4 years. I'm sure all the schools in big cities are really expensive to live, but you'll never get bored over the next 4 years cause the city is never-ending and always changing with something new to explore (i really miss chicago!).

I went to UCincinnati for my undergrad and though it's a small city, after about 1 year, i explored all the bars and clubs and shops and restaurants and everything in the city that was interesting... so it's not that there's nothing to do in a small city, it's just that you'll do everything in about a year if you really try.

Good luck, DMU and Scholl are both great schools.

Thanks for all of the information! I was also wondering about scholarships. I got offered a really good one at Scholl, but it was just for one year and it seems like it would be really hard to get it again a second year. Does anyone know if there are other scholarships available for second-fourth year students there?

Did you get the half tuition one at Scholl? That's what i got. I also received 3K a year to des moines which is renewable if you are in the top 25% of the class. Works out to be similar amounts in the end if one did well at Des moines.

Remeber the cost of living comparison when you look at your scholarships.

My adivce is go to the school you felt most comfortable at. You will to fine at both schools.

I'd be happy to answer any DMU ?s.

nm

Last edited:
since im from texas im not too sure on the heating costs lol. They wouldnt give me a figure at 3000 grand for heat/electricity in a 2 bedroom. Anyone who lives there or a 2 bedroom have any idea?

There are a few apartments around DMU that heat is included. I have no idea what a 2 BDRM with heat and electricity.

One last question: I really like to go out and see shows and plays and dance performances. Is there much cultural stuff in Des Moines?

I really like to go out and see shows and plays and dance performances. Is there much cultural stuff in Des Moines?

Although I am not going to either of the schools you are debating between I am going to give you some advice. See all the shows and things you want before you start school because the next 7 years (def. the first 2) you won't have time for anything outside of school work hardly. Focus on obtaining the most knowledge possible and doing things to secure a solid residency and then you can enjoy the cultural aspects of cities once you have your own practice.

Although I am not going to either of the schools you are debating between I am going to give you some advice. See all the shows and things you want before you start school because the next 7 years (def. the first 2) you won't have time for anything outside of school work hardly. Focus on obtaining the most knowledge possible and doing things to secure a solid residency and then you can enjoy the cultural aspects of cities once you have your own practice.

:thumbup:

So true! iam laughing inside my mind reading the posts of some pre-pods on how they want to come to chicago or go to NY because of social life or dance or this or that. Truth is that hardly in a month you might go once and that too with tension in your mind abt next exam.

In scholl atleast this year we have exams every 10-12 days. You can go on Scholl's website schedule for 2011 class and reconfirm what iam saying. One exam gets over and you could barely enjoy for the night and next morning you are back studying for the next exam.

We just finished our anatomy exam yestrday and here iam back again studyng Immunology for the exam on 18th. and then we have phyiology lab and lecture exam on 31st jan and then again anatomy exam is coming on feb 6th. You will hardly have time to finish your basic life functions.Forget everything else.

since im from texas im not too sure on the heating costs lol. They wouldnt give me a figure at 3000 grand for heat/electricity in a 2 bedroom. Anyone who lives there or a 2 bedroom have any idea?

2 bed 2 bath is about 860 and 100 bucks for utilities, the dmu highspeed wirelss reaches those apts so you get free internet on your laptop. So if you split your total cost per month is under 500. Also for first year the DPMs are with us in alot of class so you really have dpm plus 215 DOs to hang out with.

Members don't see this ad :)

So true! iam laughing inside my mind reading the posts of some pre-pods on how they want to come to chicago or go to NY because of social life or dance or this or that. Truth is that hardly in a month you might go once and that too with tension in your mind abt next exam.

In scholl atleast this year we have exams every 10-12 days. You can go on Scholl's website schedule for 2011 class and reconfirm what iam saying. One exam gets over and you could barely enjoy for the night and next morning you are back studying for the next exam.

We just finished our anatomy exam yestrday and here iam back again studyng Immunology for the exam on 18th. and then we have phyiology lab and lecture exam on 31st jan and then again anatomy exam is coming on feb 6th. You will hardly have time to finish your basic life functions.Forget everything else.

haha, yeah i remember those days... wow... but i really felt validated for all my efforts once i got my grades back. Usually it was one day a week (friday) that ppl would go and party as much as they could to relieve stress.

