Describe a time you failed at something, what did you learn from that experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1013355

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really feeling either of these.

For the first one, the mistake seems pretty inconsequential. I suppose a nick on a person's jaw could lead to infection, but that's a very minor task and if you have to be completely comfortable before performing something like that, then that would tell me that you're too cautious and risk averse. That would lead to immense stress for you as a physician in training, where a lot of what you'll do is uncomfortable and unfamiliar. It's more about managing those feelings and getting the practice than it is about only accepting tasks that you're comfortable performing.

With the second one, I feel like the way you have it currently written shows irresponsibility and lack of diligence. I think this one will be a better option, if you workshop it some. Maybe say the resident was struggling to eat, rather than they nearly aspirated, and nobody was there to correct you and the patient couldn't communicate what they needed. This taught you that when someone with more experience is giving you information, you take that information seriously and make a better effort to commit it to memory by having them repeat it or writing it down.

Reactions: 2 users
which answer is better?

1) Had no experience shaving with a razor, always used an electric trimmer. Tasked with shaving a resident's facial hair and accidentally made a small cut on his jaw. Learned that I shouldn't accept tasks I am not prepared for and should ask for more time to practice. Went home and practiced shaving myself with a razor; didn't cut any of my residents after that.

2) CNA advised me on multiple residents eating habits, I didn't take notes. Tasked with feeding a particular resident who almost aspirated because I forgot to alternate food and water. Learned that I shouldn't always rely on my memory especially for important things and became a more diligent notetaker. Went back to my CNA and asked her to explain residents' eating habits again and this time I recorded everything. After that, all the residents I fed did not experience any issues.

Also for this question: "If you aren't able to get into med school within the next 3 years, what will be your alternate long-term plan?"
I'm planning on saying that I will continue with my clinical experiences and start new ones, continue my non-clinical local volunteering, retake the mcat after my score expires, and keep trying to get into med school. Is this acceptable or do schools want to see a different answer?
I like #2.
For the last question, this will depend upon the screener or interviewer. My own take is that you're falling into rhe premed trap of thinking that determination trumps good choice making.

I would not favor your answer because it shows that you haven't thought about Plan B.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm worried that this question is testing my commitment to medicine rather than "what would you do besides medicine?"; would you interpret it as the latter?
Mere persistence is not a desired quality.
Resilience means finding another way to be of service.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'm worried that this question is testing my commitment to medicine rather than "what would you do besides medicine?"; would you interpret it as the latter?
This is a common premed delusion.

Giving up after only one app cycle is a sign one is easily discouraged and also not committed.

Continuing to try after 3x with improvements is a sign one is not realistic, or worse.

I repeat, one should be realistic, and always have a Plan B.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi there, great questions.

It is difficult to choose an answer for you. In general, aim to show that the lesson learned will be useful moving forward. Try to take responsibility, and show that you have learned a valuable lesson. If you choose #2, please ensure that you don't frame it as negligence, but rather an oversight as it is best not to put in any red flags. These things do happen, however, and showing that you took this to heart, reflected and made changes is the important part. These questions aim to find out how this experience makes you a better candidate, so try to focus on that aspect.

For your second question, it is a good idea to reflect on why you may not have been accepted, and to work on becoming a better candidate and future doctor, then simply getting better scores or attaining experiences for your documents. Showcasing passion and dedication to this, while also being honest is better than listing activities.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
One time I answered: "The last time I got this question I absolutely flubbed it, and learned that I suck at interview questions."
High risk, high reward.

Okay, for a more serious answer, I personally like to tell a story about how I bit off more than I could chew, and learned to establish boundaries so that I could focus and effectively perform every task that I'm supposed to. It's true for me, and was a good lesson

Reactions: 3 users
This is a common premed delusion.

Giving up after only one app cycle is a sign one is easily discouraged and also not committed.

Continuing to try after 3x with improvements is a sign one is not realistic, or worse.

I repeat, one should be realistic, and always have a Plan B.
To counter your argument, I applied 4 times and finally got in. You can call me unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.