Des Moines

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Hawkeye, Oct 13, 1999.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Does anyone have an thoughts on COMS in Des Moines. I am going on an informal visit there this Friday, and I was wondering what to expect. I am only a sophomore at the University of Iowa so this is just a "campus tour" No interviews or anything like that. I was just wondering what some others thought about the campus, living, quality of education, and rotations, etc. Thanks for the responses

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. larryj

larryj Member

Hey Hawkeye,
    Care to share your impressions/experience on your visit to Des Moines?

4. rtk

rtk Member

Hawkeye;

I graduated from UOMHS in '98. I'm also a hawkeye and did several years of clinical research at UIHC before going to medical school. UOMHS pales to U of IA as far as facilities go (i.e.: UIHC is the largest university hospital in the country), but the didactic education is right on par. Think of UOMHS as a private college (as it is): more personal attention and the entire University is geared towards teaching students (one of the advantages of professors who are only moderately involved in research).

UOMHS also has other health care programs, so there are more faculty and facilities available for teaching. The medical library is the largest in central Iowa and they have a great computer center. Also, medical students can take advantage of the dual degree program. After the first semester, you can apply to get a MHA or MPH in conjunction with your medical degree.

...Gotta do rounds, I'll discuss some of the other high and low points of UOHMS later.