"Describe significant ties to the state" for an OOS applicant

premedmind

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Is there any special way to approach these questions? I don't have any particularly meaningful ties...except that it's close to where I live.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
it doesn't seem like you really have any "significant" ties then.

My best guess would be to talk about how you've always wanted to live in Xstate and that's where you see yourself living in 10 years or something

zayka

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That would be where you would discuss things like if you have relatives there, you lived there before, etc. So, I don't think you haveb really meaningful ties there, but you can probably discuss location.

Jul 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
It might be different from school to school. For instance, University of Missouri-Columbia turned my OOS ties and my entire family has lived within 60 miles of the school for more than 100 years. I just happen to live elsewhere.
:confused:

amakhosidlo

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
My best guess would be to talk about how you've always wanted to live in Xstate and that's where you see yourself living in 10 years or something

This. :thumbup:

Kinda hard when you're applying to schools in states you've never even been to, but for people with NO ties, they really become "Why this school" questions that you have to answer VERY thoroughly and VERY passionately.