First year was brutal, but 2nd year was SO chill, only because we had tuesday and thursday off for clinicals so extra days to study, in effect giving us 4 days off a week, depending what month and what group we were in. 2nd year was deceptively more laid-back, but the courses were a lot harder, just a lot more time to study because of clinicals.

However, those weeks when there was a a big gap (like maybe 15 days between exams, it happens :)), we'd go on trips to Second City Chicago Comedy Club- highly recommended!!!, Navy Pier cruise (not recommended, very touristy and waste of money), The Chicago Archetetural tour - Awesome site in the Summer! There were good weeks and bad weeks and you really dictated your life schedule around the exam schedule, however the best part was having the schedule at the beginning of the year. Some ppl were home sick and would fly back on certain "open" weekends and return refreshed, others (like me) would just hang-out downtown with the new friends I made.

BTW, i'm coming back to Chicago for the Dance for Diabetes Fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association and i'm meeting up with a lot of great friends i kept in touch with. Nothing wrong with the other school's alumni base, but scholl has one of the largest and every year there's are plenty of pod functions going on in chicago... it's great to come back to the city and see friends that might have stayed in teh city or see ppl visiting from different places they ended up in.

BTW, i'm coming back to Chicago for the Dance for Diabetes Fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association and i'm meeting up with a lot of great friends i kept in touch with. Nothing wrong with the other school's alumni base, but scholl has one of the largest and every year there's are plenty of pod functions going on in chicago... it's great to come back to the city and see friends that might have stayed in teh city or see ppl visiting from different places they ended up in.

Unfortunately my dance partner left for india:( I dont think i would be attending D4D now so i guess no chance of meeting you. Would you be coming on campus also? it will be great to meet you. I have a long list of questions to ask:D

Unfortunately my dance partner left for india:( I dont think i would be attending D4D now so i guess no chance of meeting you. Would you be coming on campus also? it will be great to meet you. I have a long list of questions to ask:D

I was there for the residency fair, but I don't plan on being back to the campus the rest of the year. I mostly keep in touch with some Scholl/CMS friends through facebook.

good luck with everything. she chose India vs D4D.... wow, tough call ;).

This is really tough...i really really really liked both schools...
maybe DMU because of the location...in the city vs in the suburbs...

what did you guys decide on???? :oops:

For our class at scholl, I believe are gonna be the first ones to have the new curriculum. Finish working at the school's on-site clinic in December of 3rd year then off to various rotations in the chicagoland area (internal med, EM, gen surgery, wound care, VA, and pod med/surgery). We will have 7 externships, 1 month of private practice, 1 month of vacation, 1 month for the residency interview process, and 1 month for a special comprehensive exam at scholl.

We will have a 2 week summer break between 1st and 2nd year (much shortened I believe).

I'm not sure how to exactly compare the clinical atmosphere of DMU and Scholl. Supposedly scholl is increasing the available rotation spots in downtown chicago which I think is a great thing. Doing rotations in chi-town is a big plus for me personally. DMU you have the 3rd year in the des metro area and the 4th year is up to you.

Overall, both seem to be great schools.

While others may disagree with me, I have really changed my views on rotations outside of podiatry. While I think it is good to be exposed to all areas of medicine, I'm not sure how much you gain from some of them. Internal med, you write HTN pills and do prostate exams all day. ER you hang out and wait for foot and ankle cases to come in. Some other rotations you get to do so little it is a waste of time.

That is one huge advantage of DMU, my fourth year is completely up to me. I thought I was going to end my year with all of these rotations but now I'm just living in the pod clinics at Broadlawns. I have seen more surgery than some 1st year residents. The doctors are comfortable enough with me that I have been able to perform a lot of things that are usually reserved for residents such as split thickness skin grafts from open to close.

