"Describe a time when you faced a very difficult task"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the responses to these need to entail some monumental difficulty? Or can it just be a challenge faced at work or in an activity that shows how I would tackle a problem in a logical and resilient way?

Members don't see this ad.

Hzreio said:
Do the responses to these need to entail some monumental difficulty? Or can it just be a challenge faced at work or in an activity that shows how I would tackle a problem in a logical and resilient way?
The med school in question is looking to see how you respond to adversity, so I would say that you want to pick a problem that you resolved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wondered how the adcom at that school would react if you wrote about responding to that secondary essay as a "difficult task".

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
“My fingers trembled over the keyboard as I realized what my greatest challenge was the challenge of having no challenges...”

Have you ever seen this in an essay?

I've always wondered how the adcom at that school would react if you wrote about responding to that secondary essay as a "difficult task".
As I stared at this essay prompt, my heart started racing. I have never faced a challenge as great as admitting to the "difficulty" of my responsibilities, as I have published in Nature, medaled in five olympics, solved world hunger, and cured cancer with ease. The word "difficult" does not exist in my personal dictionary, because I believe I can accomplish anything I put my heart into. The whiteness of the blank entry prompt glared at me, as if taunting me to accomplish this feat. Dare I take on such seemingly impossible challenge? Yes. Yes I can. Yes, that's right, I reassured myself, I can complete this essay with grace, just as I have done everything up to this point. As a wise man has said, "nothing is impossible. the word itself says 'I'm possible.'" No mountain too high to climb, no essay too difficult to write. I took a deep breath and, with unsteady hands, started typing on my keyboard. It started slow, but then, the words suddenly started coming, and the typing sound echoed in my empty bedroom. Large drops of sweat slid down my cheeks and wet my collars, but I did not care. In that moment, I was one with my deepest fears, my heart was on fire from a thousand suns and I let my thoughts cumulate as the dark words filled the blank. My spirit had separated from my physical body as I let my darkest troubles, my inner demons, take their shapes in the formidable blank text box, until a message on the bottom right brought me back to reality. "0 characters remaining." I had done it. The challenge is no more. No, where was no challenges to begin with. The word "difficult" does not exist in my dictionary after all. The joy and exhilaration coursed my veins and filled me with only the greatest pleasure one can ever imagine at overcoming such a colossal beast.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
As I stared at this essay prompt, my heart started racing. I have never faced a challenge as great as admitting to the "difficulty" of my responsibilities, as I have published in Nature, medaled in five olympics, solved world hunger, and cured cancer with ease. The word "difficult" does not exist in my personal dictionary, because I believe I can accomplish anything I put my heart into. The whiteness of the blank entry prompt glared at me, as if taunting me to accomplish this feat. Dare I take on such seemingly impossible challenge? Yes. Yes I can. Yes, that's right, I reassured myself, I can complete this essay with grace, just as I have done everything up to this point. As a wise man has said, "nothing is impossible. the word itself says 'I'm possible.'" No mountain too high to climb, no essay too difficult to write. I took a deep breath and, with unsteady hands, started typing on my keyboard. It started slow, but then, the words suddenly started coming, and the typing sound echoed in my empty bedroom. Large drops of sweat slid down my cheeks and wet my collars, but I did not care. In that moment, I was one with my deepest fears, my heart was on fire from a thousand suns and I let my thoughts cumulate as the dark words filled the blank. My spirit had separated from my physical body as I let my deepest fears, my inner demons, take their shapes in the formidable blank text box, until a message on the bottom right brought me back to reality. "0 characters remaining." I had done it. The challenge is no more. No, where was no challenges to begin with. The word "difficult" does not exist in my dictionary after all. The joy and exhilaration coursed my veins and filled me with only the greatest pleasure one can ever imagine at overcoming such a colossal beast.

“And it was at that moment that I realized I was, in fact, God.”

“And it was at that moment that I realized I was, in fact, God.”
“Using my passion for medicine, I was able to heal the entire world using my godly powers - finally a world without humans.”