Des Peres IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicaldr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything or have any opinions about the Des Peres internal medicine program in St. Louis? I'm considering it for next year but haven't rotated there yet. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Guess no one knows anything about this place.

Does it even exist anymore? I rotated at Des Peres when I was a medical student ('00-'02). Internal medicine training was extremely poor. I'd look elsewhere. If you are looking at St. Louis, I'd consider SLU, Wash U. won't even look at you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a girl who rotated at Wash U (shes a DO) but overheard the PD tell one of the assistant PD (or something) the he would rather take a unqualified FMG than any DO.

So forget trying to get into Wash U IM. I didn't even apply there.

Anyone know anything or have any opinions about the Des Peres internal medicine program in St. Louis? I'm considering it for next year but haven't rotated there yet. Thanks!

It still exists and has its advantages and disadvantages. I think if you want to treat the general IM stuff that you see out there (HBP, DM, CAD), then you get plenty of training in that aspect. There are plenty of attendings with connections to help you get a fellowship. You are VERY independant (even as an intern you are calling the shots) Unless it is completely crazy the Attendings are fine with it. The didactic programs have picked up A LOT in the past year. I don't know the quality of them but the have scheduled meetings in several subsecialties most days of the week. I like the residents that they have they are smart go getters and are easy to get along with and are good at what they do. It is not the most labor intensive place you could go for sure. Most of the time it is a 6-6:30am to 5 pm 5 days a week with some (3-4)ICU call nights mixed in (The Interns do block nights for the non ICU stuff) a month. You won't see a lot of strange or crazy pathology here. You will get a couple of cool things a month but not like you would see at the Bigger Places.

I talked to a girl who rotated at Wash U (shes a DO) but overheard the PD tell one of the assistant PD (or something) the he would rather take a unqualified FMG than any DO.

WashU does have several DO's on staff, but they are connected to the most competitve Med school to get into in the country, so you could expect some snobbery.

As for Des Peres, my PCP works in the office building associated with the hospital (so does one of Dr. Still's grandsons). I've interacted with some rotating DO students in the office and the ER, although I haven't spoken with any residents. It's a DO dense hospital, but it is off in a suburb, so you're not going to get the action you'd see in a bigger bustling hospital.

I have a friend doing that is going to start an anesthesia residency there. He told me that they said they would not even think about an applicant for a position that did not do a rotation there. Also, I applied to a broad range of programs for my residency spot. Des Peres responded to my application basically saying that they appreciate the application, they think I have good stats, but they are not considering anybody that did not rotate through the program. So basically my advice is, if you are thinking about this place - do a rotation with them.

I have a friend doing that is going to start an anesthesia residency there. He told me that they said they would not even think about an applicant for a position that did not do a rotation there. Also, I applied to a broad range of programs for my residency spot. Des Peres responded to my application basically saying that they appreciate the application, they think I have good stats, but they are not considering anybody that did not rotate through the program. So basically my advice is, if you are thinking about this place - do a rotation with them.

That is true for ENT there and for the most part FP, but the other specialties interview applicants that did not rotate there but you have a big leg up if you do rotate there.

Holy Crap, I rotated there as a medical student...in 2000ish. Can't say much for the pathology, though it is a friendly hospital hungry for medical students etc. I had a good time there.

That's garbarge. I hate this kind of attitude. My brother is a DO and just graduated from Wash U residency. And he was chief resident in child psych. but that's psych vs. IM and it is probably dependent on the PD i guess.