You can be happy at either school but I love my freedom.

yes, both are great schools...and tht's the problem lol
i don't know about being the experiment child with the new curriculum at scholl though...
from what i rmr, if correct, is that they will be adding in more research and that's why you don't get the summer off. Scholl is really big into research and i think that's a definite plus. But, when i asked about anatomy lab and how many people get to work on each cadaver, the student rep told me 6...this also meant that you got to work on it every other time. 3 people go once, dissect and then teach the other 3. the next time, it's vice vera...i don't know if i really like that much. At DMU its 4 ppl per cadaver...and shared equally, no taking turns.
However,at scholl it seemed like they were watching over your shoulder a lot...there were a lot of options/services available for students if they struggle through the courses...
DMU has much better and bigger gym...it's also located in the city, not the suburbs...

argh, this is tough.............JEWmongous, where are you headed?? what about mealea?

And what's the deal with most people at DMU being married??? how valid is that?? is our class mostly going to be of married people too???? :scared:

nm

Last edited:
And what's the deal with most people at DMU being married??? how valid is that?? is are class mostly going to be of married people too???? :scared:

I'm assuming you are a male, so I don't think that the number of married pod students will matter that much to you. While it maybe changing now, my class was about 70% male and the majority of those people were married.

As I stated before, you are going to be in class with lots of other programs. If you can't find one person out of ~200 females (DOs, DPMS, PAs, and DPTs), then you need to work on your game.

HA! You guys have it easy, we have exams every damn Monday and if we're lucky, we get a 2nd exam on Thurs to add to that like last week and in 2 weeks :eek: Ok all of this studying has made me into cranky person, it's 12:45am, I should be asleep but im studying :p

While others may disagree with me, I have really changed my views on rotations outside of podiatry. While I think it is good to be exposed to all areas of medicine, I'm not sure how much you gain from some of them. Internal med, you write HTN pills and do prostate exams all day. ER you hang out and wait for foot and ankle cases to come in. Some other rotations you get to do so little it is a waste of time.

That is one huge advantage of DMU, my fourth year is completely up to me. I thought I was going to end my year with all of these rotations but now I'm just living in the pod clinics at Broadlawns. I have seen more surgery than some 1st year residents. The doctors are comfortable enough with me that I have been able to perform a lot of things that are usually reserved for residents such as split thickness skin grafts from open to close.

You can be happy at either school but I love my freedom.

What you say makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to DMU and I'm not married.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the married thing???

Although DMU is "in the city" (sort of) I am going to live in the suburbs. A ten minute drive gets me a nicer apartment :)

If anyone has questions about housing around DMU I have gone a few times looking and have tons of brouchures. PM me if you want more info.

Although DMU is "in the city" (sort of) I am going to live in the suburbs. A ten minute drive gets me a nicer apartment :)

If anyone has questions about housing around DMU I have gone a few times looking and have tons of brouchures. PM me if you want more info.

Which apartments are you looking at?? And how much do you think it will end up costing you? I was looking at the 3000 Grand, because they're just across the street and there's free internet...
but a 10 min drive, that too in des moines isn't bad...
thanks for sharing!!

nm

Last edited:
I am going to live at Signature Place. It is off 52nd street in WDM. I think it is about 7 miles (??). I measure in minutes and even not taking the interstate I could get to campus in 12 minutes.

There are books you can pick up called Apartment Finder that have a ton of places to look at. You can search it online at apartmentfinder.com.

If you have any questions about places by campus or WDM let me know.

thanks DietMtDewAddict for the info...but i would def need a car if i stayed away from the school area...but is it the same price? or a bit cheaper than apartments around campus?

To JOezOr and others looking at staying at the 3000 grand...
I didn't have much time to look around, but are there grocery stores nearby the 3000 grand?? I wasn't planning on keeping a car...because that just ads on an extra expense...but do you think it would be necessary??

thanks DietMtDewAddict for the info...but i would def need a car if i stayed away from the school area...but is it the same price? or a bit cheaper than apartments around campus?

To JOezOr and others looking at staying at the 3000 grand...
I didn't have much time to look around, but are there grocery stores nearby the 3000 grand?? I wasn't planning on keeping a car...because that just ads on an extra expense...but do you think it would be necessary??

There is a large grocery store within walking distance.

whoa...u guys have 10-12 days between each exam? over here in cali we get 2 -3 exams per week!! in march alone we have about 15 exams! this is just the first year....no wonder our people don't post on SDN!!

whoa...u guys have 10-12 days between each exam? over here in cali we get 2 -3 exams per week!! in march alone we have about 15 exams! this is just the first year....no wonder our people don't post on SDN!!

How often do you cali kids go to san fran? I loved the city and everything but since the school is in oakland and you are studying a lot, I heard not many students go over the bridge to SF. Do many students live in San Fran???

:idea: we're getting alittle side-tracked here...but meh, whtever
i just got a letter in the mail from the cali school...stating they were on probation :(...which makes me glad i didn't send in any money there...
any thoughts on that??

i just got a letter in the mail from the cali school...stating they were on probation :(...which makes me glad i didn't send in any money there...
any thoughts on that??

Crazy.

I'm going to DMU and I'm not married.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the married thing???

I think that this is the best plan. I am very glad I live in the surburbs. When I leave school, I leave it all behind.

any thoughts on that??

what is up with that?

yes, both are great schools...and tht's the problem lol
i don't know about being the experiment child with the new curriculum at scholl though...
from what i rmr, if correct, is that they will be adding in more research and that's why you don't get the summer off. Scholl is really big into research and i think that's a definite plus. But, when i asked about anatomy lab and how many people get to work on each cadaver, the student rep told me 6...this also meant that you got to work on it every other time. 3 people go once, dissect and then teach the other 3. the next time, it's vice vera...i don't know if i really like that much. At DMU its 4 ppl per cadaver...and shared equally, no taking turns.
However,at scholl it seemed like they were watching over your shoulder a lot...there were a lot of options/services available for students if they struggle through the courses...
DMU has much better and bigger gym...it's also located in the city, not the suburbs...

argh, this is tough.............JEWmongous, where are you headed?? what about mealea?

And what's the deal with most people at DMU being married??? how valid is that?? is our class mostly going to be of married people too???? :scared:

Haha, there's married ppl in every pod class every school. Just from talking to dmu residents, they had about 15 married ppl in each class. That's about the same as scholl for my class, but we had 90 ppl.

Anatomy is 6 ppl for general anatomy, taken with md's (300+) but the lower course is 3-4 ppl. Personaly since I helped develops the anatomy lab, its the best in the country ;).

go to scholl, it's likely you'll get a better financial aid package there. My initial award were so good I cancled my interivews at DMU and AZPOD. Debt is something everyone needs to minimize these days. Plus with SCPM you're in Chicago which Trumps anything in Idiots Out Walking Around aka IOWA.

iceman, did you get the half tuition scholarship? That's the one I received, pretty nice deal.

another pro of going to DMU...free laptop and Mp3 format lectures...:D??

How often do you cali kids go to san fran? I loved the city and everything but since the school is in oakland and you are studying a lot, I heard not many students go over the bridge to SF. Do many students live in San Fran???

no, to live in san fran during ur 1st two years would be a commuting nightmare. it's not that far but rush hour sucks ass. if you are good w/ your studies, u should be able to go to san fran at least once a week. if ur an average student like me..going out so often would not be a good idea..maybe once or twice a month...it's not like there's zero activity in oakland..they have a china town and shopping center over here too..not to mention the surrounding little cities like walnut creek, emeryville (shopping centers), san pablo (casino town)..all within 5-15 minutes from campus. However, a lot of the 3rd and 4th year students live in SF b/c most of their time is spent there. Oakland's not so bad..so what if ur gonna dodge bullets, it makes u more alive! (kidding) ..alright, i have to wake up early tomorrow!

yeah, I got the half tution scholarship.

:D I just turned in my deposit for DMU....oh i am soooo excited!!!! :hardy:
So, hello future classmates! hehe

Yeah, I want to live on campus in the apartments. I'm thinking that by having my own bathroom, and a semi-clean roommate the double will be pretty nice and signifigantly cheaper. That reminds me I need to fill out that paperwork and straighten out my graduatation **** here.

Congrats Meats! Good choice on DMU, I'll see you in August :)

Yeah...there did seem to be a lot of married people at DMU, but I think there will enough plenty of us single people too. And come on, they're just married people, not lepers!

Lightfoot, you should join us on facebook!

I spoke to Meghan yesterday and she told me the class already has 50 ppl!! Isn't that crazy!

another pro of going to DMU...free laptop and Mp3 format lectures...:D??

haha, it's not "free", it's in your tuition at double the price ;), as long as the lectures aren't in wma... what a crappy format!